[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Ground Effect wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:43
bauc wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:27
Ground Effect wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:01
When you copy and paste the best car on the grid from the previous year and you’re a midfield team, chances are you’ll be the strongest in the midfield. It’ll also allow them divert more resources to their 2021 project and do it much sooner. Unfortunately, this is a worry for McLaren, but it shouldn’t be if McLaren was where they’re supposed to be. Hopefully the shareholders will continue to be patient and supportive.
That is not exactly correct & true. The game has changed in 2014 and since then the manufactures of PU dictated the development rate and customer teams were left without a choice but to wait for the mercy of their suppliler, that was the case until few years latter when some rules were put in place (after protest) to make sure manufactures & customers get the same updates the same software ect at the same time.

However, by this time the top 3 have developed such a technical lead, the have accumulated such a wealth (not that they didn't have it before) that left the other teams including Mclaren in the mud (okey Mclaren have themselves to blame as well due to internal problems) plus not to mention the oligopoly politics where each B team votes and supports its own boss daddy team on the green table which on the long term damaged F1 in more than one way and I'm so happy that rules will change regarding that starting next year as well.

So to simply say Mclaren are just not where they should be, while being a correct statement is not the full story.
My comment on McLaren is more to the fact that on paper, they’re one of the big teams, who shouldn’t be troubled by the B teams or clone teams, based on infrastructure, talent etc. But obviously, those bad years where FIA rules worked against them, plus not too good decisions by they themselves and lack of proper accountability has set them back quite a bit. I strongly believe if there’s a level playing field, or something close to that, the budget cap properly monitored, McLaren has what it takes to be successful again.
Amen on that!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

genarro
genarro

Racing Point had a lot of trouble last year and this year basically Merc saved them from being completely at the back. Dont think that RP will beat McLaren next year because they have started on their 2021 without the burden of developing this years car. it takes more than just a jump start to beat the big teams (McLaren included). You have to have the right infrastructure, right people etc....

diffuser

Xero wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:54
Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:34
I am very worried about the threat Racing Point might posses to 4th this year. They literally have a W10 from the nose up to the sidepods. Even if they are (obviously) not as quick as Mercedes was last year, copying the best car of the last season surely must be bring free lap time for them.
All these B teams will start the season well, but will quickly fall behind once the development race kicks in. 1 lap pace also doesn't guarantee race pace, as we saw with Haas last season. You will never beat a Mercedes by copying last seasons Mercedes. Not that this is McLaren's aim this season, but in the long team, focus on ourselves. McLaren have far higher ambitions than Racing Point.
RP isn't a "B team" anymore. With Stroll Money and the coming Austin Martin backing...They'll be at or near max budget next year.They have a new wind tunnel on it's way and a bunch of new hires to and already established team.
Last edited by diffuser on 20 Feb 2020, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

the EDGE
the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 11:23
Xero wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:54
Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:34
I am very worried about the threat Racing Point might posses to 4th this year. They literally have a W10 from the nose up to the sidepods. Even if they are (obviously) not as quick as Mercedes was last year, copying the best car of the last season surely must be bring free lap time for them.
All these B teams will start the season well, but will quickly fall behind once the development race kicks in. 1 lap pace also doesn't guarantee race pace, as we saw with Haas last season. You will never beat a Mercedes by copying last seasons Mercedes. Not that this is McLaren's aim this season, but in the long team, focus on ourselves. McLaren have far higher ambitions than Racing Point.
RP isn't a "B team" anymore. With Stroll Money and the coming Austin Martin backing...They'll be at or near max budget next year.
You do realise Aston Martin were a pound away from Bankruptcy right?

It’s more racing point rescuing them than the other way around. Sure AMs resources will benefit RP, but they’re hardly Mercedes are they.

In fact AM had to turn to Cosworth & Redbull to design/build the Valkire and have now tied up with Mercedes to design future cars

The name is Great, the company sadly not so much at the moment. It’s going to be a good few years for anything amazing to happen on both sides of the AM/RP tie-up in my opinion

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Aston Martin deal is mostly branding right now. Stroll brought in money to Aston Martin, not the other way around and I doubt F1 team will benefit from Aston Martin for a few years at least (remember Red Bull was branded Aston Martin for a while).

In any case, I wouldn't be so worried about Racing Point copying Mercedes. They can do it, it will work okayish but they will have problems improving it, their copy will be a copy without deep insight into specific details and sensitive areas and it will not work as well as a Mercedes.

diffuser

Austin Martin will have and advertising budget and it will be going to RP. Not RB. I don't understand them copying merc though.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

What tyre is Lando running for this aero programme?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

genarro
genarro

if the Mercedes works deal is on the table is it possible that it will go to RP and not us?

charliesmithhd

Looks like lando tried a push lap with the c2, drs used, couple hundredths slower than his fastest so far

f1rules
f1rules

what happened, many big setuop changes or problems?

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

genarro wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 13:38
if the Mercedes works deal is on the table is it possible that it will go to RP and not us?
Which team is more probable to win? McLaren or RP?

Xero

diffuser wrote:
RP isn't a "B team" anymore. With Stroll Money and the coming Austin Martin backing...They'll be at or near max budget next year.They have a new wind tunnel on it's way and a bunch of new hires to and already established team.
Sorry, but if you're copying the design of another team from the previous year instead of developing your own ideas, then you are most definitely a B team, regardless of budget. Will be different next season though, they will have to step up.

diffuser

Xero wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:42
diffuser wrote:
Sorry, but if you're copying the design of another team from the previous year instead of developing your own ideas, then you are most definitely a B team, regardless of budget. Will be different next season though, they will have to step up.

I agree that is "B team"-ish.

If that new RP anywhere near last years Merc, it will be hard to catch.

bauc

f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:30
Lot of aero tests rigs sensors going on & off this morning, I'm hoping they will go for another race sim this afternoon
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

charliesmithhd

bauc wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 15:11
f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:30
Lot of aero tests rigs sensors going on & off this morning, I'm hoping they will go for another race sim this afternoon
currently 13 laps on hards so it does look like another race sim