2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
runningmanz
runningmanz

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

SmallSoldier wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 08:27
Lando overtaking 6 cars in 6 laps… He overtook Daniel and Stroll a couple laps later:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was some great overtaking from Lando, helps too he had much younger tyres than those ahead and also a reason why he was able to pull away from Dan at the end who was probably saving his tyres to defend Gasly at the end.

Great start from Dan who said he remembered last time getting stuck in the middle so took the outside this time.

Not sure why Lando is complaining about Dan's strong defence on him too at the start. Nothing Lando himself admitted he wouldn't have done. They are not playing tiddly winks. Seidl never had a problem with it either. If Lando was worried about that corner maybe exercise a little caution and try and get Dan in another spot or when in a better position.

"“It was aggressive defence,” he said.

“I have nothing against Daniel but I think he shouldn’t have done that. It’s racing, I probably would have done the same with him, but I was on the edge of the shackles.

“If there had been tar or something on my right then I wouldn’t be complaining. But because there were all those buzzers and bumps I couldn’t take my turn and had to go straight on because he pushed me down.

“I’m not trying to complain about it but we will definitely discuss it.”

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl, however, said he had no issue with the race.

“As long as they are fighting for a position and there is no clear difference in strategy, we let them race,” he said after the race."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport ... dab88d5eb2
Last edited by runningmanz on 22 Jun 2021, 05:07, edited 3 times in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

runningmanz wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Lando overtaking 6 cars in 6 laps… He overtook Daniel and Stroll a couple laps later:

That was some great overtaking from Lando, helps too he had much younger tyres than those ahead and also a reason why he was able to pull away from Dan at the end who was probably saving his tyres to defend Gasly at the end.

Great start from Dan who said he remembered last time getting stuck in the middle so took the outside this time.

Not sure why Lando is complaining about Dan's strong defence on him too at the start. Nothing Lando himself admitted he wouldn't have done. They are not playing tiddly winks. Seidl never had a problem with it either. If Lando was worried about that corner maybe exercise a little caution and try and get Dan in another spot or when in a better position.

“I have nothing against Daniel but I think he shouldn’t have done that. It’s racing, I probably would have done the same with him, but I was on the edge of the shackles.

“If there had been tar or something on my right then I wouldn’t be complaining. But because there were all those buzzers and bumps I couldn’t take my turn and had to go straight on because he pushed me down.

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl, however, said he had no issue with the race.

“As long as they are fighting for a position and there is no clear difference in strategy, we let them race,” he said after the race."

Was Lando complaining about it? He was asked after the race about the overtake attempt in Lap 2, where Daniel didn’t left a lot of room and he had to go off track… He wasn’t complaining about, called the move aggressive and something the he himself would have done.

djos

Lando was just having a sook, he needs to have a cup of concrete.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 22:35
runningmanz wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Was Lando complaining about it? He was asked after the race about the overtake attempt in Lap 2, where Daniel didn’t left a lot of room and he had to go off track… He wasn’t complaining about, called the move aggressive and something the he himself would have done.

Yeah on the radio he was complaining about it during the race. Lando has done more aggressive moves on Dan at starts this year so not sure what he was expecting. Like I said maybe Lando could have exercised a bit more caution on that tricky corner with the bollards and waited for a better opportunity. Dan didn't do anything wrong defending there imo.

djos

I think Lando is trying to play mind games - he'll find out soon enough that they don't work on Daniel. Daniel was able to beat both Seb and Max in Qually and races in the same car, once he's fully up to speed, Lando will find out just how tough a competitor Daniel is.
"In downforce we trust"

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

I think what a driver says in the moment on the radio bears very little meaning to what actually happened and what they think by the end of the race.

djos

Iirc He also made comments after the race about having a “chat” to Daniel.
"In downforce we trust"

Herr_Koos

djos wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 06:09
I think Lando is trying to play mind games - he'll find out soon enough that they don't work on Daniel. Daniel was able to beat both Seb and Max in Qually and races in the same car, once he's fully up to speed, Lando will find out just how tough a competitor Daniel is.
On the flip side, Daniel has already discovered how tough Lando will be to beat. I seem to recall lots of comments before the season started about how DR was going to "destroy" Lando in the same car. Clearly that was ill-considered.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Back to back weekends in Austria- looking forward to this as it’s a short circuit with very close lap times and no room for error in qualifying.

Race day will be all about tyres - intrigued to see how this one plays out.

CjC
CjC

Mansell89 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 11:33
Back to back weekends in Austria- looking forward to this as it’s a short circuit with very close lap times and no room for error in qualifying.

I’m very intrigued to see how Mclaren perform at the second event in particular. Last season I thought they were slower at the second events compared to the first ones at Austria and Silverstone.
Just a fan's point of view

adrianjordan

CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 13:46
Mansell89 wrote:

I’m very intrigued to see how Mclaren perform at the second event in particular. Last season I thought they were slower at the second events compared to the first ones at Austria and Silverstone.
I got the impression last year that, in these instances, they hit the ground running with setup while others took longer to find their optimum.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Maybe Lando is under contract from Drive To Survive to give them more material to work with next series lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Balalu
Balalu

adrianjordan wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:16
CjC wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 13:46
Mansell89 wrote:

I got the impression last year that, in these instances, they hit the ground running with setup while others took longer to find their optimum.
Exactly this ^
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Emag
Emag

Actually, I feel like McLaren were maximizing their package better than the rest of the field last year. Austria 1 was better than Austria 2 because the competition caught up. Same with the British events.

Anyway, I hope the car performs as well as it has performed since 2019 in Austria. We should be in for a good race if that is the case.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Did McLaren fall back in Austria 2 last year really? Race 1 was P3/P5 > Race 2 was P5/P9. But if you account for Max, Lewis and Albon's issues in Race 1, the Race 2 result was pretty representative?