2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BeardedAce
BeardedAce

Re: 2016 McLaren F1 Team - Honda

Throwing their p.u partner (and major funder) under the bus looks as dumb for McLaren as it did for RBR. It will be interesting to see how Honda react.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:yep, I agree. I don't understand why he feels the need to be divisive.
He feels the need to protect his company. Honda is a partner, not his company.

Stupid behaviour if you ask me, but looks like he does think different :roll:

RedNEO

If anything this should spur both sides to deliver. Honda will want to prove it can deliver a great engine to end all doubt and McLaren will be equally as motivated if they know the engine is top class. A win win. How can none of you see this?

diffuser

well, I wouldn't compare that interview with what RBR did. That was on a completely different level and they were doing it at every opportunity. RBR were also hinting that Renault were not capable of getting the job done. While Eric is happy with the Honda's progress and making excuses for them.

My biggest issue in what he said is that the chassis doesn't take any responsibility for lack of victories.

ringo

RedNEO wrote:If anything this should spur both sides to deliver. Honda will want to prove it can deliver a great engine to end all doubt and McLaren will be equally as motivated if they know the engine is top class. A win win. How can none of you see this?
And if Honda makes the best engine, and Mclaren makes a crap canoe and they do as poorly as 2015, will Mclaren still blame Honda at the end of the day?
Honda will want to improve of course, but mcalren can't continue to blame Honda. They know the european media will more gobble up their releases over Honda's, so they will continue to put the blame on Honda. It's hard for Honda to convince the western world that their engine is fine and it's the mclaren car that's the weakness.
For Sure!!

RedNEO

ringo wrote:
RedNEO wrote:If anything this should spur both sides to deliver. Honda will want to prove it can deliver a great engine to end all doubt and McLaren will be equally as motivated if they know the engine is top class. A win win. How can none of you see this?
And if Honda makes the best engine, and Mclaren makes a crap canoe and they do as poorly as 2015, will Mclaren still blame Honda at the end of the day?
Honda will want to improve of course, but mcalren can't continue to blame Honda. They know the european media will more gobble up their releases over Honda's, so they will continue to put the blame on Honda. It's hard for Honda to convince the western world that their engine is fine and it's the mclaren car that's the weakness.
That's just your own assumptions and speculation talking. The facts are currently Honda is the lowest ranked engine. When they produce similar power/efficiency to the strongest engine and McLaren are still not winning then you get to say whatever you want but that's not happening at the moment. You can doubt McLarens ability to produce a great chassis but with everyone starting off on the same page next year writing off anyone could prove to be foolish.

Andres125sx

ringo wrote: mcalren can't continue to blame Honda
Of course they can! At least while Honda PU continue as the last-runner

bigblue

Bemused at the comments above. Saying the engine needs to improve, and we would have done better with a more competitive engine is one thing (already a bit undiplomatic to a partner who are working as hard as possible from a standing start, but OK maybe true), but saying we would have won with the top engine means "our chassis is really very good, and the engine is really very bad indeed, it's really the only thing holding us back, and is to blame". Ignoring whether this is true or not, it's a very very harsh / rude statement, and brings no benefit to anyone.

Sayeman

Honda doesn't forget, they will pay back....The clowns at Mclaren are too thick to understand that. It's like shooting ur own foot.

I can still see Honda being Redbull's engine partner in the future.
Never Give up.

PlatinumZealot

FIA should mandate the publishing of dyno graphs to give the fans some more to chew on. The teams don't have to worry because it won't actually reveal much, just peak power.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

GoranF1
GoranF1

Does Mclaren has the potential to one day build their own PU?

What engine does P1 use?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Wazari

GoranF1 wrote:Does Mclaren has the potential to one day build their own PU?

What engine does P1 use?
For F1? Highly doubtful. Too much capital investment and manpower required.

P1 uses same basic 3.8 V8 platform as 650S. Ask Sasha about details about the PU. He owns a sliver one. I've seen it on the road.
Last edited by Wazari on 27 Dec 2016, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

GoranF1
GoranF1

Wazari wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:Does Mclaren has the potential to one day build their own PU?

What engine does P1 use?
For F1? Highly doubtful. Too much capital investment and manpower required.

P1 uses same basic 3.8 V6 platform as 650S. Ask Sasha about details about the PU. He owns a sliver one. I've seen it on the road.
Thats a shame....looks like to much tension between Honda and Mclaren judging by how EB speaks and how you speak.
I thing if it doesnt work next year it might brake despite 10 year contract.

I DO hope that will not happen.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I wonder if Honda maybe got to involved with McL. Supply the pu, fund the team and pay for Alonso' salary. Maybe just supply the engine would be better, assuming McL wants to win, they would put more effort in a healthy financial construction.

ringo

There is a 10 year contract? :wtf:
Nostalgia really got the best of both parties. They seemed to have made some really emotional decisions.

From what i see, Mclaren finished in a respectable position, and also their driver Alonso, who has featured in the top 10 quite a few times. I know the Honda is not the best engine, but you will be hard pressed to prove that the 2016 unit really is bad and definitively the worst. (im not saying its not the worst, but there is little proof to substantiate it, and to say how bad it is).

When we had only 3 engines in the latter part of the V8 era, who could really say which engine was the worst of the 3?
We knew which one was most powerful, the mercedes, but to say one was worst we didn't know what really defined that and how to isolate that. This is why i think Mclaren need to relax and stop blaming Honda.

Their cars have had the "best" engine in 2014, and arrogant Ron was so full of himself and believed his chassis was so good, that he started to question whether the supplied mercedes engines had the same power as the units in the works team. He didn't want to accept the units were the same and that his chassis equally lacked in colour as it did in performance. At no point have we seen them admit to having a crap car in this new turbo era, and sadly i don't think they will. Ron is gone now so maybe that holier than thou culture will change.
For Sure!!