2017 F1 general testing thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: 2017 F1 Pre-season testing February 27 - March 2/ March 7-10

continuum16 wrote: A) Last years tweet says "as we wrap up testing" meaning the end of the preseason. Inevitably this years cars will be faster than their day 1 speeds.
The speed trap times themselves mean nothing, the car sitting at the top of last year's list proves this.
197 104 103 7

FW17

dans79 wrote:
continuum16 wrote: A) Last years tweet says "as we wrap up testing" meaning the end of the preseason. Inevitably this years cars will be faster than their day 1 speeds.
The speed trap times themselves mean nothing, the car sitting at the top of last year's list proves this.
It means a lot as we have never seen a Red Bull in that position

djos

FW17 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Indeed, that rear squat under full DRS is mightily impressive!

"In downforce we trust"

Phil

SR71 wrote:
GPR-A wrote:After a day's running, the drivers are already fearing the lack of overtaking due to increased wake from the leading cars. The tyres seems to be much more durable than last year and they can go on and on with them, causing more one stoppers and dull racing.

1. Can FIA not mandate two stoppers (and three stoppers where the races are long), just like they have mandated two different compounds for races (out of three made available)? That would take away tyre preserving, if any, that a team would be asking the driver to do and give way for different strategies.
2. Taking a cue from MotoGP, reserve the option of using fastest compound, in any race, to probably, the last 5 teams in the latest standings (after every race).
3. Ask PIRELLI to get rid of Medium and Hard compounds that would cause endurance racing.

Otherwise, we would see fast cars, but a dull spectacle.

Drivers in 2016 could not overtake due to tires not wake.

Tires gave out, over heated, failed when asked to work a bit harder.

That shouldn't be a problem in 2017.

Seems pretty simple to me, man up, be aggressive, learn somebting new (aka do what max does) and you're tires will allow you to overtake.

This is F1, you're always going to have to work for your overtake (Ignoring DRS).

Why aren't we fans of that?
Overtaking is the result of being quicker. The point being, when you close up to a car (withing 1-2 seconds), you will lose speed as a result of following in dirty air and loss of downforce and stability which will then make you slower. See also Max who on numerous instances, even at Torro Rosso was unable to pass his own team mate and had to whine on the radio that he could go faster. Or many instances where Hamilton and Rosberg raced without an overtake taking place.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

nim_peter
nim_peter

Noob question, how much is DRS worth with the new rear wings, do we see more difference between on and off than previous years?

marvin78
marvin78

I hope not.

Thunder

Yes the difference is even bigger this Year.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

f1316
f1316

GPR-A wrote:After a day's running, the drivers are already fearing the lack of overtaking due to increased wake from the leading cars. The tyres seems to be much more durable than last year and they can go on and on with them, causing more one stoppers and dull racing.

1. Can FIA not mandate two stoppers (and three stoppers where the races are long), just like they have mandated two different compounds for races (out of three made available)? That would take away tyre preserving, if any, that a team would be asking the driver to do and give way for different strategies.
2. Taking a cue from MotoGP, reserve the option of using fastest compound, in any race, to probably, the last 5 teams in the latest standings (after every race).
3. Ask PIRELLI to get rid of Medium and Hard compounds that would cause endurance racing.

As ever, the simple fix is let them refuel - then they will two or three stop nearly all the time out of performance need.

I personally couldn't care less about the kind of easy overtakes we've had in recent years; what does it really add to breeze by someone on a straight under DRS? Imo absolutely zero excitement; I'd also add that, for me, the occasional instance of a driver being stuck behind traffic and not being able to breeze through is a good thing - in recent years, even if a Mercedes gets out of position, it's so easy to get back through that they get 1-2 anyway.

My example is always Spain 2013 vs Imola 2005 - which is the better race? One has a bazillion overtakes, the other virtually none.

SR71

Phil wrote:
SR71 wrote:

Drivers in 2016 could not overtake due to tires not wake.

Tires gave out, over heated, failed when asked to work a bit harder.

That shouldn't be a problem in 2017.

Seems pretty simple to me, man up, be aggressive, learn somebting new (aka do what max does) and you're tires will allow you to overtake.

This is F1, you're always going to have to work for your overtake (Ignoring DRS).

Why aren't we fans of that?
Overtaking is the result of being quicker. The point being, when you close up to a car (withing 1-2 seconds), you will lose speed as a result of following in dirty air and loss of downforce and stability which will then make you slower. See also Max who on numerous instances, even at Torro Rosso was unable to pass his own team mate and had to whine on the radio that he could go faster. Or many instances where Hamilton and Rosberg raced without an overtake taking place.
Old aero rules.

New rules are yet to be determined. However the only published research on 2017 aero rules and following distances show cars maintain more balance than previous years when following close.

Loss of downforce? Always. Loss of balance? Not this year according to the study.

In fact RW/diffuser relationship is so strong that turbulence causes more impact here than FW. This creates a pointy car that's aero oversteer heavy, unlike understeer dominated 2014-2016. This understeer also cooked the front tires, something we don't expect to happen this year.

Passing should never be easy or a sure thing.

Overtakes, or lack thereof, will be tied to skill once again.

dans79

FW17 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
And what did that do for Sauber last year?
197 104 103 7

noxroxafox
noxroxafox

nim_peter wrote:Noob question, how much is DRS worth with the new rear wings, do we see more difference between on and off than previous years?
Difference should be a lot bigger because the rear wing is larger which creates more downforce. When its drag is reduced by the DRS, it should bring a lot more top speed.

But will it be a lot more effective? Maybe. Because the exit speeds out of faster corners should be a lot bigger too, so when the leading man has a better exit, then (just like last years) it will not be as effective to use the DRS if it regards a short straight.

Overall, I think it will be sort of the same: Faster cars, more downforce (so more drag) and better exits and faster cornering speeds. So everything adds up to a same situation.

Vasconia

f1316 wrote:
As ever, the simple fix is let them refuel - then they will two or three stop nearly all the time out of performance need.

I personally couldn't care less about the kind of easy overtakes we've had in recent years; what does it really add to breeze by someone on a straight under DRS? Imo absolutely zero excitement; I'd also add that, for me, the occasional instance of a driver being stuck behind traffic and not being able to breeze through is a good thing - in recent years, even if a Mercedes gets out of position, it's so easy to get back through that they get 1-2 anyway.

My example is always Spain 2013 vs Imola 2005 - which is the better race? One has a bazillion overtakes, the other virtually none.
Imola 2005 was exciting because the two best drivers had an epic battle. How many times can this happen? I remember perfectly well those times were overtaking was almost impossible and where refuelling was the only chance of seeing changes. Now we dont have refuelling and to fear such dull races is legitimate. Anyway its too early to judge it, though its worrying to see that drivers are confirmings this fear.

noxroxafox
noxroxafox

Here we go! Track is green, sun is out and Raikkonen hits the track joined by Stroll and Giovinazzi!

GoranF1
GoranF1

I wonder if Mclaren Honda fixed their oil tank defect. Alonso said yesterday afternoon they run a very conservative engine modes. How can you properly develop your aero when runing in those kind of modes?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

Autosport:

Hamilton not sporting the shark fin at the moment, but he appears to have a double-decker T-wing on his W08.