2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

mclaren111 wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 11:38
diffuser wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 23:46
McL-H wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 11:43
Let’s just hope that we come level with Mercedes with the B-spec before the summer break. We then have the 2nd half of the season to close the gap to Aston Martin. It would be a good season if we finish it having the 2nd/3rd fastest car. Irrespective of our finishing position.

It would set us up for regular podiums next year, so we can fight Red Bull for the championship in 2025.
Like I said, I heard there is no B spec. Little birdie emailed me.

So... No B-Spec means just a lot of upgrades ?
The little birdie didn't say. Just NO B-Spec planned.

My Guess would be some upgrades....

mwillems

I'd imagine that it is just going to look different. Sidepods and downwash as well as floor and diffuser I suppose will be included.

Look forward to seeing what else.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 18:19
I'd imagine that it is just going to look different. Sidepods and downwash as well as floor and diffuser I suppose will be included.

Should suspension work be on the agenda, front at least?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 20:12
mwillems wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 18:19

Should suspension work be on the agenda, front at least?
It could be, yeah. Stella did mention in an interview about yaw, but he actually spoke about it in terms of the car being sensitive from an Aero point of view. I'm sure the suspension isn't bad, but it isn't RB levels for sure and nobody doubts the aero could be better 😉

-Bandit

swifteddie1
swifteddie1

I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade package includes a Red Bull style anti dive front suspension along with Aston/Alpine style side pods.

mwillems

swifteddie1 wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 00:30
I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrade package includes a Red Bull style anti dive front suspension along with Aston/Alpine style side pods.
F1 cars have been built with suspension to prevent dive on entry and rise on exit for decades, I think the suggestions are that Red Bulls suspension is superb at keeping the car flat through many situations. In fact, having just had a quick read, the anti dive is only part of it, the geometry pushes the front wheels a little further away from the sidepods and floor entrances and the suspension configuration cleans the air very well. This configuration also helps with tyre degradation.

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-engine ... Bull%20car

It'd be lovely if we can do that, as it would amplify the downforce in the car by helping it stay lower to the ground, time will tell.

-Bandit

mclaren111

Racefans:

Stella wary of Mclaren entering 2026 with “immature” power unit.
With the new power unit regulations coming into Formula 1 in 2026 and new manufacturers like Audi joining the sport, Stella says he is careful about McLaren rushing to attach themselves to an all-new power unit manufacturer.

“Ideally you are a works team, but with an established power unit manufacturer,” he told media including RaceFans. “I think joining a new partnership, it comes with some elements of risk.

“In 2026 we want to be there. We don’t want to be saying like ‘okay, now we need two years because the project is too immature’. We want to be there from a chassis point of view, and kind of sound from a power unit point of view, even if I had the choice to choose, I would always choose to be a works team. But I don’t think this is a fundamental differentiator to be able to win.”

As stated before... Seems we'll be with Merc in 2026...
Last edited by mclaren111 on 11 Jun 2023, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

If it's a real B spec, I'm expecting a front wing, a slight modification to the front suspension, an updated underfloor front, side, underbody and diffuser, updated side pontoons and radiators, a new engine hood. If any of this is missing, then it will not be considered a B spec by the standards of Formula 1.

mwillems

Stella seems to have stopped using the term B-Spec and in latest interviews says "Noticeable different car"

Team principal Stella said the car would look "noticeably different" but would be an evolution of McLaren's current concept rather than a Mercedes-like change of approach.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10476603/

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 11:29
Stella seems to have stopped using the term B-Spec and in latest interviews says "Noticeable different car"

Team principal Stella said the car would look "noticeably different" but would be an evolution of McLaren's current concept rather than a Mercedes-like change of approach.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10476603/
Is that a good thing, evolution instead of revolution?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 03:41
swifteddie1 wrote:
F1 cars have been built with suspension to prevent dive on entry and rise on exit for decades, I think the suggestions are that Red Bulls suspension is superb at keeping the car flat through many situations. In fact, having just had a quick read, the anti dive is only part of it, the geometry pushes the front wheels a little further away from the sidepods and floor entrances and the suspension configuration cleans the air very well. This configuration also helps with tyre degradation.

It'd be lovely if we can do that, as it would amplify the downforce in the car by helping it stay lower to the ground, time will tell.
I suspect that what is being 'advertised' as anti-dive if more for keeping things level as one wheel skips a curbing and allows power on a fraction sooner out of corners, or even in corners when required.

As you say anti-dive is old hat by its self, but there must have been something else in the Red Bull set up that gives an edge in corners as well as under braking. Sort of roll control in both axis
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 17:35
mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 03:41
swifteddie1 wrote:

I suspect that what is being 'advertised' as anti-dive if more for keeping things level as one wheel skips a curbing and allows power on a fraction sooner out of corners, or even in corners when required.

As you say anti-dive is old hat by its self, but there must have been something else in the Red Bull set up that gives an edge in corners as well as under braking. Sort of roll control in both axis
From what I understand it is about the geometry pushing the wheel slightly further away from the sidepods and reducing the effects of tyre wash because it leans forward a little on the wheel. To add to this the extreme angle also makes the anti dive response stronger and therefore the car is flatter more often and therefore has more continuous downforce in the optimum operating window. This and the fact that the geometry is apparently very good at then cleaning the airflow.

But then Stella has been commenting on the pitch and yaw of the MCL60 and he suggested the issue was one of sensitive aero. His english doesn't always seem great so I don't know if that means he thinks it needs to be fixed in the aero, or just that this formula generates very sensitive aero.

The latter certainly seems true, these regs do seem to be more focussed than usual on operating windows and balance, a mix of having peak downforce and then keeping the car in it's peak downforce. Just one is not going to cut it, certainly not against the RB19. Treating the floor nicely and keeping it at the best operating positions seems to be able to get more performance out of the car than it ever did.

It always counted, just seems to count more now. Whatever configuration you choose then affects the tyres which themselves seem to be also very sensitive, so it does seem tricky.

Edit: I do recall that Stella once said that Mclaren struggle with how these tyres deform, because the wind tunnel cannot simulate it, and that this is part of the handling issues that held back Daniel and that Lando complains about.

This is something that I imagine Rob Marshall will also understand better.

-Bandit

mwillems

I realise I have just largely repeated myself lol

Just in more detail!

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 18:26
I realise I have just largely repeated myself lol

Just in more detail!

If something is worth saying then... so it goes
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I don't know if someone can clarify, @mwillems etc? Stella says although the car will look different, it will be an evolution of current concept and not a change In philosophy. But then why was development stopped months before it was launched? I thought that signalled a recognition that they were on the wrong path and needed to course correct.