Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Schumacher suffers head injury in ski accident

Vettel Maggot wrote:This situation could have been handled a lot better from his management team. By creating a blackout what that leads people to believe is he is pretty much dead. Which I think he might be anyway. If there was good news we would have heard it by now surely.
Why would you equate no information to no life?

myurr
myurr

beelsebob wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:This situation could have been handled a lot better from his management team. By creating a blackout what that leads people to believe is he is pretty much dead. Which I think he might be anyway. If there was good news we would have heard it by now surely.
Why would you equate no information to no life?
Because they previously gave updates as progress was being made. These then suddenly stopped and we are left with a vacuum. Given the lack of good news, the length of time, and the leaked (and subsequently confirmed) news of complications I would say the odds of a full recovery are next to zero and the odds of MS regaining any meaningful measure of consciousness are diminishing with each day that passes.

beelsebob
beelsebob

myurr wrote:Because they previously gave updates as progress was being made. These then suddenly stopped and we are left with a vacuum. Given the lack of good news, the length of time, and the leaked (and subsequently confirmed) news of complications I would say the odds of a full recovery are next to zero and the odds of MS regaining any meaningful measure of consciousness are diminishing with each day that passes.
They didn't suddenly stop. They announced that they were going to slow down the amount of information to allow the family to deal with it in their own time.

I would say, as has been said many times in this thread. Brain injuries are entirely unpredictable. He could make a complete recovery, he could wake up but have brain damage that causes problems for the rest of his life, he could be a vegetable for 30 years, or he could die tomorrow. No one knows, not even the doctors. For people to keep making uninformed assertions like "it's been 3 weeks since they started trying to wake him, he must therefore never recover" is just bullshit, and exactly why they are not releasing information all the time - they know people will jump to the wrong conclusions.

People have in the past woken up from comas and brain injuries after several years, and gone on to make good recoveries.

All you can do just now is sit, wait, and hope that we get good news some time in the future.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

My assertions would be more informed with more information!

Writinglife
Writinglife

Vettel Maggot wrote:My assertions would be more informed with more information!
This would be true...if you mattered. To the Doctors, the only people that matter in this case are Michael and his family. The hospitals job is to treat the patient and help the family. They can't, and should never, be held accountable to the general public in this matter.

All we can do as fans and well-wishers is exactly that. Send our best wishes and keep hoping for a recovery. Its not fair to the medical team and the family to make wild speculations because we don't have up to the minute information. We're not entitled to it. We just have to be patient and remember who is important in these times. Michael and his family.

not us.

myurr
myurr

Writinglife wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:My assertions would be more informed with more information!
This would be true...if you mattered. To the Doctors, the only people that matter in this case are Michael and his family. The hospitals job is to treat the patient and help the family. They can't, and should never, be held accountable to the general public in this matter.

All we can do as fans and well-wishers is exactly that. Send our best wishes and keep hoping for a recovery. Its not fair to the medical team and the family to make wild speculations because we don't have up to the minute information. We're not entitled to it. We just have to be patient and remember who is important in these times. Michael and his family.

not us.
He mattered whilst MS was making money from sponsorship deals. To say he doesn't matter at all now is just as callous as demanding information from the family.

myurr
myurr

beelsebob wrote:They didn't suddenly stop. They announced that they were going to slow down the amount of information to allow the family to deal with it in their own time.
They said it would slow down not stop, and implied that they would update us all once there were changes in his condition. There were changes to his condition, pneumonia and a return to inducing a coma, but these stories broke because of leaks that later had to be confirmed by Schumacher's management. If those leaks hadn't happened we likely wouldn't have been informed (although I'll concede we'll never know either way). That is a sudden stop.

LionKing
LionKing

myurr wrote: He mattered whilst MS was making money from sponsorship deals. To say he doesn't matter at all now is just as callous as demanding information from the family.
This is not sound logic at all. The fact that people paid for something does not mean they are entitled to something else just because of that. Fans do not usually donate to the charities of their favorite athletes. If they bought something, they also got something in return, whether be t-shirts, hats, etc...

Secondly, what is the need for update when there is very likely none? What are they going to say everyday? that he is still sleeping or that these are the results of his latest liver function test?

And even if they have more information to provide, what would happen if they release more details? There will instantly be armchair medical experts and other doctors giving all sorts of opinions including some second-guessing the current treatment etc.

What matters is whether the team attending Schumacher is one of the best available. If so, just let them do their job and eventually he will see the outcome. Hopefully it will be the favorable outcome we are looking for. Schumacher is not the only patient in that hospital, those doctors have others to attend as well. It is very selfish to demand that they waste their time daily and deal with distractions.

myurr
myurr

LionKing wrote:
myurr wrote: He mattered whilst MS was making money from sponsorship deals. To say he doesn't matter at all now is just as callous as demanding information from the family.
This is not sound logic at all. The fact that people paid for something does not mean they are entitled to something else just because of that. Fans do not usually donate to the charities of their favorite athletes. If they bought something, they also got something in return, whether be t-shirts, hats, etc...
Schumacher built a brand around his public persona and the point I was making is that it is callous to expect all those people to suddenly not matter when their idol, who has cultivated them as part of his brand, is seriously ill in hospital.
LionKing wrote:Secondly, what is the need for update when there is very likely none? What are they going to say everyday? that he is still sleeping or that these are the results of his latest liver function test?
There have been updates that were only confirmed to the public due to leaks. Namely that Schumacher had pneumonia and that he was back in an induced coma. Those are not just the status quo, and even if his management did release a statement saying "no change" that's better than not releasing one at all, if it's true.
LionKing wrote:And even if they have more information to provide, what would happen if they release more details? There will instantly be armchair medical experts and other doctors giving all sorts of opinions including some second-guessing the current treatment etc.
As opposed to the speculation in vacuum that we've had instead? Informed speculation is always better than wild guessing based on an absence of information. Not providing any updates has been shown to not help the situation, plus the news eventually leaks anyway causing more distress than if it were being properly managed.
LionKing wrote:What matters is whether the team attending Schumacher is one of the best available. If so, just let them do their job and eventually he will see the outcome. Hopefully it will be the favorable outcome we are looking for. Schumacher is not the only patient in that hospital, those doctors have others to attend as well. It is very selfish to demand that they waste their time daily and deal with distractions.
No one has asked for this, it is something you have constructed to try to back up your argument. An update every couple of weeks is not too much to ask, rather than an update a day or two after the news leaks anyway. No one has requested daily updates.

Also no one has asked for the medical team to provide the updates. Whilst that would be appreciated if there are dramatic changes in his condition, I have consistently said that his management team should be providing the updates and that it is their failure to manage the situation that should be criticised. Schumacher has an extensive management team for managing his public profile and they should be doing so.

Shakeman

Use Occam's razor.

Given Michael's global stature if there was good news to release it would've been released. Good news will come immediately but bad news will be held back until it's very bad news. I suspect we are waiting for the latter.

It will be a horrific time for the family and if I were in their situation I wouldn't give the slightest hoot what the public thought.

myurr
myurr

Shakeman wrote:It will be a horrific time for the family and if I were in their situation I wouldn't give the slightest hoot what the public thought.
No one is saying they should.

Coulthard's Jaw
Coulthard's Jaw

I don't see what the family are doing wrong here, not their problem quite frankly.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

LionKing wrote:
Paying for merch is not the issue; having an emotional attachment to a prominent figure and being kept in the dark is the issue. I personally don't ever feel that strongly about celebrities I've never met, but plenty of people do. To deny that would be delusional.
LionKing wrote:Secondly, what is the need for update when there is very likely none? What are they going to say everyday? that he is still sleeping or that these are the results of his latest liver function test?
If that is the case, I agree. But it sounds like it may not actually be the case with reports of pneumonia and going back into induced coma.
LionKing wrote:And even if they have more information to provide, what would happen if they release more details? There will instantly be armchair medical experts and other doctors giving all sorts of opinions including some second-guessing the current treatment etc.
So what?
LionKing wrote:What matters is whether the team attending Schumacher is one of the best available. If so, just let them do their job and eventually he will see the outcome. Hopefully it will be the favorable outcome we are looking for. Schumacher is not the only patient in that hospital, those doctors have others to attend as well. It is very selfish to demand that they waste their time daily and deal with distractions.
Of course. That's what managers and PR people are for.

Ultimately I agree with your position, just not your reasoning.

lebesset
lebesset

to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

R_Redding
R_Redding

It does include the quote "Now that several weeks have passed since the accident"

So its not uptodate. but still worth reading.

Rob
Last edited by R_Redding on 02 Mar 2014, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.