Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Pany
Pany

Upgrade Honda Power Unit

Hello guys, is there any evidence the PU will receive important upgrade in race 11 (Hungaroring)? is important to know, in order to keep good hope for the team in 2016. Untill upgrades there is no way to get in Q 3 and/or mark good points!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Re: Honda Power Unit

namao
namao

Re: Upgrade Honda Power Unit

Pany wrote:Hello guys, is there any evidence the PU will receive important upgrade in race 11 (Hungaroring)? is important to know, in order to keep good hope for the team in 2016. Untill upgrades there is no way to get in Q 3 and/or mark good points!
The PU upgrade will be in Canada or after the summer break.

Pany
Pany

I watch qualifying and Race. I also note point results after 3 races........
Canada GP is coming soon, but summer break means a totally different thing. The fact we dont know anything from Honda is a big concern in my opinion; there is risk this year not to be competitive at all, up to the end of the season. At the contrary Redbull-Renault is confirming a precise upgrade stepping; this indicates me more positive signs for their future

diffuser

EB said that the Drivers know what is in the pipeline from Honda. So we don't know but they do.

GoranF1
GoranF1

http://www.f1analisi...ew-tecnica.html

-60bhp gap to Mercedes, Honda is still the worst engine.
-The PU Fernando and Buttun are running now has a problem on the camshafts and they are not pushing them 100%.
-Chassis in excellent and the aero is very good but there is a major problem: rear suspension "eat" the tyres (in China the situation looked worse than usual for the high tyre pressure).
-The team wanted to run a new set-up concept during FP3 to hopefully solve the problem but the rain made it impossibile.
-The car is really low on downforce to compensate the lack of power.
-Honda is now working on the software and power delivery (not on pair with the others).
-ERS deployment is still not fully fixed, there was a lot of clipping during the race, more than Ferrari is having (6 km/h v 15 km/h).
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

hurril
hurril

GoranF1 wrote:http://www.f1analisi...ew-tecnica.html

-60bhp gap to Mercedes, Honda is still the worst engine.
-The PU Fernando and Buttun are running now has a problem on the camshafts and they are not pushing them 100%.
-Chassis in excellent and the aero is very good but there is a major problem: rear suspension "eat" the tyres (in China the situation looked worse than usual for the high tyre pressure).
-The team wanted to run a new set-up concept during FP3 to hopefully solve the problem but the rain made it impossibile.
-The car is really low on downforce to compensate the lack of power.
-Honda is now working on the software and power delivery (not on pair with the others).
-ERS deployment is still not fully fixed, there was a lot of clipping during the race, more than Ferrari is having (6 km/h v 15 km/h).
Broken URL.

godlameroso

I don't buy the downforce thing, because they would gain more in the corners than they would lose in the straights. That there's still a huge mountain to climb with the engine I agree. Honda have two things that they didn't have last year, direction, and tokens, what they are running out of is time.
Saishū kōnā

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:I don't buy the downforce thing, because they would gain more in the corners than they would lose in the straights.
That all depends on the track right ??? More high speed straights the larger the trade off is.

So far this year all the races have had an above average amount of Straight line(power tracks).

China was one of those tracks where the corners just kill the tire, at the same time it's a power track.

It looks to me, looking at the rear wing images, they're running less downforce than other teams.

tom101
tom101

they usually run with less downforce to hide the power deficit,

Alo said last year in italia: with same downforce as others, the top speed diference would be bigger

lkocev

It stands to reason that the optimal downforce level, for optimal laptime will be proportionate to the average power output of the power unit. As power goes up typically downforce is able to be increased along with it (provided there remains headroom to do so within the confines of the regulations). I agree with the notion that the McLaren rear wing, much like the Red Bull rear wing, does not appear to make full use of the three-dimensional envelope that limits it.

I can only assume that the reason for this is that the power unit is not powerful enough to make more downforce the optimal set-up. Either that or the car exploits other areas for downforce outside the rear wing.

godlameroso

Let's see what happens in Russia, it's a low degradation track, it has plenty of braking and lots of medium and low speed turns which favors aero despite the straights, non of which is very long, the longest straight has very tricky braking and demands a lot of aero so a high top speed there isn't as essential. But this is off topic and probably belongs in the team thread.
Saishū kōnā

Juzh

godlameroso wrote:Let's see what happens in Russia, it's a low degradation track, it has plenty of braking and lots of medium and low speed turns which favors aero despite the straights, non of which is very long, the longest straight has very tricky braking and demands a lot of aero so a high top speed there isn't as essential.
I'm not sure where you're getting this but Sochi is one of the most power sensitive tracks on the calendar. No long straight.. what?
Low-medium speed turns which exit onto any kind of straight are what kills renaults and hondas because they're pure power dependant.

Thunder18
Thunder18

It looked to me that the McHonda had most trouble putting power down coming out of the slower corners, so they're lacking traction, whether or not that was due to failing tyres or the talk of improving software for the PU is in relation to that, I'm not sure.

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:It looks to me, looking at the rear wing images, they're running less downforce than other teams.
Not sure about this...

I´d say McHonda run more wind than STR, similar if not more wing than FI too, and even Ferrari wing does look similar if not flatter. Wing colors can be confusing tough