2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

Zynerji wrote: Imagine the mind games Vettel could play by speaking in German exclusively!
In a predominantly English-speaking team? Not much, to be honest. Indeed, he'd probably annoy the hell out of his mechanics and engineers who probably don't speak German either.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:Anyone else noticed extremely short gear ratios on the ferrari in lower gears compared to other cars?

Few examples:
https://youtu.be/JrFNZRxDe8c?t=1m36s
https://youtu.be/JrFNZRxDe8c?t=4m52s
https://youtu.be/TGreal1ctbc?t=50s

TR:
https://youtu.be/JrFNZRxDe8c?t=1m
Williams:
https://youtu.be/JrFNZRxDe8c?t=2m13s
Could be short shifting to prevent rear wheelspin. Could be short shifting to sand bag...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

krisfx
krisfx

Zynerji wrote:
ringo wrote:I don't know how you believe he is better than rosberg. But after seeing what happened in his last year in redbull; i don't think it is wise for any top driver to team up against lewis.
4 titles to 1

I'd take Sebastian over Lewis in that instance.

Imagine the mind games Vettel could play by speaking in German exclusively!

... To a predominantly English speaking team? =D>

mika vs michael
mika vs michael

Don't read too much into testing times. Races will happen at temperatures 20 C higher. Also first test is more to gather data and check things. Ferrari fuel load may be 30-40 kgs lighter than the Mercs...Still they look in good shape but they looked in good shape last year in preseason testing. So don't be overwhelmed before Australia...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Mr.G

I don't get this about Ferrari. Everyone pointing they run with less fuel... Or have different program (they're not stupid)... All of the top teams have more less similar programs, they may try/check few things different but in core it's similar. None of the teams runs at full power nor Ferrari, they have new engine as everybody else, they also need ramps up... And last year it was different they top some of the testing days but with softer tires... And also all the comments from track side was that Ferrari improved but Mercedes is more stable... This year so far it looks like the Mercedes is little bit nervous than the Ferrari... Hamilton almost lost it, Bottas kissed the wall... And less aero checking devices on the Ferrari this year...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

giantfan10
giantfan10

Mr.G wrote:I don't get this about Ferrari. Everyone pointing they run with less fuel... Or have different program (they not stupid)... None of the teams runs at full power nor Ferrari, they have new engine as everybody else, they also need ramps up... And last year it was different they top some of the testing days but with softer tires... And also all the comments from track side was that Ferrari improved but Mercedes is more stable... This year so far it looks like the Mercedes is little bit nervous than the Ferrari... Hamilton almost lost it, Bottas kissed the wall... And less aero checking devices on the Ferrari this year...
didnt you get the memo?
Red bull always has some super duper secret aero package coming that will blow Formula 1 away. Mercedes is perfect and every part they put on their car and move they make is perfection. ferrari always runs with low fuel in testing to create headlines and cover up their ineptitude. :lol:

ME4ME

Some seem to imply that Ferrari were quick last year in pre-season testing but weren't throughout the season. I think that's wrong. Ferrari was actually pretty quick at the start of the season, before they eventually failed to improve from Barcelona onwards. They didn't improve chassi-wise until Japan, at which they made a much needed step.

Ferrari arguably should've won in Australia, could potentially have done very well in Bahrain if it wasn't for Vettels PU failure. They should have done much better in China if the drivers hadn't under-performed in qualifying and come together in turn1. Ferrari could have won Spain and were in fact faster than Red Bull throughout many stages in the race. Vettel did pretty well in Monaco, and could have won in Canada.

To say that Ferrari's pre-season testing pace in 2016 was entirely fake and purely a result of under-fueling compared to their rivals is in my view incorrect.

One thing that hurt them in 2016 was unreliability. This was partly a result of the massive step and re-design they did on the PU and gearbox. This year, although those parts have been further developed and are partly new, Ferrari seem much more prepared and ready. As a result, the milage that they have done so far will help them understand and be able to develop their chassi and aero.

I think there is a very good chance of Ferrari being much closer to Mercedes this season, and probably taking a couple of wins.

ferkan
ferkan

Ferrari, while fast in last years testing, werent as fast as this one. They used softer tires and used them in bigger quantities. This year they are primary running mediums and going about their own business.

On top of that,every on track observer has said Ferrari looks extremely good in corners. Last year there, again, while it looked good, car had hint of understeer and poor traction out of corners.

MckenzieCF
MckenzieCF

Hello everyone, it's my first post here on F1tech, but i've been following this forums for a long time now. I apologize in advance for some potential mistakes as english is not my native language.

Last season everyone was talking about ferrari taking advantage of Haas and the fact that since it was their first f1 season they could use as much wind tunnel testing as they pleased and to that matter, taking into account the proxmity and to a great extent partnership between ferrari and haas, ferrari could exploit that and develop large amounts of testing using that "loophole".

I always wondered why would ferrari "waste" that precious advantage on a season that would be the last in terms of aero rules.

So my guess was ferrari was gonna take advantage of that situation but not in 2016, they were gonna start developing the 2017 aero package for the new car.

That, imho, explains the lack of development we've seen throughout the last season. they were already focusing on 2017.
And the aero packaging complexity presented (namely the sidepods) in this years car is another clue of what ferrari had been preparing for a long time, exploiting the partnership with haas.

It makes a lot of sense to me but anyway, it's no more than my opinion.

Mr.G

MckenzieCF wrote:Hello everyone, it's my first post here on F1tech, but i've been following this forums for a long time now. I apologize in advance for some potential mistakes as english is not my native language.

Last season everyone was talking about ferrari taking advantage of Haas and the fact that since it was their first f1 season they could use as much wind tunnel testing as they pleased and to that matter, taking into account the proxmity and to a great extent partnership between ferrari and haas, ferrari could exploit that and develop large amounts of testing using that "loophole".

I always wondered why would ferrari "waste" that precious advantage on a season that would be the last in terms of aero rules.

So my guess was ferrari was gonna take advantage of that situation but not in 2016, they were gonna start developing the 2017 aero package for the new car.

That, imho, explains the lack of development we've seen throughout the last season. they were already focusing on 2017.
And the aero packaging complexity presented (namely the sidepods) in this years car is another clue of what ferrari had been preparing for a long time, exploiting the partnership with haas.

It makes a lot of sense to me but anyway, it's no more than my opinion.
good point, or they did it in some percentage split like 30% 2016 car and 70% 2017 car...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Big Mangalhit

Good point. When were the 2017 rules written?

MckenzieCF
MckenzieCF

Big Mangalhit wrote:Good point. When were the 2017 rules written?
I'm not sure, but if i'm not wrong they were aproved in 2015 mid season.
I remember thinking about this possibility for quite some time now and seeing this years car and its apparent state of
aero development makes me think that could be what happened.

MckenzieCF
MckenzieCF

good point, or they did it in some percentage split like 30% 2016 car and 70% 2017 car...[/quote]

That seems plausible too.
They could have tested some critical areas in advance for the 2016 car but with the 2017 car in mind. The nose for instance didn't change much wich means if that scenario really happened some other features were aswell tested in advance.
Anyway that's pure speculation from my side.
I really hope ferrari's back on track and their season to run well, for the sake of the entire sport.

Vasconia

ferkan wrote:Ferrari, while fast in last years testing, werent as fast as this one. They used softer tires and used them in bigger quantities. This year they are primary running mediums and going about their own business.

On top of that,every on track observer has said Ferrari looks extremely good in corners. Last year there, again, while it looked good, car had hint of understeer and poor traction out of corners.
Good point, one of the most encouraging aspects were that Ferrari looked fast with medium tyres which is good. Anyway taking into account that those new tyres are harder perhaps they should run more with softs just to confirm that they can be fast with softer compounds as well.

So with better traction and downfore+more realiabilty+good pace in long runs...this should be Ferrari´s year but sadly we dont know how much they are showing and how much RB and Mercedes are hiding(according to Horner it´s a lot).

f1316
f1316