[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

JJR wrote:Congratulations to Matteo,Variante and HP-Racing.
Matteo really deserve to win.
Im happy for my 4th plce because my car was illegal.
...lesson learned...
Thanks! I have to wait and see the data, but I am sure you will be on the podium again soon.

LVDH

JJR wrote:Congratulations to Matteo,Variante and HP-Racing.
Matteo really deserve to win.
Im happy for my 4th plce because my car was illegal.
...lesson learned...
Unfortunately true, your penalty was very well deserved. But if the cooling issues can get fixed without loosing too much down force you are back on top.

A scatter plot showing down force vs. cooling very well shows what a good job CAEdevice actually did.

Here are the stone cold hard numbers:

CAEdevice

Thanks the data.

Would it be possible to know the cooling flow data? Alternatively: which is the law used to compute the engine power from the cooling flow?

Penalties are seconds or percent?

etsmc
etsmc

will be interested to see from the results if my lack of engine power is from the engine intake or the airflow through the heat exchanger. I have been working on the car and found a solution to open up the airflow to the heat exchanger but thinking about it now my issue may well be to do with my placement of the engine intake (looks like there may be an area of recirculating air in front of it...

Looks like the front runners will be close and then the midfield a tight bunch too.
big thanks to everyone for keeping this going its something I enjoy taking part in and learning as I go.

LVDH

In case I find some time today I will release more data in the team section of the challenge page.
Richard has to answer how the exact engine power is calculated.
No team lost power because of a bad engine inlet or exhaust location, so what you see is due to a bad cooling air flow.
The penalties are now calculated slightly different from last season. The penalties are now percentages of the average lap time of all cars.

CAEdevice

Here we are: the MP004B "open edition" (shortly "MP004C") is ready!

Feel free to download and re-use it or just take a look: the car should be 100% legal, but I can not guarantee that everything is ok. Here are some more details about the package and the links to download it:

http://www.caedevice.net/cfd/car-model- ... ce-mp004c/

I can provide a version without the diffuser, if you have problems editing the very basic one I included.
Don't expect to win the next race without any change: in order to allow to modify it only unsing extrusions I had to simplify many details: anyway, I think the it could have reached 5th place in Monaco.

The staff can freely use it to extract pictures for the rulebook or the website (I don't believe in intellectual property).

LVDH

This is really great. Thank you Matteo. Maybe this eliminates the need for the intro class car, or it could simply be it. I will talk to Chris.

Also there has been an update on the virtual stop watch:
http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:This is really great. Thank you Matteo. Maybe this eliminates the need for the intro class car, or it could simply be it. I will talk to Chris.

Also there has been an update on the virtual stop watch:
http://www.competition-car-engineering. ... Timing.htm
I think that the diffuser and the front suspension cover should be optimized but I hadn't enough time: if you could run a simulation with WFlow and share the results/postprocessing, I will release an updated version after race 2.

RicME85

Matteo, thats great once again. I have downloaded every version you release and always take not of the ideas you have.

I might have to use this as a basis for an entry so I can get involved in the next race. Im currently struggling with producing a car like I did when we first went to the LMP style rulebook through a lack of mojo and too many painkillers.

CAEdevice

Hi Rick, at the moment (with a more evoluted diffuser) the biggest limit of that car is the lack of front downforce: if you will be able to gain some N on the front axle, without decreasing the cooling flow, you will deserve to stand before my car in the next race :)

RicME85

I think that is the limiting factor for all cars isnt it? It certainly was in KVRC

RicME85

I have a question regarding the file structure etc for MantiumFlow.
In the readme it says:

Code: Select all

- special_bc
              engine_inlet.stl
              engine_inlet.txt
              exhaust_out.stl
              exhaust_out.txt
I create a text file for each and just copy and paste volume_flow=-0.15 into each file yeah?

Then in the rulebook it states:

(K4.3) Each engine exhaust surface as a separate STL

Is this still the case? Just wondering because of what the readme says. If it does need to be a file for each surface what is the naming convention?

I have downloaded Matteo's kind release and am trying to get the STL files correct for MF so I can get a baseline before I make changes bu the files are named differently for example:

heat_exchanger_sx
heat_exchanger_dx
cooling_inlet_dx
cooling_outlet_dx
Oh...and what about the suspension? Does that get added to the body.stl or does it need to be two stl files with front and rear in each? If so, again, what is the naming format?

LVDH

Hi RicME,

there are almost no requirements for a naming convention. You can put as many parts as you want into the vehicle body folder. So it could be a vehicle body and the front and rear suspension all as separate parts. Almost all entries last race combined all parts belonging to the vehicle body into one file. This is not necessary. As you can have as many parts as you want you could have a floor, a cockpit, side pods and so on. Just dump everything into the vehicle_body folder. This should save a lot of work.

For the special_bc it is a bit different as you create a separate .txt file. Its name must correspond to the .stl file. And yes, you specify the mass flow. Use a "-" for the inlets and leave the "-" for outlets. This approach is good for the full version of MantiumWFlow as it adds flexibility but we do not need it here. I will figure something smarter out so we do not need the text files.

RicME85

Thanks for getting back so quick.
Just one thing missed out of your response...the bit about the exhaust. Rulebook says each engine exhaust surface needs a separate STL but the MF readme does not.

LVDH

You are right, this is an inconsistency. I suggest for now you follow the rules and export the files as suggested. It is not necessary for MantiumWFlow and I do not see why we need it for the rules so Chris and I can surely fix this for the low downforce races.