Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
atanatizante

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

Unfortunately, this season will be to forget coz it`ll be just a cruel transition to the main one, 2014, were they are putting all the money.

Reason for this thought:
1. One reason is that Michael didn`t want to sign coz he knew that they need at least 2 more years to win a WCC. Therefore the contract should be at least for 3 years and Michael then would turn at an age of 46, unthinkable …
2. Another one is what Lewis statement was when he downplayed these year chances, knowing in mind that all the money and resources will be focused on 2014 when will really matter …
3. They`ve learn their lessons and the car is rumored to get rid of the all unreliable gadgets they had last year, such as DDRS (but most of all the bespoken interlinked suspension) and focus on copying the solutions proved that works on other teams. Saying that they`ll copy the McLaren`s Coanda solution, rather than RedBull, for the reason of better packaging with the engine (cooling, rads, bulkier than Renault engine etc.). The same story about the ultra compact gearbox. Now they will step back with a more reliable one, having in mind that the new one introduced in mid season was less reliable and the main reason was that it was smaller than previous one.
4. Copying others solution will be catching them on the back foot, coz lack of knowledge about how the new systems works, how to build them and most of all how to develop them, all of these will led them to face: a) teething problems at start, followed by b) integration issues with the chassis and finally c) hanging on the development rate, like we saw on past years.
5. At least but not last, for the reason that they will have to catch up an unthinkable 2 sec. per lap over the winter period, bearing in mind that Red Bull gained this time over the entire season!

Taking all above into account and knowing what car did they finished the season, all that stuff makes me very skeptical about good prospects for this year. So after 6 or 7 races we will see them hanging their eyes ahead to 2014 …
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

stefan_
stefan_

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2013

Jon Noble ‏@NobleF1

Mercedes now confirms that Toto Wolff will be executive director and shareholder of F1 team. Niki Lauda becomes shareholder too
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

aral
aral

Oh dear! this is starting to sound like "too many chiefs....". Niki and Toto are both Austrians, and I can see some friction between the two as each strives to be the voice of Mercedes.

Shakeman

ringo wrote:
Well the good thing is Williams is not a works team. If i'm using the correct term.
I'm not sure who will benefit more from this move, my guess is Williams.
2014 Merc engine for Williams?

Lurk

Don't think so, Williams provide kers for VAG - enemy of Mercedes on track and on road...

WhiteBlue

gilgen wrote:Oh dear! this is starting to sound like "too many chiefs....". Niki and Toto are both Austrians, and I can see some friction between the two as each strives to be the voice of Mercedes.
I don't think so. The operative role is with Toto. He will also have the F3 team and DTM to worry about. Lauda is only there to get the act on track, basically to hire and fiore the right people. Once he is finished with that he will take on a purely supervisory role and let the guys make the decision he has hired for the job..
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Mika1
Mika1

Andrew Benson ‏@andrewbensonf1
RT @alanbaldwinf1 No mention of Nick Fry in statement announcing Wolff/Lauda team stakes. Says Wolff/Lauda/Brawn "complete the management"
The boss follows me on twitter.

Morteza

Autosport wrote:Aabar had a previous 40 per cent stake in the team. It was then bought back by Daimler and has now been shifted on, with Wolff having a 30 per cent stake and Lauda a 10 per cent one. Daimler owns the remaining 60 per cent.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

k.ko100v
k.ko100v

Lurk wrote:Don't think so, Williams provide kers for VAG - enemy of Mercedes on track and on road...
Yes, but VAG are customers on Williams. I don't see a problem, Williams becoming customer on MB. Maybe if VAG comes to F1 with their own engine, a deal between Williams and VAG is more possible from a deal with MB.

lotus7
lotus7

Why does an image of Danny Bahar keep ghost floating in my head ?

aral
aral

WhiteBlue wrote:
gilgen wrote:Oh dear! this is starting to sound like "too many chiefs....". Niki and Toto are both Austrians, and I can see some friction between the two as each strives to be the voice of Mercedes.
I don't think so. The operative role is with Toto. He will also have the F3 team and DTM to worry about. Lauda is only there to get the act on track, basically to hire and fiore the right people. Once he is finished with that he will take on a purely supervisory role and let the guys make the decision he has hired for the job..
I hope you remember this at the end of the year. Dont forget, Haug also looked after DTM etc, so it is not expected to be distracting. The difference here is that Haug had no financial input in Merc F1, though he could have been rewarded by Merc. Haug says he fell on his own sword, but there are signs that he was given a helping hand.

Wolff has a vested interest in Merc F1, and will try to control it too much. Haug was bad enough, doing what Daimler wanted him to do, and look at the subsequent mess!

You say that Niki will do the hiring and firing. Well what happens when Niki says "get rid of xxxx" and Toto says "no way"?

clipsy1H

I bet 5 dollars if Todt resign from FIA probably Mercedes offer him a post .... i wonder why they didn't offer to Briatore a job until now?
just think about!! Brawn + Todt + Lauda + Wolf + Briatore .... such an amazing team (with names) but 0 results =D>

turbof1

clipsy1H wrote:I bet 5 dollars if Todt resign from FIA probably Mercedes offer him a post .... i wonder why they didn't offer to Briatore a job until now?
just think about!! Brawn + Todt + Lauda + Wolf + Briatore .... such an amazing team (with names) but 0 results =D>
I don't think any of the big teams want Briatore. Especially not Mercedes; with him having a bad name and the shareholders of Mercedes breathing down on the team, they really cannot afford to have such a controversial character among them.
#AeroFrodo

Mika1
Mika1

Hamilton arrived in Stuttgart.
Last edited by Mika1 on 21 Jan 2013, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
The boss follows me on twitter.

user001
user001

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04 (pre-launch speculation)

atanatizante wrote:..... So after 6 or 7 races we will see them hanging their eyes ahead to 2014 …
same procedure as every year...

sorry but with lauda, wolff and maybe lowe they will seriously kick as even as the car is already defined and built.

i mean in-season development...

merc will prosper

even this year they will be a first row runner all season long. they´ve learned their lessons. lauda will smash everybody at brix as long as till they will generate more rear downforce. period.