2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Dipesh1995 wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:47
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:39
_cerber1 wrote:
17 May 2019, 13:16

Thank! =D>
Yeah, it's Mr. Roldan. I thought you guys knew him! Follow him on Twitter.
Dr. Roldan* :)
Sorry. :lol: He is the Senior Aerodynamicist at McLaren after all. :lol:

mwillems

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
18 May 2019, 04:44
Dipesh1995 wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:47
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
17 May 2019, 23:39

Yeah, it's Mr. Roldan. I thought you guys knew him! Follow him on Twitter.
Dr. Roldan* :)
Sorry. :lol: He is the Senior Aerodynamicist at McLaren after all. :lol:
I think that whatever his seniority, if Ivan has posted this then there is truth to it, or at least it reflects his opinion.

I'm still not sure Monaco will be the greatest of races for us, but who knows.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So guys, obviously, if we loose Petrobras, we’ll be in the market for a new supplier. What could the options be? Would it be better/possible to get a branded non supplying partner, that would be exclusively marketing and commercial and keep using BP Castrol? Like Petrobras did with Williams a few years ago.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

M840TR
M840TR

Bolsonaro (Brazilian President):
In 2018, Petrobrás signed an advertising contract of R $782 million ($191 million) with McLaren, valid for 5 years. At the moment, the company, by decision of my Government, seeks a way to terminate the contract. Good night, everyone!
https://twitter.com/jairbolsonaro/statu ... 5910747136

Firstly, I didn't know the agreement was this this much. Even if half of it goes to R&D that's still a decent sponsorship injection. Secondly, it's interesting he mentions the contract term of 5 years; maybe he's implying an inevitable pay in damages in case it's terminated prematurely. Let's see if his words materialize.

Edit: typo
Last edited by M840TR on 18 May 2019, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

It's £3.5m less a year for Mclaren once it is over, but what is strange is the politics that surround it.

In terms of sponsorship, I guess we must have increased our sponsorships a lot over the past 2 years, there will be ups and downs. I don't doubt that the team will pull in money from elsewhere. It doesn't need to be another petrochemical company that sponsors us, because we have Castrol to fall back on.
Given the teams current upwards trend, I'd hope we won't find it too hard to fill that space on the car. Either way, as long as it is a one off and not a trend it won't make too much difference to Mclaren economically and I expect Zak and the new marketing director to be on the phone trying to fill that gap on the car.

Seems like a start to the job that the new Marketing director would have preferred to avoid!

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Chevron? Maybe they can be the new Exxon Mobil for McLaren?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

RonDennis
RonDennis

M840TR wrote:
18 May 2019, 14:39
In 2018, Petrobrás signed an advertising contract of R $782 million ($19 million) with McLaren, valid for 5 years. At the moment, the company, by decision of my Government, seeks a way to terminate the contract. Good night, everyone!

Firstly, I didn't know the agreement was this this much. Even if half of it goes to R&D that's still a decent sponsorship injection. Secondly, it's interesting he mentions the contract term of 5 years; maybe he's implying an inevitable pay in damages in case it's terminated prematurely. Let's see if his words materialize.
19 million? Are you sure? R$ 782 million is way, way more than that.

These guys won't stand a chance anyway, it's the reason why companies sign contracts, so that they can't leave whenever they feel like. They can leave, just pay the amount McLaren wants.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

RonDennis wrote:
18 May 2019, 15:17
M840TR wrote:
In 2018, Petrobrás signed an advertising contract of R $782 million ($19 million) with McLaren, valid for 5 years. At the moment, the company, by decision of my Government, seeks a way to terminate the contract. Good night, everyone!

These guys won't stand a chance anyway, it's the reason why companies sign contracts, so that they can't leave whenever they feel like. They can leave, just pay the amount McLaren wants.
Speaking of contracts, did McLaren pay Honda to end the contract? Other reports have R$782M equivalent as $150M

RonDennis
RonDennis

Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 15:35
RonDennis wrote:
M840TR wrote:

Speaking of contracts, did McLaren pay Honda to end the contract? Other reports have R$782M equivalent as $150M
Not sure. I don't think so. Honda was happy to move to Toro Rosso/Red Bull.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
RonDennis wrote:
M840TR wrote:

782 Million Brazilian Reais = 191 Million USD... That’s a lot of Money... I want to think someone is missing a “dot” somewhere...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

That would be title sponsor amounts almost, I cant believe it given their position on the car.

-Bandit

ME4ME

Whatever Mclaren does next, and whichever petrolium brand they get onboard to sponsor them, they should stick to use whatever fuel and lubricants their engine supplier uses and don't pretend to be doing anything else.
In this V6 turbo hybrid era fuel is too crucial an component to start developing from scratch. The disadvantage would be too big, no matter the money.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:09
That would be title sponsor amounts almost, I cant believe it given their position on the car.
Makes you wonder how much McLaren would expect from a title sponsor deal. Though I read that Philip Morris deal for Ferrari is worth $160M per year. Not sure if the reporting is accurate. If it is, McLaren would probably seek at least half of that? Which I doubt anyone would pay, at least not the way things are presently.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ME4ME wrote:
18 May 2019, 17:27
Whatever Mclaren does next, and whichever petrolium brand they get onboard to sponsor them, they should stick to use whatever fuel and lubricants their engine supplier uses and don't pretend to be doing anything else.
In this V6 turbo hybrid era fuel is too crucial an component to start developing from scratch. The disadvantage would be too big, no matter the money.
My worry is Renault, and by association, BP. How motivated are they, are they pushing with fuel and lubricants like Shell, Mobil etc are? With their chassis issues, (or maybe tyres) will PU development in terms of performance take a back seat?

ME4ME

Ground Effect wrote:
18 May 2019, 18:35
My worry is Renault, and by association, BP. How motivated are they, are they pushing with fuel and lubricants like Shell, Mobil etc are? With their chassis issues, (or maybe tyres) will PU development in terms of performance take a back seat?
In my opinion development doesn't stop or even slows down in one area just because the focus is on another. Not with individual units making up a team or a company as a whole. This is sometimes managers' what believe, working in their own bubble and in extention media and fans believe that this is what's going on within the team. In reality, engineers will continuesly keep working at solving problems within their area of experise. Renault will have hundreds of people working on the PU in Viry and hundreds of people working on the car in Enstone, one will not grind to a halt because the other is missing their objectives.

I do share your concern, from a Mclaren standpoint, if Renault really is comitted enough to make a top power unit. Personally I don't think they'll ever be nr1 or even nr2. But maybe that isn't ultimately required? Time will tell.