2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2022 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Am I over analyzing, or does it always seem that when Leclerc is asked about the Binotto rumors, he always seems to avoid answering directly whether they are true, or whether he supports Binotto.

Asked about them again in AD:
“There are always rumours surrounding Ferrari, we just have to focus on the job. I think people tend to forget where we come from, but we just have to look at the work and not pay attention to the rumours. As for performance, we’ve come from ups and downs. An accident in Brazil, but the pace was good. After two difficult years, we hope to finish and fight for victory again, even if we think about the 2023 championship. Stability has paid off, we are improving and will grow further.” – Charles Leclerc

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Personally I don’t believe Binotto to be the problem at all. Guy clearly knows his stuff. They probably need a bit of a re-shuffle in the track side operational team as it’s quite clearly sub optimal.

But sacking binotto would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Pointless

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 18:35
Personally I don’t believe Binotto to be the problem at all. Guy clearly knows his stuff. They probably need a bit of a re-shuffle in the track side operational team as it’s quite clearly sub optimal.

But sacking binotto would be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Pointless
He's a problem if he won't sack Rueda and Mekies because he's overcompensating for blame culture in the past.

I always feared Ferrari would become paralyzed right when they actually needed to sack people, because they didn't want to perpetuate the blame culture. But they've taken it too far. They are overcompensating for it. Now you can be absolutely useless and stay for a very long time. They need to strike a better balance.

maxxer
maxxer

101FlyingDutchman wrote:

Is it trackside operation which caused all the strategy mistakes or back at base where they should be gathering data analyze it and guide the trackside i think

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 18:53
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

He's a problem if he won't sack Rueda and Mekies because he's overcompensating for blame culture in the past.

I always feared Ferrari would become paralyzed right when they actually needed to sack people, because they didn't want to perpetuate the blame culture. But they've taken it too far. They are overcompensating for it. Now you can be absolutely useless and stay for a very long time. They need to strike a better balance.
Is he empowered to make these decisions?
This is what I asked a few pages back, is he 'Boss' in name only and having to act as front man for someone (or group) who actually pull the strings for political reasons behind the scenes?

There are several 'places' that have lots of leverage on what happens within the team and may have different priorities
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 21:10
AR3-GP wrote:
17 Nov 2022, 18:53
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

Is he empowered to make these decisions?
This is what I asked a few pages back, is he 'Boss' in name only and having to act as front man for someone (or group) who actually pull the strings for political reasons behind the scenes?

There are several 'places' that have lots of leverage on what happens within the team and may have different priorities
Well I said something like this on the previous page. If it's not up to him, then he's just a scape goat for the 2022 season because large corporations always have to have a scape goat. Alpine sacked the legal aid for the Piasco.

tpe
tpe

We all agree.
But obviously the big heads in Ferrari have a different opinion.
Besides, the big boss said 2026.

So, everything goes according to plan.

JPower
JPower

Interested to see how things play out on track this weekend ie team order scenarios.

Guess it really depends on Perez as I expect the Red Bull to be the superior car at Yas Marina.

Andres125sx

Just a reminder...

2020 WCC:
1 MERCEDES 573
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 319
3 MCLAREN RENAULT 202
4 RACING POINT BWT MERCEDES 195
5 RENAULT 181
6 FERRARI 131 (23% champion points)

2021 WCC:
1 MERCEDES 613.5
2 RED BULL RACING HONDA 585.5
3 FERRARI 323.5 (53% champion points)

2022 WCC (one gp to go):
1 RED BULL RACING RBPT 719
2 FERRARI 524 (73% champion points)

Even the champion always can improve things into the team, but I wouldn´t say Ferrari managment is lost, more of the opposite, they´re in the right way, even if fans always demand instant results

Obviously there are things to improve, specially race strategy wise, but the overall picture is far from disastrous, asking for head managment replacement is overreacting IMHO

tpe
tpe

JPower wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 06:13
Interested to see how things play out on track this weekend ie team order scenarios.

Guess it really depends on Perez as I expect the Red Bull to be the superior car at Yas Marina.
No need.
They don't have the speed to compete, so it will be an easy decision. In the unlikely event Sainz get a slight chance to be ahead of Hamilton, they will even prioritize him over Leclerc.

search

I think Ferrari will be more competitive than you think. Same as every week, both will fight for pole, and the tyre wear problems have pretty much been solved over the past races.

Xyz22
Xyz22

search wrote:
18 Nov 2022, 10:51
I think Ferrari will be more competitive than you think. Same as every week, both will fight for pole, and the tyre wear problems have pretty much been solved over the past races.
The car doesn't have the pace to win linear races. In races where there are mixed conditions and/or with SC Ferrari usually is also the one to screw things up, therefore is even more unlikely they can win in these situations.

There is also absolutely no way they can mount a serious a challenge for the 2023 WDC/WCC.

- Awful strategy department
- Worst driver management. Sainz has been the worst perform of all the 6 top drivers despite having upgrades dedicated to help him and perfect strategies. Some unlucky DNFs but also a much quicker car for the majority of the season compared to Lewis and Russell. Perez poor guy always had the worst parts and often Ferrari like strategies. Got absolutely 0 help from the RB team, yet performed much better than Sainz especially under pressure.

- 0 political weight compared to RB and MB.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ferrari abandoned 2022 long ago. That's all I have to say.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Race trim gap is around 0.7s per lap. We are approaching SF 21 levels.

aleks_ader

Does Ferrari run maybe run with slightly higher floor to gather data for next year in last couple of races? Performance drop is quite impressive. Even due AOM metric and setup limitation, PERF drop is quite big.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna