Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FW17

Re: Honda Power Unit

Joseki wrote:
FW17 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: What if they need to test some new parts before installing some others to evaluate?
The days of unlimited testing are over, now you get only 8 days before season starts.

Honda and Mclaren need to develop more simulation tools that can do this off the track. Be it a chassis dynamometer or a climatic wind tunnel they need to come up with something.
Honda have both as far as I know.

So they should be using it.

For those who blamed Mclaren for compressor in the V of the engine
McLaren has "never ever imposed anything on Honda" as a result of its 'size zero' approach, according to Eric Boullier.

Last year's MP4-30 was described as 'size zero' as a result of the tight packaging at the rear of the car which had been achieved in conjunction with Honda's return to F1. Despite numerous reliability issues in 2015, McLaren retains a similar approach this season and Boullier insists the concept does not negatively impact on any of the work Honda does when developing its power unit.

"I think there is a big misunderstanding with this size zero concept, which I am going to try to kill now," Boullier said. "There is no overheating issues, never have been. Second, the size-zero concept is to give the aerodynamicists as much space as possible to create and invent downforce.

"We have never ever imposed anything on Honda, they do what they want. If they come with an engine like this [big] then we have to accommodate this in our size zero, which would not be a size zero any more.
"There is absolutely no constraint and if we keep this concept because we are happy with it and we believe in the concept, it will help us catch up quicker faster than any others."
Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda's new head of F1 project, confirmed Boullier's comments, with Honda's cooling problems last season not being attributed to the car's concept.
"We have never had a push from McLaren to make the engine squeezed," Hasegawa said. "But last year we had issues with cooling, but that is lack of our experience and we didn’t understand how much size was necessary for the cooling. For this year we modified."

munudeges
munudeges

FW17 wrote:So what happened to this guy? Wasn't he a consultant to Honda after PURE wound up?

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/140699 ... inline.jpg
I would think he'd be keeping a low profile.........

noname
noname

FW17 wrote:So what happened to this guy? Wasn't he a consultant to Honda after PURE wound up?

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/140699 ... inline.jpg
He is consultant to Honda.

PlatinumZealot

FW17 wrote:
Joseki wrote:
FW17 wrote:
The days of unlimited testing are over, now you get only 8 days before season starts.

Honda and Mclaren need to develop more simulation tools that can do this off the track. Be it a chassis dynamometer or a climatic wind tunnel they need to come up with something.

For those who blamed Mclaren for compressor in the V of the engine
McLaren has "never ever imposed anything on Honda" as a result of its 'size zero' approach, according to Eric Boullier.

Last year's MP4-30 was described as 'size zero' as a result of the tight packaging at the rear of the car which had been achieved in conjunction with Honda's return to F1. Despite numerous reliability issues in 2015, McLaren retains a similar approach this season and Boullier insists the concept does not negatively impact on any of the work Honda does when developing its power unit.

"I think there is a big misunderstanding with this size zero concept, which I am going to try to kill now," Boullier said. "There is no overheating issues, never have been. Second, the size-zero concept is to give the aerodynamicists as much space as possible to create and invent downforce.

"We have never ever imposed anything on Honda, they do what they want. If they come with an engine like this [big] then we have to accommodate this in our size zero, which would not be a size zero any more.
"There is absolutely no constraint and if we keep this concept because we are happy with it and we believe in the concept, it will help us catch up quicker faster than any others."
Yusuke Hasegawa, Honda's new head of F1 project, confirmed Boullier's comments, with Honda's cooling problems last season not being attributed to the car's concept.
"We have never had a push from McLaren to make the engine squeezed," Hasegawa said. "But last year we had issues with cooling, but that is lack of our experience and we didn’t understand how much size was necessary for the cooling. For this year we modified."
I hope this puts an end to any more arguments on this topic. It has gotten very boring over the months.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

tom101
tom101

there is an unknown water leak in the engine block, and everybody in Mac Honda seems convinced saying it's not serious.

I think they are using 2015 engine with new ERS, so they are not worried about that engine

ringo

Basically Honda's problems are their own problems and not Mclaren's. This puts even more pressure on them.
They are a masochistic bunch. 8)
For Sure!!

noname
noname

FW17 wrote:"We have never ever imposed anything on Honda, they do what they want. If they come with an engine like this [big] then we have to accommodate this in our size zero, which would not be a size zero any more.
I am not buying this. Constant fight between aero and engine guys is a given, period.
I can believe idea of putting compressor in the V came from Honda, but I can only laugh when somebody's saying McLaren gave Honda free reign and would be happy with whatever they would come up.

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: What if they need to test some new parts before installing some others to evaluate?
Turbine, compresson, ECU, etc. don´t know a word about this, you can tell them, but they will continue with the need of some testing to setup and adjust the whole package when you do some change in some part

Andres125sx

FW17 wrote:
Joseki wrote:
FW17 wrote:

And they do, but as you probably know, no simulation tool can replace real world testing

Specially when past season your simulation tools proved to be unreliable :wink:

Lucky
Lucky

Juzh

This makes no sense. So mclaren had ~320 kmh top speed from the data we've seen. This would mean they had about 300 over the line. Mercedes had around 330-335 in the trap. That would put them somewhere around 280 kmh over the line.

Another Andrew Benson shitpost.

hemichromis
hemichromis

Juzh wrote:
This makes no sense. So mclaren had ~320 kmh top speed from the data we've seen. This would mean they had about 300 over the line. Mercedes had around 330-335 in the trap. That would put them somewhere around 280 kmh over the line.

Another Andrew Benson shitpost.
If accurate it would show that Mclaren Honda has more power but perhaps runs out of deployment later on.

something must be wrong with those figures

horse

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

GoranF1
GoranF1

horse wrote:https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 6279035905

I think he just can't add up...
It's strange yes....Alonso gained 40.9km/h by those numbers, not 20km/h
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

hemichromis
hemichromis

Mclaren Honda staying that close to Mercedes to 280kph sounds good anyway!