Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes W12

balalev wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:02
dans79 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:24
Also it looks like they did some kind of testing today, as that doesn't look like a camera mount on the rear wing endplate.

sorry guys, but this pic is not from today.
I wouldn't be so sure of that, its roughly the same position and lighting as this photo that was for sure taken today.
197 104 103 7

balalev
balalev

dans79 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:16
balalev wrote:
dans79 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:24
Also it looks like they did some kind of testing today, as that doesn't look like a camera mount on the rear wing endplate.

I wouldn't be so sure of that, its roughly the same position and lighting as this photo that was for sure taken today.
I'm sure of that. Here an article from Marc 13. And there is the same picture.
https://www.diariomotor.com/competicion ... porada-f1/

Or another from Marc 12.
https://f1vilag.hu/hirek/bottas-nekunk- ... -autonkat/

cheeRS
cheeRS

balalev wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:34
dans79 wrote:
balalev wrote:

Or another from Marc 12.
Point is moot anyway, clearly they "tested" [filmed] today, although the device on the rear wing wasn't necessarily there.

Unless there are photos to the contrary, it's clear that Merc is hiding something on the rear area of the W12. Can't wait to find out. If that's true, and it does work well, AND it requires tokens to change [not purely aero], Merc might have played their cards really, really, strongly.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

mkay
mkay

cheeRS wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 23:09
balalev wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Or another from Marc 12.
Point is moot anyway, clearly they "tested" [filmed] today, although the device on the rear wing wasn't necessarily there.

Unless there are photos to the contrary, it's clear that Merc is hiding something on the rear area of the W12. Can't wait to find out. If that's true, and it does work well, AND it requires tokens to change [not purely aero], Merc might have played their cards really, really, strongly.
That's a lot of "ifs". Guys, honestly, this doesn't make much sense. In a year with highly restricted testing, homologated parts, wind tunnel/CFD restrictions for Merc (due to finishing 1st), juggling with 2022 development, and most of all budget caps, why would Mercedes go to such EXTREME lengths to hide something? If anything, hiding is probably counter-productive this year given competitors have limited ability, and perhaps appetite, to copy.

Also, why run the risk of the part(s) not functioning as planned on race weekend?

dans79

mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 23:17
why would Mercedes go to such EXTREME lengths to hide something?
They don't have to be hiding it. it could be just like 2019 when they wanted to spend as much time as possible working on the components they would run for the first few races.
197 104 103 7

cheeRS
cheeRS

mkay wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 23:17
cheeRS wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 23:09
balalev wrote:

That's a lot of "ifs". Guys, honestly, this doesn't make much sense. In a year with highly restricted testing, homologated parts, wind tunnel/CFD restrictions for Merc (due to finishing 1st), juggling with 2022 development, and most of all budget caps, why would Mercedes go to such EXTREME lengths to hide something? If anything, hiding is probably counter-productive this year given competitors have limited ability, and perhaps appetite, to copy.

Also, why run the risk of the part(s) not functioning as planned on race weekend?
For the exact reason in my highly hypothetical premise. Suppose it's something that works really well, but is simple. Something that doesn't necessarily require a ton of on-track time to validate when there are chassis dynos, sims, wind tunnels, and CFD. At least enough to justify not having it shown in on-track testing. In that case, if they did go to testing with it on the car, all of the other teams could replicate it, even if it requires tokens, up to the start of the season if I am not mistaken. Didn't Haas not even use tokens for this year (might be wrong)?

If they can hide it until homoligation starts, they win. In reality this isn't that far fetched. They sort of did this in 2019 with a highly highly revised car for Australia, although the token system wasn't as strict as now.

Besides, the reason we're speculating is because of what James Allison said vs what we all see. He basically teased big changes, none of which can be seen. If there is a published article that is reputable that can prove what Merc spent their tokens on, I'll gladly read it.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

zibby43
zibby43

Re: Second "Power Bulge"

cheeRS wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 22:07
zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:25
cheeRS wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:06
If you pause the video and skim through, the car looks different - and it looks like there is another bulge above the lower plenum/power bulge that Allison talks about. What is this? I thought it was the camera/wing that is mounted near the airbox inlet, but it's not.

https://ibb.co/X8xBBTV

https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/statu ... 51659?s=20
I think that’s just a reflection on the red paint there. Lighting is a tricky.
Could be, but it’s odd that the “object” is there throughout all the frames of the video, whereas reflections typically change with motion. Hard to tell.
Some better pics (screen grabs via @ScarbsTech):

OO7
OO7

cheeRS wrote:
Could be, but it’s odd that the “object” is there throughout all the frames of the video, whereas reflections typically change with motion. Hard to tell.
It's a reflection that isn't present throughout all the frames. Right at the end of the pitstop, just before the car sprints off, this "object" disappears.

cheeRS
cheeRS

zibby43 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 00:11
cheeRS wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 21:25

I think that’s just a reflection on the red paint there. Lighting is a tricky.

Yeah, much better photos - you're right and I was mistaken.

What's going on with the rear crash structure?
🤭 wrote:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:

Have they modified the device at the edge of the floor infront of the rear tyre?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Looks like Scarbs is on board with the "no testing just race it" idea.

🤭 wrote:

LM10
LM10

If Mercedes actually is trying to hide something it's only for some kind of mind games. It looks stupid in my eyes because they know very well that other teams can't copy it anyway if it requires tokens because all others except Haas spent theirs already. As for Haas, they won't be spending any penny for the 2021 car, so if Mercedes was afraid of Haas copying it ( :lol: ) that would make no sense either.
Let's assume it's a thing which can be copied relatively easy and thus does not require tokens, so what's the benefit? Hiding only for 2 additional weeks just for another team to copy it after that?

In short, there is almost zero reason from performance side to hide an innovation in this highly restricted season. In my opinion it's an upgrade package which simply was not ready for testing like in 2019 and Mercedes is playing hide and seek solely for the purpose of mind games or such.

OO7
OO7

Unless it's a late development that wasn't ready in time for testing, but I find that a little difficult to believe.

zibby43
zibby43

cheeRS wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 01:46
zibby43 wrote:
cheeRS wrote:

Yeah, much better photos - you're right and I was mistaken.

What's going on with the rear crash structure?
If I had a dollar for every time lighting in one of these photos has tripped me up, I’d own an F1 team. :)

What in particular with the rear crash structure?

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 01:50
Have they modified the device at the edge of the floor infront of the rear tyre?
Difficult to tell with that resolution. Wish we had an illustrate function on this platform.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 02:16
Let's assume it's a thing which can be copied relatively easy and thus does not require tokens, so what's the benefit? Hiding only for 2 additional weeks just for another team to copy it after that?
You're forgetting that several components won't become homogenized until they hit the track for P1. Thus even if it was easy to copy you can't copy it anymore, because you used your own design during P1. For example all the aerodynamic components of the suspension system front and rear fall into this category.

I'm not saying this is the case, but maybe they came up with a new suspension and gearbox design thats offer some kind of aerodynamic benefit. Teams could potentially copy that quickly as all they would need to do is redesign the gearbox housing. However as soon as the other temas run in P1 that's no longer possible.

Having looked at the technical regulations this evening, I think Scarabs might be onto something, as Mercedes could basically re-work a substantial portion of the rear of the car and only have to spend 2 tokens.
197 104 103 7