2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

basti313 wrote:
30 May 2017, 17:03
Vasconia wrote:
30 May 2017, 11:56
basti313 wrote:
29 May 2017, 18:01

Forget about Hungary. They loose 1-2sec on the main straight. This can be overcome in Q, but in the race they are a sitting duck.
Singapore may be a chance, but they will need again opponents crashing to score there. Also for Singapore you need some power on the chain.
The expected updates should reduce this gap so I still have some hopes to see a good performance in Hungary.
McLaren is expecting updates that should reduce the gap for how many years now?
They are constantly reducing it all this years, but ofcourse the main problem is they allways start 2,5 - 3 sec behind. That is the biggest problem. Even when they jump 1,5 seconds to the end of the season, they end up atleast 1,5 seconds behind the leading trio.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

godlameroso

They're already ~1.5 to 1.7 seconds off the pace and it's not even half way through the season yet. There is still plenty to come from both the engine and chassis, it's very frustrating that they haven't unlocked the full potential of both power unit and chassis, but it's getting there. The fuel economy will come along with the power.
Saishū kōnā

KingHamilton01

godlameroso wrote:
30 May 2017, 19:43
They're already ~1.5 to 1.7 seconds off the pace and it's not even half way through the season yet. There is still plenty to come from both the engine and chassis, it's very frustrating that they haven't unlocked the full potential of both power unit and chassis, but it's getting there. The fuel economy will come along with the power.
That's if Honda's updates work, chassis is coming along very nicely! the Mgu-h is an issue which need's to be sorted a.s.a.p then obviously then if they can get TJI to work then that will help Fuel Economy!
McLaren Mercedes

etusch

IMO there is no reason to prevent update works. They already found power at one cylinder work. This engine has unlocked potential. This is why they could found 10 kw power with that small update at spain. I don't want to say that it is easy. May be it is hard but it is there

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
30 May 2017, 22:08
IMO there is no reason to prevent update works. They already found power at one cylinder work. This engine has unlocked potential. This is why they could found 10 kw power with that small update at spain. I don't want to say that it is easy. May be it is hard but it is there
Honda cant find reliability whi simple Indycar layout engine and tons of data from many cars, how in the hell will they do it whit alot more complex F1 PU and only 2 cars...???
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

The Indy car blow up is simple, Alonso pushed too hard, he did incredibly well for a rookie, and he was always there in the lead group. It would have been a miracle to win Indy on your first try, and he got really close. The Honda Indy engine is the engine to have this year, and the Honda NSX Super GT car has nabbed pole twice, it just can't sustain the pace all race long. And they always out develop their rivals in Moto GP, so I think the F1 power unit will improve, slowly but surely.

I'm pretty sure Sochi was a reliability turning point, all these components they're changing I'm almost sure are different specifications, and wouldn't bet too much on them doing it because the parts only last two races. Vandoorne had an intake and exhaust system modification for Monaco, and Button's engine change was probably a new parts specification. I'd say the power unit is version 1.4, which is a long way from version 0.7 they started with in winter testing. They're not going to win any championships this year, and they're so far behind that it doesn't make sense for them to be conservative
Saishū kōnā

Sasha
Sasha

Max revs was 11,800(at the Indy 500) for honda and the drivers who lost their engines, hit the limiter(12,000) too many times.

godlameroso

I wonder if it looks like a broken valve or 2.

Maybe one of these, since it's a Honda :lol:
Saishū kōnā

Vasconia

basti313 wrote:
30 May 2017, 17:03
Vasconia wrote:
30 May 2017, 11:56
basti313 wrote:
29 May 2017, 18:01

Forget about Hungary. They loose 1-2sec on the main straight. This can be overcome in Q, but in the race they are a sitting duck.
Singapore may be a chance, but they will need again opponents crashing to score there. Also for Singapore you need some power on the chain.
The expected updates should reduce this gap so I still have some hopes to see a good performance in Hungary.
McLaren is expecting updates that should reduce the gap for how many years now?
The updates through the season was more or less worked, but you can´t expect a miracle when the car is 2,5 seconds behind during the first races.

A major PU update is expected between Canada and Austria, lets hope it can work. Its weird but Renault is at the same situation.

Vasconia

Ups, I had forgotten Baku. So three races in a row where PU counts more than anything else. Poor McLaren...

mclaren111

Question from non engineer:

Is it standard practice to use one cylinder dynos and then "jump" to assemble the full V6 ??

Surely there must be steps in between ?? !! ??

Twin cylinder dyno too test how the cylinders runs next to one another ??

Then maybe a V4, as it would be easier to spot problems earlier, and then finally the V6 ??

Thank you

SameSame
SameSame

Canada might not be too doom and gloom for the team. Last year Alonso was able to make Q3. If some rain comes for the race they might have a chance of scoring good points.

j2004p
j2004p

mclaren111 wrote:
31 May 2017, 10:29
Question from non engineer:

Is it standard practice to use one cylinder dynos and then "jump" to assemble the full V6 ??

Surely there must be steps in between ?? !! ??

Twin cylinder dyno too test how the cylinders runs next to one another ??

Then maybe a V4, as it would be easier to spot problems earlier, and then finally the V6 ??

Thank you
Also not an engineer, but a single cylinder prototype can be used to test things like the combustion concept to prove that it works OK. Everything from that point forwards would be a fully developed engine whether it's a V2, V4 or V6 this type of iterative development would be enormously expensive I would have thought.

Thunder

SameSame wrote:
31 May 2017, 12:50
Canada might not be too doom and gloom for the team. Last year Alonso was able to make Q3. If some rain comes for the race they might have a chance of scoring good points.
It's not qualy i'm worried about (though even that won't be good if Honda doesn't bring the Update), it's when efficiency comes into play where the struggle gets real.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

etusch

Efficiency also not something concern. Straight speed. They could save fuel on other parts of track without position lost and could push straights if they have good max speed