2022 Tyres Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Holm86

Re: 18-inch wheels to be introduced in 2021.

The aero covers make them look like those old steel rims you use for winter tires :D

mzso
mzso

I wonder why they didn't remain the the full disk sidewalls that the CFD model and I think the wind tunnel miniature showed.

Sevach
Sevach

mclaren111 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 11:07
The front tyres should've been 16"...
It would look cool if they went for smaller fronts with tall rear, just aesthetics no considerations on balance.

Holm86

mzso wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 14:54
I wonder why they didn't remain the the full disk sidewalls that the CFD model and I think the wind tunnel miniature showed.
I think they explained it in the more recent video of the new cars, something about the flow stayed better attached like this.

mclaren111

Sevach wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 15:12
mclaren111 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 11:07
The front tyres should've been 16"...
It would look cool if they went for smaller fronts with tall rear, just aesthetics no considerations on balance.

Surely the balance can be sorted easily with suspension... :D

jjn9128

mzso wrote:
Probably because the smooth surface meant the front tyres "sailed" i.e. created a sideforce which unsettles the driver.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Pany
Pany

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 18:24
mzso wrote:
Probably because the smooth surface meant the front tyres "sailed" i.e. created a sideforce which unsettles the driver.
Could be, until a couple of years ago I raced Time-trials and disc wheels were commonplace (on rear wheels) and above particular speeds there was a definite ‘sail-force’ created.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

mclaren111

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/12/ ... nch-tyres/

Comparison of 13" vs 18".... These things are Huge... :o

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 11:19
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2021/12/ ... nch-tyres/

Comparison of 13" vs 18".... These things are Huge... :o
They are crazy tall! The back looks ok but the front just looks odd.
"In downforce we trust"

DiogoBrand

I always thought the outer diameter of the tyre would stay the same. It's probably gonna create a lot of turbulence with that wheel size.

Schippke
Schippke

Holm86 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 15:25
mzso wrote:
I think they explained it in the more recent video of the new cars, something about the flow stayed better attached like this.
This might also form part of it too:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... cGrHyfEoog
Isola explained that revisions were required for the initial wheel cover designs for the 18-inch tyres to ensure they remained balance, and that pit crews could easily remove the tyres from the car.

“The first version of the rim cover was very close to the rim, and we had two problems. One was for the mechanics in the pit stops, because they need to put their fingers in and take the tyres off, and with the wheel cover it was not possible, so they had to modify it.

“The second was we couldn’t add the balanced weight on the outside. That’s why if you see the latest version of the wheel cover, there is a shape that is covering the rim, but then you have a step closer to the rim that is useful for the mechanics to take the tyre and for us to balance the weight.

“With this final version, we can balance the tyre when it’s fitted with the wheel and the wheel cover. Otherwise, if you add the wheel cover after balancing, it can be a problem.”

Laserguru

As the wheel needs to be balanced with the cover in place, I imagine that wheelbanging or kissing a wall will result in a visit to the pitbox? If they forgot the need to remove the cover for mechanics in the pitbox and space for balancing the tires with rim attached I have a bad feeling they thought about actually racing them… Feels like trial and error to me. Anyhow the design was declared final before post-season testing :). Is there any other racing category using wheel covers?
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Holm86

Schippke wrote:
15 Dec 2021, 11:50
Holm86 wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 15:25
mzso wrote:

This might also form part of it too:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... cGrHyfEoog
Isola explained that revisions were required for the initial wheel cover designs for the 18-inch tyres to ensure they remained balance, and that pit crews could easily remove the tyres from the car.

“The first version of the rim cover was very close to the rim, and we had two problems. One was for the mechanics in the pit stops, because they need to put their fingers in and take the tyres off, and with the wheel cover it was not possible, so they had to modify it.

“The second was we couldn’t add the balanced weight on the outside. That’s why if you see the latest version of the wheel cover, there is a shape that is covering the rim, but then you have a step closer to the rim that is useful for the mechanics to take the tyre and for us to balance the weight.

“With this final version, we can balance the tyre when it’s fitted with the wheel and the wheel cover. Otherwise, if you add the wheel cover after balancing, it can be a problem.”
That's the answer, thank you :-)

PlatinumZealot

So are these wheel covers not "spinners" like what we had in 2009?

Because I'm hearing of balancing the wheel cover so wondering if they do turn with the wheels? Strange. Imagine the aerodynamic influence inside and outside the covere then.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN