2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GrandAxe
GrandAxe

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Holm86 wrote: Weight is not at all the same as downforce. Downforce is forcing the tires into the ground just like weight is. But downforce is without mass. Weight carries momentum which forces the cars out of the corner. So you cant say that just because they carry more weight at the back that compensates for lack of downforce. That's just rubbish.
Of course, weight is not downforce, but both are vectors that press the car downward and that's what's most important. No?

If you already have a lot more downward force on the a cars than previously from this years very uneven weight distribution, then it makes little sense to add downforce to that and have the car pivoting around the rear wheels like its had a pint or two and wrecking the tyres. That's what's rubbish.

The front end needs more downforce to press the car into the road to be able tow it round corners, that's what I imagine 2014 nose and front wing development would be centred on.

A balance of mechanical grip (suspension etc), racing line, brake bias, engine torque (on exit) will take care of cornering inertia.

@henra: I'm sure you are right, its mostly going to be about downforce and reliability this year.

timbo
timbo

GrandAxe wrote:Of course, weight is not downforce, but both are vectors that press the car downward and that's what's most important. No?
Again, weight (mass) also creates lateral force. Adding mass to the rear will only promote oversteer.

Trocola
Trocola

timbo wrote: Again, weight (mass) also creates lateral force. Adding mass to the rear will only promote oversteer.
You will also get more traction in slow corners because there is more weight on the rear wheels. At medium or high speed corners will be different, of course.

Playlife
Playlife

Williams have shown off their nose now: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/23/a ... iams-fw36/

raymondu999

GrandAxe wrote:
Holm86 wrote: Weight is not at all the same as downforce. Downforce is forcing the tires into the ground just like weight is. But downforce is without mass. Weight carries momentum which forces the cars out of the corner. So you cant say that just because they carry more weight at the back that compensates for lack of downforce. That's just rubbish.
Of course, weight is not downforce, but both are vectors that press the car downward and that's what's most important. No?

If you already have a lot more downward force on the a cars than previously from this years very uneven weight distribution, then it makes little sense to add downforce to that and have the car pivoting around the rear wheels like its had a pint or two and wrecking the tyres. That's what's rubbish.

The front end needs more downforce to press the car into the road to be able tow it round corners, that's what I imagine 2014 nose and front wing development would be centred on.

A balance of mechanical grip (suspension etc), racing line, brake bias, engine torque (on exit) will take care of cornering inertia.

@henra: I'm sure you are right, its mostly going to be about downforce and reliability this year.
The more weight you have on the rear, then the rear has more inertia relative to the front. In said case then you need MORE rear downforce. The disadvantage (mass/inertia) of that added weight outweighs the added downward force of the weight.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

djos

Playlife wrote:Williams have shown off their nose now: http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2014/01/23/a ... iams-fw36/
That's actually not too bad looking. :)
"In downforce we trust"

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

timbo wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:Of course, weight is not downforce, but both are vectors that press the car downward and that's what's most important. No?
Again, weight (mass) also creates lateral force. Adding mass to the rear will only promote oversteer.
The lateral forces will largely be dealt with by the suspension. It is also likely that other teams would join Mercedes, Lotus and Red Bull with trick hydraulics to deal with it, which would further leave the downward pressure as the main thing to deal with; in which case, you would get understeer and might want to increase front downforce as a counter. That's the possibility I'm pointing that we could see.

f1316
f1316

Honestly think that the Williams render looks better than last year's (see car thread for side by side). Some of them will be ugly, some of them, if using the shorter nose scarbs mentions, will probably be fairly attractive.

I honestly can't imagine a fan who is otherwise interested in the sport turning off because of a tiny bit on the end of the nose.

Pup
Pup

Just glancing through this topic and others, I'm surprised to not see any examples of the skinny snouts with winglets attached. Surely that's an obvious route for development, isn't it?

oT v1
oT v1

Pup wrote:Just glancing through this topic and others, I'm surprised to not see any examples of the skinny snouts with winglets attached. Surely that's an obvious route for development, isn't it?
I think Mr Scarbs mentioned the Caterham have gone for that style (in the car thread)
The Power of Dreams

timbo
timbo

GrandAxe wrote:The lateral forces will largely be dealt with by the suspension. It is also likely that other teams would join Mercedes, Lotus and Red Bull with trick hydraulics to deal with it, which would further leave the downward pressure as the main thing to deal with; in which case, you would get understeer and might want to increase front downforce as a counter. That's the possibility I'm pointing that we could see.
Really dude, just learn some physics. You're talking nonsense.

McG

I would like to put forward an official F1T request that the 2014 cars shall be called Wang-Cars.
F1 is dead.

antiuser

Lotus has a funny asymmetrical nose...

aral
aral

antiuser wrote:Lotus has a funny asymmetrical nose...

http://grandepremio.blob.core.windows.n ... otus_O.png
Yes. To comply with the rules that tip of nose has to be a single tip.

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

timbo wrote: Really dude, just learn some physics. You're talking nonsense.
Haha! Even if I'm not so clever, have you seen the McLaren front wing? It directs air outward, away from the tub, instead of between the wheels (hint, hint).