Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Silly season 2016

After reading/hearing a bit today via various different sources, ill submit a new 2016 entry list:

Mercedes AMG: 44] HAM / 6] ROS
Scuderia Ferrari: 5] VET / 7] RAI
Williams-Mercedes: 19] MAS / 77] BOT
VAG-Red Bull-Ferrari: 03] RIC / 26] KVJ
Force India-Mercedes: 27] HUL / 11] PER
Infiniti Lotus Renault-Mercedes: 13] MAL / (20] MAG / 25] VER / XX] VAN / XX] PIC)
Toro Rosso-Ferrari: 55] SAI / 33] VES
Sauber-Ferrari: 9] ERI / 12] NAS
McLaren-Honda: 14] ALO / 22] BUT
Manor-Mercedes: 53] RSI / XX] WHE
HAAS-Ferrari: 8] GRO / 21] GUT

Renault to take a year out as a engine supplier to get their stuff together and develop and bring a great 2017 power unit.

efuloni
efuloni

I think almost everyone is underestimating Haas because of the last three new teams we saw (virgin, hispania and green lotus). I really dont think Haas will be that bad. They have a good history in american competitions, good names in staff and, most of all, a close partnership with ferrari. My bet is that they will be more or less like Sauber this year or STR the year before. Grab a few points and all.

Of course it is not a very nice deal, but if it means a bigger shot in the Ferrari seat, I believe Grosjean is making the right move, mainly if you consider that this Lotus-Renault thing doesnt seem to be going in a very conspicuous path

Paul

ESPImperium wrote:...
Infiniti Lotus Renault-Mercedes
That's even better than BMW Sauber Ferrari. :D

PlatinumZealot

iotar__ wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Seems to be a lot of talk that Renault have signed to fund Lotus-Merc next season and will re-enter in 2017.

Few whispers of a Vergne-Maldonado line up.

*edit* Grosjean agreed to join Haas allegedly with Ferrari keen to keep an eye on his data for 2017.
Neither whisper makes sense to me:
- where will they be developing their engine after Red Bull split? Dyno and simulators?

- Unless a bulletproof contract with Ferrari for 2017 is attached (signed and 20 million of compensation) driving for Haas means absolutely nothing and if Grosjean doesn't know it he's not smart. New backmarker team with only competition in Marussia at the end of grid is some kind of benchmark for Ferrari seat but 4 previous season are not?

Ferrari bosses have all the data in the world about their own drivers, bunch of people from Lotus and are making one bad decision after another. Where was Haas data when they overpaid Vettel, kept Raikkonen to make him look good (and marketing) or when got stuck on Bottas?

Edit: Colour me surprised AMuS seems to confirm the rumours. Renault's comeback. https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 80972.html
Maldo staying and Grosjean leaves? Then they start in the dumbest way, remove one of few remaining assets, keep bunch of incompetent people that drove the team into current position, add ideas like keeping Mercedes engine and some yet unclear management changes: Prost, Vasseur, Abiteboul. I don't see a long trail of success behind them. So Renault will be bankrolling Mercedes engines because current technical team can't make an engine adjustments like Red Bull? Weird but we'll see, it's their money to waste.
Iota, when you think of share that Mercedes has in Renault and Vice-Versa... it does make financial sense to scrap the Renault engine altogether and just run the team with a Renault banner. This way there is no bad words towards Renault by other teams. When people buy a Renault, they buy a car and not an engine. So it is a wise move to do this. The team can run "de-badged" Mercedes engines.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

RicME85

efuloni wrote:I think almost everyone is underestimating Haas
It's probably to do with Dallara building the chassis. Yes Hispania didn't give them much money to do the job but has Haas?
Are Dallara good enough to produce a competitive F1 chassis?

iotar__

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Iota, when you think of share that Mercedes has in Renault and Vice-Versa... it does make financial sense to scrap the Renault engine altogether and just run the team with a Renault banner. This way there is no bad words towards Renault by other teams. When people buy a Renault, they buy a car and not an engine. So it is a wise move to do this. The team can run "de-badged" Mercedes engines.
I don't understand your point:
- Renault is in F1 to promote their own brand and their own hybrid engine in connection with their own works team now, running other engine goes against it,
- the idea to keep Mercedes engines (as described by AMuS, link above) stems from technical reasons, chassis prepared for it and not Renault, I find this explanation weird because Red Bull (currently Renault) claimed they would have no problem with transition to any engine - Ferrari or Mercedes. There's a simple other reason: performance.
- it seems obvious that delaying development of Renault engine by keeping Merc at Lotus/Renault would result in them falling even further behind engines running and being developed on track,
- remember that (supposedly) the idea would be transitional year and going back to Renault for 2017 which goes against your "it doesn't matter for Renault consumer clients which engine they run",

Overall it doesn't make sense to me except for performance part for one season.

ScottB
ScottB

iotar__ wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
I don't understand your point:
- Renault is in F1 to promote their own brand and their own hybrid engine in connection with their own works team now, running other engine goes against it,
- the idea to keep Mercedes engines (as described by AMuS, link above) stems from technical reasons, chassis prepared for it and not Renault, I find this explanation weird because Red Bull (currently Renault) claimed they would have no problem with transition to any engine - Ferrari or Mercedes. There's a simple other reason: performance.
- it seems obvious that delaying development of Renault engine by keeping Merc at Lotus/Renault would result in them falling even further behind engines running and being developed on track,
- remember that (supposedly) the idea would be transitional year and going back to Renault for 2017 which goes against your "it doesn't matter for Renault consumer clients which engine they run",

Overall it doesn't make sense to me except for performance part for one season.
Plus I doubt Enstone / Renault have the resources / number of staff / amount of money that RBR will be willing to throw at reworking the 2016 car design.

Also of course Red Bull are motivated to do it to get a better engine, whereas for Lotus, they may as well stick with the best that's available, while Renault take time to rework their engine in peace.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Ted Kravitz thinks Button is retiring and that Magnusson will likely replace him. Vandoorne likely to get a learning year at Manor.
iotar__ wrote:Where was Haas data when they overpaid Vettel,
Eh? Vettel is comfortably the driver of the year.

Itchy_digits
Itchy_digits

Did anyone see Buttons post quali interview on sky yesterday? It was a stand around chat with Hill, Herbert and Lazenby (I think). Although Jenson is always jovial he seemed particularly cheeky and slightly less concerned with what he was saying in my opinion. I may be reading too much into it but I did think it seemed like a man who had made up his mind and was set on thoroughly enjoying himself and the end of his F1 career.

Who knows but I think Ted might just be right. It'll be sad if so but I think he'd be making a sensible decision really.

ME4ME

I personally hope he is retiring - and made the decision himself.
He has got many great years in F1, he doesn't need and maybe want another miserable year in F1.
I think it would be good for him to step aside, on his own terms, and give either Kmag och Stoffel a chance.

iotar__

Grosjean to leave Lotus for Haas http://en.f1i.com/news/25781-grosjean-t ... -haas.html
"Renault Sport F1 managing director admitted to Canal+ on its show 'The Grid' that it was a shame Renault had not factored retaining Grosjean in to its takeover negotiations at Lotus."
Nice competent start from new team's management, what about current Lotus brains, they weren't interested? Too busy doing what exactly? Keeping their jobs by failing time after time I guess. They still have Palmer well prepared and in '17 Raikkonen might be available.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

iotar__ wrote:Grosjean to leave Lotus for Haas http://en.f1i.com/news/25781-grosjean-t ... -haas.html
"Renault Sport F1 managing director admitted to Canal+ on its show 'The Grid' that it was a shame Renault had not factored retaining Grosjean in to its takeover negotiations at Lotus."
Nice competent start from new team's management, what about current Lotus brains, they weren't interested? Too busy doing what exactly? Keeping their jobs by failing time after time I guess. They still have Palmer well prepared and in '17 Raikkonen might be available.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Vergne go in there, especially given the rumours the last few days. Renault will want ideally a French driver in the car and if Total are staying around, they would be content with a French driver..

dr.chaos
dr.chaos

Grosjean just kind of confirmed leaving Lotus (LIVE on Canal+)

Romain smiling, Prost less so.

FrukostScones

Who needs JEV when you can BUE...

BUE MAL

sweet
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

fenix4life
fenix4life

Jonnycraig wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Grosjean to leave Lotus for Haas http://en.f1i.com/news/25781-grosjean-t ... -haas.html
Wouldn't be surprised to see Vergne go in there, especially given the rumours the last few days. Renault will want ideally a French driver in the car and if Total are staying around, they would be content with a French driver..
Apperently the managign director suggested that a French Driver is not a certainty as Renault is suposed to be an international constructor