2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hope is what remains after a pandora box is opened. Hope never dies until the end results.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Given the championship is in the bag for Max and Red Bull, I am only really keeping tabs with the races to see if Hamilton's perfect record of a race win every season he's been in F1 will remain or if the streak will finally end this year.

InsaneX_Badger

e30ernest wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 06:09
Given the championship is in the bag for Max and Red Bull, I am only really keeping tabs with the races to see if Hamilton's perfect record of a race win every season he's been in F1 will remain or if the streak will finally end this year.
Definitely looks to be ending this year. Think RB and Max will see to that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

e30ernest wrote:
That is really not something to hold over Hamilton's head imo. Even if he didn't win a race this year, it changes nothing about how he will be remembered.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Sep 2022, 15:54
e30ernest wrote:
That is really not something to hold over Hamilton's head imo. Even if he didn't win a race this year, it changes nothing about how he will be remembered.
It's something that's never happened before - a driver winning a race in every season they raced in. That's why it's a special record and it looks like it will have to wait for some future driver to achieve.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest
e30ernest

AR3-GP wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
It's not about that though. It's just another record I want him to keep. :D

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

e30ernest wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 01:34
AR3-GP wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
It's not about that though. It's just another record I want him to keep. :D
Fair enough/

CHT
CHT

Lewis will be 38 years old next year, and in modern F1 terms, he should be considered relatively old. For comparison, Michael Schumacher won his 7th and last WDC in 2004 at the age of 35. Historically those F1 drivers who won WDC at age of 38 and older were from the early 90s and earlier.

I think the greatest challenge for LH is to maintain the hunger even when he is not competing for wins or not having a championship-winning car. Guess for LH, there is only 1 prize left in his career, which is the record-breaking 8th WDC.

IMO, 2022 will be a terrible year for Lewis if George is able to finish the season ahead of his 7x world champion teammate. At the moment it is 35 points with 6 races to go. The last time this happened was when NR won the WDC with a much smaller margin.

For LH to win the 8th WDC in 2023, I think a few things will need to happen

1) Merc will need to deliver an outstanding and reliable car for 2023
b) RBR and Ferrari will have to mess up their development or have reliability issues
c) LH will need a teammate who doesn't challenge him for position and wins

Based on what we are seeing now, it's very unlikely any of the above will happen next year. So unless miracle happens, I think it's likely we will see LH career mirror that of Valentino Rossi, where he will face more challenges from the younger generation of drivers, making mistakes, losing his motivation and going on a slow decline.

AMG.Tzan

CHT wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 01:51
Lewis will be 38 years old next year, and in modern F1 terms, he should be considered relatively old. For comparison, Michael Schumacher won his 7th and last WDC in 2004 at the age of 35. Historically those F1 drivers who won WDC at age of 38 and older were from the early 90s and earlier.

I think the greatest challenge for LH is to maintain the hunger even when he is not competing for wins or not having a championship-winning car. Guess for LH, there is only 1 prize left in his career, which is the record-breaking 8th WDC.

IMO, 2022 will be a terrible year for Lewis if George is able to finish the season ahead of his 7x world champion teammate. At the moment it is 35 points with 6 races to go. The last time this happened was when NR won the WDC with a much smaller margin.

For LH to win the 8th WDC in 2023, I think a few things will need to happen

1) Merc will need to deliver an outstanding and reliable car for 2023
b) RBR and Ferrari will have to mess up their development or have reliability issues
c) LH will need a teammate who doesn't challenge him for position and wins

Based on what we are seeing now, it's very unlikely any of the above will happen next year. So unless miracle happens, I think it's likely we will see LH career mirror that of Valentino Rossi, where he will face more challenges from the younger generation of drivers, making mistakes, losing his motivation and going on a slow decline.
I’d suggest he retires by the end of 2023!

Nothing more to prove…the 8th WDC was half a lap away from becoming reality and was lost not down to his own fault! So all in all he has already proved he could have won 8 under normal circumstances!

A slow decline will be the worst thing that could happen to him! Rossi’s career is split into two halves because of this…the first half 2000-2010 (domination) and the second half 2011-2021 (battling the young guns and losing out)

So a career ending like that would be awful! I hope he understands early enough when it’s time to retire! Though he has shown he is consistently faster than Russell in a normal weekend without issues and misfortunes! Russell has been fast but has also been quite lucky this year in a lot of circumstances like Zandvoort!

So Lewis isn’t quite being beaten yet by the new generation…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CHT wrote:

Alonso doesn't seem to struggle. I wouldn't expect Hamilton to either. Age is only a number. Michael would have won 2007 and 2008 if they didn't sack him.

PlatinumZealot

e30ernest wrote:
Same here! Season is a resounding success if HAM nets a single win!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Sep 2022, 03:00
CHT wrote:

Alonso doesn't seem to struggle. I wouldn't expect Hamilton to either. Age is only a number. Michael would have won 2007 and 2008 if they didn't sack him.
Alonso, like many other ex wdc are all struggling to get a drive with top teams. partly because in modern f1, equipment and development plays a much greater role in winning than driver ability and top teams are more inclined to promote their young drivers instead of buying ex wdc drivers to win races.

Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting LH is too old to drive..for sure he can continue and like Alonso to establish himself as best of midfield.

realistically speaking if merc cant deliver a winning what will be LH option?
Last edited by CHT on 14 Sep 2022, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:

Nah... Lewis lost to slower, and even luckier drivers than George. Button was slow but steady and luckier than George, and Nico was quick, arguably faster than George and basically just stuck it out enough win in straighter fight. So losing to George on points means nothing really. Especially when George has proven to be slower in both race and Q.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Big Tea

Hamilton Has reasons outside F1 to delay his retirement. He has many more 'irons in the fire' but F1 is his shop window in the same way it is for anyone who sponsors a team.
Unless he starts getting negative publicity, and they say there is no bad publicity, just publicity, I think he is unlikely to retire until he no longer enjoys it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

I don’t think he enjoyed this season, at all. Bar a few moments of hope. But he still is as fast as ever, that is clear to see and why can’t Mercedes catch up, say next season. He still has years of racing life in him.