2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

It is so frustrating when a team brings updates and they are out almost on the spot, specially the way it was. Norris was playing super safe and still got binned.

Hopefully we can assess Mclarens update tomorrow.

GerryTT
GerryTT

The turn 1 incident was Stroll’s fault. He dived from the outside to the apex like there was no one around him. On lap 1. If he had kept following Piastri on the outside he maybe could have sneaked behind Sainz. And Alonso could then have taken a wider line so there would/could be more room on the inside.

f1isgood
f1isgood

Has race pace ever been more useless?

Like legit what was the impact of the McLaren upgrades? We have no idea.

And cars cannot pass because except Red Bull no one has pace.

07Patches
07Patches

AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:22
chrisc90 wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:16
dialtone wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:12

Key difference being that kmag racked up 4 penalties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course. But those 4 penalties mean he was rightfully punished for his actions. It then begs the question, "How many penalties are you allowed to accumulate in a race distance?"

If the stewards are looking into his tactics for helping a team mate out, it will open a lot of interpretation going forwards for others doing the same. Then of course you need to put boundaries on what is/isnt allowed.
(hope you can see where i'm coming from with that)
Magnussen is allowed to help his teammate out just as Perez did. The difference is that Magnussen went outside of the track and did all sorts of manouvers that get penalties. Perez never did this.

I don't see an issue with Magnussenn wanting to waste his tires and compromise his race to help Hulkenberg but you have to defend legally. He didn't do that.
Completely agree, this case doesn't open up any opportunities really, kmag wasn't even attempting to make the turn on 2 of those overtake attempts, his sole purpose was to stop Hamilton. As you say, I'm all for good racing but that was blatant cheating and completely unsportsmanlike

organic

Kmag decision should be through soon?

Vanja #66

K Mag can't do this any more since FIA will hand him penalty points, enough for a race ban. That's why penalty points were introduced in the first place
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

TFSA

07Patches wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:45
Completely agree, this case doesn't open up any opportunities really, kmag wasn't even attempting to make the turn on 2 of those overtake attempts, his sole purpose was to stop Hamilton. As you say, I'm all for good racing but that was blatant cheating and completely unsportsmanlike
There's already a system to prevent this: license penalty points. KMag should be getting at least 4, likely more, for this race.

I don't see the point of this summon. If the current system doesn't work, then the rules are the problem, and they need to be changed.
Don't just make up bullsh*t summons or try to do purposefully questionable rule interpretations in order to impose further penalties - especially not if it's based on his interview after, because all that means is that drivers will just change what they say in interviews then.

Incidentally, this is just another argument for awarding points further down the grid than P10. The penalty point system on license works best for the top teams. But for the bottom teams, a race ban matters less because they're less likely to score points at any rate. Extend the points further down, and a race ban becomes a bigger issue for the backmarkers.

organic

dialtone
dialtone

Quali will be a repeat of yesterday with hotter temps at the start and cloud cover going away towards 5pm local time.

Baking temperatures if you are an f1 tire.

Sieper

TFSA wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:57
07Patches wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:45
There's already a system to prevent this: license penalty points. KMag should be getting at least 4, likely more, for this race.

I don't see the point of this summon. If the current system doesn't work, then the rules are the problem, and they need to be changed.
Don't just make up bullsh*t summons or try to do purposefully questionable rule interpretations in order to impose further penalties - especially not if it's based on his interview after, because all that means is that drivers will just change what they say in interviews then.

Incidentally, this is just another argument for awarding points further down the grid than P10. The penalty point system on license works best for the top teams. But for the bottom teams, a race ban matters less because they're less likely to score points at any rate. Extend the points further down, and a race ban becomes a bigger issue for the backmarkers.
The point is he said in a postrace interview he did it on purpose. That could have consequences. In scenario like this, where the whole world can see you did it on purpose, you must still say you were just fighting for position.

You must be a hypocrite. Honousty gets you in trouble. Not that he does not deserve it, but the fact that if you lie with a steel face you are fine is upsetting to me.

f1316
f1316

However you may feel about the sprints, I think this new format is close to getting the flow of the weekend as good as it can be. We now essentially have both two clear segments of the weekend, each with its own intrigue - rather than mixing things up by doing GP quali before sprint race - and now there’s added intrigue with setup changes that can now go fell or, indeed, backfire (meaning we don’t know exactly what’s going to happen).

You also have to separate out the fact of there being a dominant team from the success of the format - yes, everything is less interesting when you know which car/driver is going to win every time, but with a truly competitive battle at the front, this build through the weekend would really work well.

The only thing they now need to do is change sprint quali to be more different than race quali. IMHO a one-shot, reverse championship order session would be perfect - keeping race order based on merit but creating a natural handicap for the fastest car through track evolution (which could, indeed, not always go the way you expect eg night races, rain etc) - but whatever they do, right now it’s a bit samey.

Otherwise I think this is pretty good. I’d be happy with no sprint races at all but this is close to optimising the format.

Luscion
Luscion

Waz
Waz

organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 21:28
Seeing it as 3 separate collisions is so strange after starting the statement with the reason there was a knock on effect. None of it happens in isolation.

search

on German Sky, Stella just said that there was quite a bit of damage on Norris' car, among others on the floor. Some parts had to be changed, but he didn't really go into detail if they were able to keep all new specifications.

organic

Cooler track temps already than Sprint quali and sprint from what I can see