2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Me too. I want to see McLaren and Alonso fighting for wins again, and at this rate I can't see Honda with a winning engine until 2019.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

waynes
waynes

i think in the Sky coverage Martin Brundle said something about Honda developing the engine at Sauber away from the pressures of Mclaren.

While this is true to an extent i'm pretty sure Sauber want to be scoring regular points, not just being a test bed for Honda

GoranF1
GoranF1

Sometime mid 2018 or at latest 2019 Sauber will become factory Honda F1 team.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

etusch

Who knows maybe from start of 2018 season Sauber Honda F1 team become our new team. At least mine :D

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 17:48
Who knows maybe from start of 2018 season Sauber Honda F1 team become our new team. At least mine :D
My team is what ever team Alonso drives for....;)

diffuser

If they said on Sunday that they're gonna wait till after the upgrade, I'm not sure why they would change their minds by Tuesday.

diffuser

Fed up with being a back marker as well.

diffuser

OneAlex wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 16:21
As agonising as it currently is I feel like it would be wiser to wait and see what the new engine regs will be before ditching Honda. Why switch suppliers near to the end of an engine era (when the Mercedes dominance will be smallest) when you don't yet know what the new ones will be like and so can't make an informed decision as to who is most likely to get it right.

Of course, Honda has struggled to adapt to the current engine woes compared to Renault and Ferrari so perhaps they'd be rubbish at building something competitive at the same speed as Mercedes even with new regs resetting the bar for everybody... but perhaps the new architecture might favour Honda a little more. And at least they'll have an engine built in conjunction with their own oils etc.
The new PU regs might be little or no change. Going backwards away from hybrid is a very low probability. They want noise so going forward to all electric isn't high on the probability list.

That leaves the same formula with homogenization of some parts to lower costs, no change at all or a freeze.

If they Freeze, they would allowing some Manufactures some leeway to catch up like they did in normaly aspirated v8 era.
Last edited by diffuser on 13 Jun 2017, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:13
If they said on Sunday that they're gonna wait till after the upgrade, I'm not sure why they would change their minds by Tuesday.
Maybe they tought before the race to give them one more chance but then changed their mind after the race....still hope upgrade will change things around for Mclaren Honda.

diffuser

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:27
diffuser wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 18:13
Maybe they tought before the race to give them one more chance but then changed their mind after the race....still hope upgrade will change things around for Mclaren Honda.
I think the only reason why McLaren are waiting around is the Money.

Edax
Edax

waynes wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 17:36
i think in the Sky coverage Martin Brundle said something about Honda developing the engine at Sauber away from the pressures of Mclaren.

While this is true to an extent i'm pretty sure Sauber want to be scoring regular points, not just being a test bed for Honda
But that is different from Mclaren expecting to fight for a championship with the first iteration.

The relationship with mclaren was very asymmetric from the start. You had an established championship contenter with two championship drivers paired with a fresh engine manufacturer.

I am pretty confident that when the details come out Honda felt compelled or was in some cases even pressured to take high design risks. Making a car which runs reliably at the back of the field was and still is no option for Mclaren, they have to be top 10 if only to be able to fund their outfit. With Sauber that is not as black and white and they can compromise to make a stable development platform.

Pressure can be good. However all or nothing means that in some cases you end up with nothing.

toraabe
toraabe

GoranF1 wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 15:46
I hope the Mercedes deal includes Petronas fuel and lub. as well as latest engine maps...
They have to. When they used mobile fuel, they were 50 HP down on the cars using petronas. Now the engine is developed and calibrated using the primax fuel. I don't think Mercedes will allow other fuel being used.

j.yank
j.yank

OK, can someone explain, why Toto Wolf would give Mercedes engine to McLaren, after declining to supply RedBul?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

j.yank wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 20:37
OK, can someone explain, why Toto Wolf would give Mercedes engine to McLaren, after declining to supply RedBul?
brand image. the association of mercedes powering supercars vs mercedes and a can of second hand urine.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

toraabe wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 20:31
GoranF1 wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 15:46
I hope the Mercedes deal includes Petronas fuel and lub. as well as latest engine maps...
They have to. When they used mobile fuel, they were 50 HP down on the cars using petronas. Now the engine is developed and calibrated using the primax fuel. I don't think Mercedes will allow other fuel being used.
while i do think a specifically constructed oil/fuel will bring influence an engine's potential to operate on 100% capacity, i think 50 hp is a rather too high number.

figures like that are like 2016 Ferrari engine vs 2017 Ferrari engine, not something another high-performance oil product will fail to achieve. a dozen HP at max i'd say, not 50.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"