2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hail22

Re: 2014 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai

Vettels 3rd place lap... "Oh I seem to be out of the confines of the circuit"

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

In quali it's overlooked (generally) if it happens on the exit. Besides - it probably made him slower.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

TigerF1
TigerF1

Wow he really over cooked it there didn't he? Awesome video dude. Hammo goes all hammers and tongs mate - hope Rosberg put's up a fight to the end. The Red Bulls have been there or thereabouts as usual great downforce - I expect them to catch up fairly soon (at least by the end of the season) - they'll find a way to copy the Merc Turbo and call it a 'reliability upgrade'. By next year at least they should be back on top I reckon - maybe even with Alonso? Would Alonso drive for the Devil? Ferrari nowhere anytime soon!

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Hail22 wrote:Vettels 3rd place lap... "Oh I seem to be out of the confines of the circuit"

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e7bd63426fd5 ... o1_400.gif
Take a look at Rosbergs Pole lap from Bahrain....
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

rifrafs2kees
rifrafs2kees

Hail22 wrote:Vettels 3rd place lap... "Oh I seem to be out of the confines of the circuit"

http://24.media.tumblr.com/e7bd63426fd5 ... o1_400.gif
I think I may be on to something about vettel. Is he a "light braker"? It seems his style is to brake lighter than others and leave downforce to generate the rest of the bite for turn in. When it works, he runs wider out of the apex than most drivers but exits with higher speed. This might explain why he turns in early because without enough weight transfer to the front tires from braking, you aren't going to generate the needed grip to make a quick enough turn in to hit the apex.....simply to drive like he does, you have to have started turning in earlier. This also supports that consensus in the paddock that during the blown diff. period he'd slide the back out (brake bias/differential settings) then stop it by "blowing". This slide is not to be confused with the normal rotation from having a planted front and loose rear induced by harsher braking.

Another thing that might support this is that more often than not, he has more lock well past the apex compared to others because he style increases the likelihood that you'll not have enough rotation after the apex and when he's caught out, he has to continue turning in to straighten the car. This also explains why he rarely locks up.

If this is true, he'll have to change as i don't see any advantage to this without the blown diffuser.

SiLo

IMO he is always running off track or over the white lines to gain an advantage, more than any other driver. I notice it all the time when watching him (in the dry) and it bugs me that he can get away with it every time. The other drivers can go just as fast or faster and remain within the confines of the track, so why can't he?
Felipe Baby!

Ninners
Ninners

In case you guys didn't know the onboard is from Q1 on the wet tyres, Q2 & 3 were on the inters.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

SiLo wrote:IMO he is always running off track or over the white lines to gain an advantage, more than any other driver. I notice it all the time when watching him (in the dry) and it bugs me that he can get away with it every time. The other drivers can go just as fast or faster and remain within the confines of the track, so why can't he?
I've noticed the same. Lewis made a remark about in a couple of years ago during the Indian GP. Nico's Pole lap in Bahrain was also clearly off the track with all four wheels.
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Juzh

SiLo wrote:IMO he is always running off track or over the white lines to gain an advantage, more than any other driver. I notice it all the time when watching him (in the dry) and it bugs me that he can get away with it every time. The other drivers can go just as fast or faster and remain within the confines of the track, so why can't he?
They don't, you just don't see it because it's not aired more often than it is. I remember the same stuff floating around back in india 2012 when vettel's pole lap was shown and he was off the track 2 times with all 4 wheels and everyone was making a big fuss how his pole should be stripped from him and so on. Everyone was doing it of course, but people chose to selectively point out that only vettel did it. The usual stuff.
When raikonnen's lap was shown on F1.com we could see him being off the track 4 or 5 times, yet no one turned an eye about it.

Shrieker

Doesn't the rule say your lap's invalid if you've put all 4 wheels off the track(white lines) ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Hail22

Shrieker wrote:Doesn't the rule say your lap's invalid if you've put all 4 wheels off the track(white lines) ?
That's supposed to be the rule, but as you can see its not always enforced...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

djos

Shrieker wrote:Doesn't the rule say your lap's invalid if you've put all 4 wheels off the track(white lines) ?
I also thought there was a minimum 2 wheels inside the white line rule?
"In downforce we trust"

beelsebob
beelsebob

djos wrote:
I also thought there was a minimum 2 wheels inside the white line rule?
Nope, there's a minimum "some car" inside the white line rule.

markn93

http://www.canalplus.fr/c-sport/c-formu ... id=1058881 - excellent video of the race from onboards.

raymondu999

Precisely. Meaning if you cut it just the correct amount - and the front of the car rejoins the track before the rear leaves the track confines - then you're in the green.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法