Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

Giando wrote:Hello!

What about this solution for the nose cone?

What do you think?

Not bad but all design is depend on that how is rear desiged (side pods etc.)This design create two vortices and that design must be compatible wthi other parts of the car. For example this not bad at all for U side pods...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Giando

aleksandergreat wrote:

What do you think?

Not bad but all design is depend on that how is rear desiged (side pods etc.) For exaple this not bad at all for U side pods...
Yes of course! :wink:

I was just trying to explore all the ways to design a nose cone under 2012 new rules and this seems to me
the perfect one to exploit the maximum possible height!

I don't know, by the way, how the air would flow around the upper V section...

astracrazy
astracrazy

pretty cool design.

This is why i'd love to have the 3d and windtunnel software just to try different stuff

italian
italian

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

amouzouris

what is that 'speaker' we keep reading about in translated Italian articles?? what exactly did the pioneer??

raymondu999

It's to help the 1.6L V6 engines sound like V12s. Vroom vroom! :lol:
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

LOL...but seriously...does anyone know what it is??

italian
italian

amouzouris wrote:LOL...but seriously...does anyone know what it is??
I think it means diffuser, isn't it?
That is the result of a translation with google :lol:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Tozza Mazza

What do you think?

Not legal, see my drawing on page 22 and my post on the aero forum.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tozza Mazza wrote:Not legal, see my drawing on page 22 and my post on the aero forum.
Which rule do you see it breaking?

As long as the peak is at most 1950mm forward of the rear of the cockpit entry template it's absolutely fine re the new rule (3.7.9).

Giando

beelsebob wrote:
Tozza Mazza wrote:Not legal, see my drawing on page 22 and my post on the aero forum.

As long as the peak is at most 1950mm forward of the rear of the cockpit entry template it's absolutely fine re the new rule (3.7.9).
Thanks, that's exactly how i designed it... :wink:

But we all know rules are a little bit controversial... :)

The side-view should explain it better, assumed that the rules say that the reduction in height from the top 625 mm of the front bulkhead to the 550 mm allowed for the nose cone has to be within the in-famous 150 mm range... so it means that the reduction in height could be... 'vertical' as i designed... the rules are not saying it has to be 'curved' (sorry i am italian, hope all it's clear...)

Tozza Mazza

beelsebob wrote:

Front bulkhead not deep enough and...

The regulations state that:

max 550mm height at:
Front bulkhead (Normally 1800mm in front of back of cockpit entry template)

and 1950mm in front of cockpit entry template.

You can't pick and choose I'm afraid. This one infringes the first bullet point.

You can move the front bulkhead forward, but this lowers the nose tip, and still doesn't allow these shapes.

The bottom of the tub has to follow a linear taper. This means that if you shape the top of the tub, you have to do the same to the bottom of the tub, and the front of the tub still has to have the same height, depsite it being further forward.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

What is the aero benefit of this design as opposed to a smoothly curved top surface?

Brian

astracrazy
astracrazy

From what i understand to make that legal, the bottom of the chassis is going to be more or less flat, and then the top is going to more or less slope down slightly?
This would most likely mean that for this design to work the nose tip height will need to be lower?

I keep thinking i understand the new rules, see an idea like this and think "that's legal" then find out its not so i realise actually i don't
hardingfv32 wrote:What is the aero benefit of this design as opposed to a smoothly curved top surface?

Brian
I think someone has said, this would work well with U shaped side pods. I guess it is only as beneficial as the design of the rest of the car. There would be no benefit if it sent the air to the wrong places.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

amouzouris wrote:what is that 'speaker' we keep reading about in translated Italian articles?? what exactly did the pioneer??
It means diffuser, bad translation.