Schumacher ski accident, coma and recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rich1701
rich1701

Re: Schumacher suffers head injury in ski accident

Schumacher showing "small, encouraging signs" according to a statement from his manager.

No print yet, just announced on BBC news.

rich1701
rich1701

Shakeman

They seem to be reacting to speculation rather than quashing it. These announcements are following a pattern but they're doing nothing to advance anyone's understanding of the situation and thus causing more speculation. So, what are these small but encouraging signs? Why not say? In all likelihood they're extremely insignificant signs of progress but any grieving family would want to hang on to them.

You might argue that's none of anyone's business and you'd be right but if they want to kill off the speculation they aren't going about it in the right way.

zoro_f1

Lauda annoyed by constant Schumacher rumours
:arrow: http://grandprix247.com/2014/03/12/laud ... r-rumours/
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Richard
Richard

BBC wrote:Family statement in full:

"We are and remain confident that Michael will pull through and will wake up. There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient.

Michael has suffered severe injuries. It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation.

It was clear from the start that this will be a long and hard fight for Michael. We are taking this fight on together with the team of doctors, whom we fully trust. The length of the process is not the important part for us.

It is heart-warming to see how much sympathy his family is shown and I can say that the family is extremely grateful for it. However, it should not be forgotten that Michael's family is dealing with an extremely intimate and fragile situation. And I would like to remind all of us that Michael has always actively kept his family out of the public eye and consequently protected their private lives.

We try to channel all the energies we have toward Michael and we firmly believe that this will help him. And we believe that he will also win this fight."
IMHO That's a statement that nothing has changed. The reason that that we hear so little is that there is very little to say.

rich1701
rich1701

If there was no improvement then one would assume there would be no point in releasing a statement.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

except to say, "leave michael's family alone".

ced381

Felipe's helmet. I think it's pretty nice from an old friend/team mate.

'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

Vasconia

acosmichippo wrote:except to say, "leave michael's family alone".
I think that this is the true purpose of the statemment, no significant improvement from Michel which must be very furstrating for the family(and for all the fans too), so those rumors must be very annoying for them.

3 months....its hard to be positive about Michaels future but I dont want to loose all hope.

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

no sources, so take with a grain of salt:

Michael Schumacher's wife building $19m medical suite in family home
Michael Schumacher's wife is building a $19 million medical suite in their home to allow the injured Formula One champion to leave hospital, according to The Mirror.

Corinna Schumacher is said to be using some of the family's $960 million fortune to install the fully-equipped facility at their house on the banks of Lake Geneva in Switzerland.

It's been three months since the 45-year-old's skiing incident left him in a medically-induced coma at Grenble University Hospital in France. Doctors say it's highly unlikely he will ever wake up.

"Miracles happen, of course, and as a wealthy man he has the best care money can buy," a friend of the family told The Sun.

"But all the money in the world cannot fix what has happened to him. The family are making arrangements for a future of permanent immobility.

"Is there a sense of denial at play among them? I would say yes."

Every day Schumacher's family travel nearly 250km to the hospital where they spend up to 10 hours by his side, according to The Daily Mail.

Since his accident, the racing legend has wasted away, losing 25% of his body mass to weigh only 55kg.

Shakeman

acosmichippo wrote:no sources, so take with a grain of salt:

Michael Schumacher's wife is building a $19 million medical suite in their home to allow the injured Formula One champion to leave hospital, according to The Mirror.

Corinna Schumacher is said to be using some of the family's $960 million fortune to install the fully-equipped facility at their house on the banks of Lake Geneva in Switzerland.

It's been three months since the 45-year-old's skiing incident left him in a medically-induced coma at Grenble University Hospital in France. Doctors say it's highly unlikely he will ever wake up.

"Miracles happen, of course, and as a wealthy man he has the best care money can buy," a friend of the family told The Sun.

"But all the money in the world cannot fix what has happened to him. The family are making arrangements for a future of permanent immobility.

Every day Schumacher's family travel nearly 250km to the hospital where they spend up to 10 hours by his side, according to The Daily Mail.

Since his accident, the racing legend has wasted away, losing 25% of his body mass to weigh only 55kg.
My partner and I have living wills and we know to allow the plug to be pulled in a similar circumstance. It'll be better for all concerned to be able to grieve and move on than have a loved one in a permanent incapacity with everyone living in limbo.

I'd much prefer my partner to go on and have a full and happy life than be held back by an empty vessel.

Just my personal feelings and in now way expecting others to share my view.

Stradivarius
Stradivarius

Shakeman wrote:
acosmichippo wrote:no sources, so take with a grain of salt:

My partner and I have living wills and we know to allow the plug to be pulled in a similar circumstance. It'll be better for all concerned to be able to grieve and move on than have a loved one in a permanent incapacity with everyone living in limbo.

I'd much prefer my partner to go on and have a full and happy life than be held back by an empty vessel.

Just my personal feelings and in now way expecting others to share my view.
It's a bit hasty, isn't it? Sure, it doesn't look too bright, but nothing is certain in a situation like this. If it was you, at what time would you have pulled the plug on your wife? After 1 week? 1 Month? 2 Months? If there is a 50% chance of waking up within a month, I am sure everyone would keep hoping. If there is only a 10% chance, I think most people whould still keep hoping. If there is a 1% chance of significant improvement, maybe some would give up hope, but not after 3 months. Corinna is not wasting her life if she waits for a year or two, hoping for improvement. I am actually quite certain she would struggle with second thoughts for the rest of her life if she decided to pulle the plug now. Recovery/improvements are still very much possible and this is anyway not the time for her to make irreversible decisions like that.

Scardini1
Scardini1

Here, here. Nicely put. Thanks Strad. I've been to only one F1 race - Indy '03. And it was for the express reason to be able to say, "I saw Michael race in person". I'd hold out a bit longer too.

xpensive
xpensive

There's another angle to it, if he's in a vegetable state, certain euthanasia might be planned, legal in Switzerland I believe?

Very sad indeed.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Gerard Saillant was wise to say; "the people that are talking don't know, and the people that know, aren't talking. I'm not goint to talk."

In other words, Schumi's good friend knows something. Other poeple know something. But they won't talk -certainly out of respect for Schumacher himself and his family.

But 'knowing something' doesn't need to be taken negatively. They might 'know' he's gone and never gonna recover. But for the same matter, they might 'know' he is in better shape then the rest of the world knows. For all that matters, Schumi might be showing certain responses and perhaps he's better off in a home environment then in some Grenoble hospital.
Like stated well by Gerard; people don't know. we don't know.

So to talk about euthanesia?? :wtf: :wtf: imho is fairly respectless #-o
IIRC Schumacher isn't even on a breathing machine - but i can be mistaken there. So that would show his body is capable,
but his mind has not yet responded to the 'treatments'.

Euthanising somebody because things aren't going as fast as the fans are wanting and hoping is rediculous.
Schumacher actually WAS awake and adressable right after the accident, but slip into serious aftermath issues and was induced into a coma to prevent him from getting even more serious 'damage'.
If the brain recieved similar damage as he did to his motorcycle accident, then indeed he may never wake up again due too excessive brain damage. But doctors were quick to treat him with the best options they had at their disposal.

That doesn't mean "don't worry he'll be fine" but it certainly doesn't mean "hey we expected more from this guy, lets drop it and kill him" as if he's some toy that a child gets bored with after a while.

too many negative comments seep out about schumacher all from sources that use nothing but assumptions , even former f1 docs. I haven't hidden my discomfort with gary hartsteins actions regarding his schumacher theories. Especially because his words are taken with weight despite it's nothing but air.

Léquipe however wrote;

“The team has been doing neurological tests. During this first stage, the patient blinked.”
and that Schumacher reacted "positively to instructions".

Massa claimed after a visit to have said
"He gave some reactions with the mouth and everything. So it’s positive.”

all the negative comments nearly always are paired with "One insider said:". And others are assumptions from people
not having contact at all with people "involved".

Fact is, many people showing progress died when they catched pneumonia while in a coma (mind you, these coma's were actually body trauma, and not induced coma) - yet schumacher survived his 'attack' of pneumonia.

That in itself is very positive news, because it shows the body is in fact still able to heal and there's still energy left for that. Showing he's not as weak as some tabloids suggest.

It's said by 'officials' that schumacher showed reactions to tests. Blinking, mount moving, etc. That shows the body is capable. The mind just isn't there yet somehow. Schumacher isn't the first to have these 'reactions'. There are plenty people that get out of a coma but aren't really out. Being 'empty' so to speak for a long while before finally 'popping' out of it.

If people are hoping or expecting schumacher suddenly to wake up and walk around, and start reading the news - they're just stupid. That won't happen either way. Schumacher getting 'well' takes time, step by step. The fact there have been steps are hopefull.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"