Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: Silly season 2016

Maldonado confirmed at Lotus for 2016.

...f**k my life.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

iotar__

Jonnycraig wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Grosjean to leave Lotus for Haas http://en.f1i.com/news/25781-grosjean-t ... -haas.html
"Renault Sport F1 managing director admitted to Canal+ on its show 'The Grid' that it was a shame Renault had not factored retaining Grosjean in to its takeover negotiations at Lotus."
Nice competent start from new team's management, what about current Lotus brains, they weren't interested? Too busy doing what exactly? Keeping their jobs by failing time after time I guess. They still have Palmer well prepared and in '17 Raikkonen might be available.
Wouldn't be surprised to see Vergne go in there, especially given the rumours the last few days. Renault will want ideally a French driver in the car and if Total are staying around, they would be content with a French driver..
Possible, it's not like they have many options. Vergne is not quick enough over one lap, decent racer but overall not even close to top drivers. Who else, Perez? I think he's staying at FI if he's smart. Only a couple of other names remaining.

ME4ME

stefan_ wrote:Maldonado confirmed at Lotus for 2016.

http://wtf1.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 095887.jpg

...f**k my life.
Dear lord.. when are we going to get rid of him!? :shock:

At first it was funny having him on the grid. Now the fun is over and he is just occupying a seat.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

ME4ME wrote:

...f**k my life.

At first it was funny having him on the grid. Now the fun is over and he is just occupying a seat.
He will be in F1 as long as he wants to be. $50m is just too much for teams to turn down, especially in the current F1 marketplace. It's anywhere from 30-50% of a mid pack teams annual budget through one deal.

PlatinumZealot

ME4ME wrote:

...f**k my life.

As long as there is dino oil under the ground the Maldonated one shall grace...erm grater.. the grid.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Jolle
Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
ME4ME wrote:

...f**k my life.

As long as there is dino oil under the ground the Maldonated one shall grace...erm grater.. the grid.
If you're business is struggling for cash, you have no other option to take this clown... Not singing would probably mean direct bankruptcy.

Phil

ME4ME wrote:At first it was funny having him on the grid. Now the fun is over and he is just occupying a seat.
Hate him as much as you want, he is a GP winner and I'd rather have a driver like him who drives at 150% than one that struggles to keep himself motivated...

Yes, he's done dangerous things, but to be honest, at this rate, I don't think he's been more dangerous than everyones favorite this year Verstappen (though he is still young).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

FW17

So if RG goes to Haas, could Total follow him?

iotar__

WilliamsF1 wrote:So if RG goes to Haas, could Total follow him?
I don't know. Was Total on Lotus-Renault cars when Petrov, Heidfeld, Kubica etc. were driving them? Was Total on Red Bull-Renault? Will Haas be running Ferrari engines? Yes. What fuel will they use? The same one as Ferrari? Will Lotus/Renault use Renault engines? I don't know.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:So if RG goes to Haas, could Total follow him?
Seems unlikely. Haas will be running Shell, and Total will want to be involved with Renault in 2017.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

According to Amus, it will be Vergne or Ocon for the second Lotus seat.

*edit* Button also expected to announce his retirement this weekend.

superdowg316

Jonnycraig wrote:*edit* Button also expected to announce his retirement this weekend.
What a shame if that happens, especially with the previous two/three years he's had. I've been a Jenson Button fan since his Benetton and Renault days and he's one of the last few classic characters in F1 from when I was younger apart from Kimi and Fernando. He's had such a roller coaster career from being in the lows of Benetton and Honda to the heights of that Brawn GP World Championship and his first 3 years at McLaren. Hopefully him and Webber can team up for a all-star Porsche assault on the FIA WEC scene. At least he'll be able to dictate it and not Ron or Eric.
Friendship with Honda ended, Renault is my new (and more reliable) friend.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

superdowg316 wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:*edit* Button also expected to announce his retirement this weekend.
What a shame if that happens, especially with the previous two/three years he's had. I've been a Jenson Button fan since his Benetton and Renault days and he's one of the last few classic characters in F1 from when I was younger apart from Kimi and Fernando. He's had such a roller coaster career from being in the lows of Benetton and Honda to the heights of that Brawn GP World Championship and his first 3 years at McLaren. Hopefully him and Webber can team up for a all-star Porsche assault on the FIA WEC scene. At least he'll be able to dictate it and not Ron or Eric.
If he decides to go to WEC it will be with Toyota. He was talking to them last season before resigning with McLaren.

kptaylor
kptaylor

Wow! A lot of new news today.

So, if Haas will be GUT/GRO, and Renault may be Maldonado & Vergne or Maldonado & Kevin, or Maldonado & Perez, that shakes things up a bit.

I do wonder if Lotus has signed Maldonado does that mean a Renault takeover would have to honor that contract? It kind of sounded like Grojean wanted to possibly stay if the team was Renault and not Lotus. So are Renault buying Lotus ( I believe so), or are they waiting for some sort of receivership to buy the dregs of the team and form a new team?

ME4ME

Phil wrote:
ME4ME wrote:At first it was funny having him on the grid. Now the fun is over and he is just occupying a seat.
Hate him as much as you want, he is a GP winner and I'd rather have a driver like him who drives at 150% than one that struggles to keep himself motivated...

Yes, he's done dangerous things, but to be honest, at this rate, I don't think he's been more dangerous than everyones favorite this year Verstappen (though he is still young).
Funny you mention his win. One of only few highlights of his F1 career. To me that's not worth much: he trew away that season and didn't score many points afterwards. He got beaten over the remaining of the season by B. Senna. He should have done so much better, that Williams was capable of a lot more than he exctracted.

I don't care for his flashes of speed - he is always over the edge, which means time from time to time he is quick, but most often he is just dangerous and selfdestructive. To many times he has binned it. To me he is one of the absolute worst drivers on the grid.

As for Verstappen - I won't even go into that discussion. Even as a rookie he is way better than Maldonado ever was.