2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FoxHound

Re: 2016 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team - Mercedes

Gerhardsa wrote:And then you get reports from Laude like this
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil ... da-795726/

Don't really know what to make of the article.
On one hand, one can clearly say that Merc is all about the team (not Hamilton or Rosberg) if you look at things like Monaco driver position swop, but then you get a stupid article like this.

Laude never had any filters when it came to speaking his mind, but he is clearly trying to shine a bad light on Hamilton. (and NO...im not a Hamilton fanboy)

I could personally not give a rats backside if he levelled the entire motorhome. Im sure plenty of the best, most ruthless sportsman in the world sometimes lose their 1@#$ at some point out of anger.

Makes me wonder what is going on at Merc some days. Cant be an easy pairing to manage, but then articles like this one doesn't help either, does it?
Sorry if its off topic. I felt it had to do with the team and what is going on there
Hamilton destroys his room.
Wins in Austria.
Zen is achieved.

It's reminiscent of champions of the past, including Schumi, Senna, Piquet and a raft of others.
JET set

Gerhardsa

Agreed

Jolle
Jolle

FoxHound wrote:
Gerhardsa wrote:And then you get reports from Laude like this
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil ... da-795726/

Don't really know what to make of the article.
On one hand, one can clearly say that Merc is all about the team (not Hamilton or Rosberg) if you look at things like Monaco driver position swop, but then you get a stupid article like this.

Laude never had any filters when it came to speaking his mind, but he is clearly trying to shine a bad light on Hamilton. (and NO...im not a Hamilton fanboy)

I could personally not give a rats backside if he levelled the entire motorhome. Im sure plenty of the best, most ruthless sportsman in the world sometimes lose their 1@#$ at some point out of anger.

Makes me wonder what is going on at Merc some days. Cant be an easy pairing to manage, but then articles like this one doesn't help either, does it?
Sorry if its off topic. I felt it had to do with the team and what is going on there
Hamilton destroys his room.
Wins in Austria.
Zen is achieved.

It's reminiscent of champions of the past, including Schumi, Senna, Piquet and a raft of others.
Destroying your room (at least saying that you will) is not the proper way to deal with a mistake but given the adrenaline driven sport that F1 is, understandable (and like you stated, other over ambitious champions had the same flaws, so much so that's it's almost one of their traded).

I find Hamilton towards the outside and press more and more professional. You can clearly see when he's disappointed or dissatisfied but stays fair towards the team and fair towards his colleagues. If I was Hamilton now, I would ask Lauda why he said that.

After difficult races from his side he's been fairly honest about his own mistakes.

A sharp contrast with his teammate, which is strange, because of their character, you would expect the opposite.

Jolle
Jolle

Phil wrote:I think part of the issue of that article (the motorsport.com one) is that it's effectively a 'translated' article. I just read the piece on AMuS and it doesn't come across as Lauda trying to shine a bad light on Hamilton. It also takes note, that he revealed that bit about the destroyed room before the crash in Austria. He also goes on to explain why Lewis said things were okay between him and Rosberg in an effort to get a bit of piece from the press.

Here's the AMuS article (for those that can understand German):
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 77669.html
It reads like more a sensational piece. The "zertrümmert" between brackets suggests more that the has thrown his water bottle across the room.

I also read the majority of the German press about the coming together on Sunday, even the translated quotes from the British press, they hardly write about the blame but focus fully that Wolff is angry and might impose team orders. (unfortunately my Italian and Spanish aren't good enough to get the details from those sources).
The German press seems to be at least as harsh on Hamilton as the British press is on Rosberg.

dans79

To anyone who knows anything about driving, it's pretty plane to see who is at fault.

I get the distinct feeling that all the babbling from Toto post race, is just a political smoke screen to keep everyone calm. Either the team needs to quietly find a replacement for Nico (not many viable options), or resign him. Resigning him could become incredibly difficult, if they publicly blame him. They are probably already having a hard time resigning him, with the tension within the team,
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:To anyone who knows anything about driving, it's pretty plane to see who is at fault.

I get the distinct feeling that all the babbling from Toto post race, is just a political smoke screen to keep everyone calm. Either the team needs to quietly find a replacement for Nico (not many viable options), or resign him. Resigning him could become incredibly difficult, if they publicly blame him. They are probably already having a hard time resigning him, with the tension within the team,
If (again, Rosberg fans, if) this will be their strategy, they will start by postponing his contract negotiations. Then make sure he won't be leading the WC (that would make the press so much worse) and give him clear instructions (do not defend against Hamilton) before pulling the plug or not offering him a new contract.
There is one driver who could sit in the seat tomorrow, Wehrlein and one that is under contract of Wolff, Bottas. So nothing to stop them there.

But I don't believe they going to swap mid season. They probably put a leach on him for the remainder of the season (the not defending positions bit)

dans79

Jolle wrote: There is one driver who could sit in the seat tomorrow, Wehrlein and one that is under contract of Wolff, Bottas. So nothing to stop them there.
I don't think Wehrlein is ready personally, and I have a feeling others feel the same way, thus why he is being linked with a move to Williams. He would gain another year of experience, and have the chance to prove himself in a better car.

I think Bottas is the most viable option, but I'm not sure what his current Williams contract stipulations are. Is his contract even up at the end of the year, and if not what is Williams going to charge to buy him out of it?
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: There is one driver who could sit in the seat tomorrow, Wehrlein and one that is under contract of Wolff, Bottas. So nothing to stop them there.
I don't think Wehrlein is ready personally, and I have a feeling others feel the same way, thus why he is being linked with a move to Williams. He would gain another year of experience, and have the chance to prove himself in a better car.

I think Bottas is the most viable option, but I'm not sure what his current Williams contract stipulations are. Is his contract even up at the end of the year, and if not what is Williams going to charge to buy him out of it?
Again, big if!

Do you think Clair would say no to their biggest and most important supplier? There might be, if there is no option in his contract (which is made and with Wolff) just a big cheaper engine deal.

But I don't see it happen just yet.

GPR-A duplicate2

Jolle wrote:But I don't believe they going to swap mid season. They probably put a leach on him for the remainder of the season (the not defending positions bit)
Why not? Look at Red Bull and the results since then, Spain, canada and Austria.

Jolle
Jolle

GPR-A wrote:
Jolle wrote:But I don't believe they going to swap mid season. They probably put a leach on him for the remainder of the season (the not defending positions bit)
Why not? Look at Red Bull and the results since then, Spain, canada and Austria.
Because RedBull is about young, wild and fast. Plus it was a combination of getting Ves away from STR and defusing Kvyat.
Rosberg has been a part of the Merc team from the start, firing him doesn't go well with the brand values. You have to feel safe as a Mercedes employer,

dans79

Jolle wrote: Again, big if!

Do you think Clair would say no to their biggest and most important supplier? There might be, if there is no option in his contract (which is made and with Wolff) just a big cheaper engine deal.

Of course it's a big if, it always is. No one out side a very small group of people, will know whats going on till the very end.

Just like in 2012 when McLaren was adamant Lewis would be resigned, until he wasn't.

Where would Nico even go? I can't see Ferrari taking him, they end up with the same problem Merc has now. RBR has no seats open, and every other team on the grid is a significant demotion.
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: Again, big if!

Of course it's a big if, it always is. No one out side a very small group of people, will know whats going on till the very end.

Just like in 2012 when McLaren was adamant Lewis would be resigned, until he wasn't.

Where would Nico even go? I can't see Ferrari taking him, they end up with the same problem Merc has now. RBR has no seats open, and every other team on the grid is a significant demotion.
There is a difference between getting him out of the car right away or not signing a new contract (what I can see happen)

There are several options if he lets the idea of being one of the big names (Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel) and not falling in the Irvine trap. If he sees himself as a Berger, Barrichello or Massa, there could be various options. McLaren (just like his dad), returning to Williams or even retire (or going to WEC)
RBR is for nobody an option, because they only take "their own" Ferrari would be a long shot, having two Germans isn't something that Phillip Morris would like.

dans79

Jolle wrote: There is a difference between getting him out of the car right away or not signing a new contract (what I can see happen)
I think the only way he would be pulled from the car mid season would be if he ran into Lewis another time or two.
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

dans79 wrote:
Jolle wrote: There is a difference between getting him out of the car right away or not signing a new contract (what I can see happen)
I think the only way he would be pulled from the car mid season would be if he ran into Lewis another time or two.
I assume that are the kind of "team orders" that Toto was talking about. Don't defend your position more then, etc etc. With a system of docking pay and possible no new contracts

FoxHound

@jolle

Lauda spilling the beans in this makes him far from innocent.
JET set