2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: 2015 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

f1316 wrote:Changing tack a bit, there seems to be a lot of speculation that Ferrari now have a qualifying mode - and the result seems to indicate that we're looking at something a bit like Mercedes pre Canada, I.e. Something that can't be used throughout the race.

Still, it takes on a bit more signifance somewhere like Singapore, the place where the field were anomalously close in qualifying last year. If - and it's a huge if - the 0.23 gap from monza can somehow turn into a pole in Singapore, you'd say it'll be very hard to make a pass anywhere other than the pits, even with better race pace.
I think there's a definite possibility they have a new mode. I also think it's a possibility that Hamilton fluffed his qualifying a bit. He didn't seem particularly pleased with the lap and after the race suggested that he had much more of a race set up than a qualy. However, the leap forwards Ferrari made, you'd have to say that if Merc hadn't've gone forwards with their engine then it could've been a Ferrari front row at monza.

Another question I have, Merc in particular and several other teams as well have really problems with their brakes. THey only have to follow another car for two or three laps before they get overheating issues. Surely, the drivers should be pushing them to make them more robust, if they lose a tenth or even two tenths in absolute pace then isn't that a sacrifice that they could make to be able to race should they find themselves out of position?

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Just_a_fan wrote:
GPR-A wrote:https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/640555567870832640
https://twitter.com/ScarbsF1/status/640556441183645696
I am sure every team follows the same procedure, but why was it abnormal in Mercedes case? For argument sake, even if .3 is granted, but 1.1 is a big change. 1.1 simply can't be an error and I suspect some intent there and that could well have been executed on .3 too. [...] I agree with some here that, they got away because they are Mercedes and even Ferrari could have gotten away.
You missed the bit where they say that the tyres on the Mercedes cars were significantly cooler than on the other cars when checked on the grid? There is no "getting away with" involved. The procedure says tyre pressures are set when fitted to the car - and Pirelli have said the tyres were correctly set at that point in time.

The whole issue came about because the FIA "technical delegate" on track doesn't understand simple as school boy physics. The only people who did anything wrong in this debacle were the FIA. No one else. Just the FIA.
Exactly, it has also made me wonder about Merc's tyre preparations. Have they discovered that the tyres last longer if you only heat them up at the very last moment, or something like that? Just wondering what reason there is to have the tyres not warmed up is all.

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote:BTW; As for the race.

I'm surprised by the lack of talk about Williams. They were very lucky to inherit that 3rd place podium, but in reality, I'm a bit surprised by their absolute lack of killer instinct. As it was, they could have simply waved past Rosberg, because the way he got by both Williams with the undercut just screams absolute amateurs. If they had any killer instinct at all, they would have pitted Massa *before* Mercedes had pitted Rosberg and he would not have been able to get past. But once again, they waited too long and when Rosberg did pit, they tried to cover Massa but it was already too late. They were extremely lucky to get on that podium.

As for Rosberg... I feel a bit gutted for him, but maybe it'll do him good. I fear Rosberg is a bit too passive for his own good. Maybe I'm wrong and he's giving everything that he can, but it just seems a bit that he's waiting a bit too much for 'faith' to come his way and that a DNF on Lewis's car might turn around the championship. Now that he is trailing by 53 points, it effectively means he can't win the WDC on his own anymore. There are 7 races left, so winning the next 7 races will only net him 49 points if Lewis finishes 2nd. Unlikely yes, but quite telling how significant a 53 point lead is. It also means Lewis can park his car twice and still lead the championship if Rosberg wins them both. How is this good for Rosberg? Well for him, it's not about playing the numbers game anymore. It's either 'give it all or give up' for him. I'm going to expect an incredible new Rosberg next race or a resigned one. A DNF by Lewis and a win by him might give him back that 'something'.

Anyway, as unlucky as Rosberg is, assuming he would have finished 3rd, he 'only' lost 15 points to Lewis with his DNF. Technically, it's all level now, as Lewis was robbed of Monaco by that utter stupid team decision and there Rosberg gained 17 points (he gained 7 points, Lewis lost 10). So with that DNF from 3rd position, the WDC gap is now what it could have been if that Monaco f***-up never happened.
While I think that's an excellent post and agree with a lot of it, there are some points of my own that are slightly different from yours.

1) On the Williams subject- I think, for a change, they weren't late to react. I don't remember precisely, but I think Rosberg boxed on Lap 19 for a one stopper and I think teams were looking for a window from Lap 21. I see where you're coming from, in the sense that they're a reactive lot than a pro active one, but I didn't expect Rosberg to jump Massa. I think, he would have done the opposite of Bottas on Lap 19 and regardless he was gobbling him up. Mercedes, were just too fast for Williams. Honestly, I'm a fan of Williams and this Mercedes engine deal at least keeps them afloat and healthy, but they're not a team I associate with points. I know things change and teams collapse and all that stuff and I have no issue with them being a customer with a Mercedes lump in the back but a lot about Williams is very uninspiring. I think Rob Smedley and Pat Symonds aren't the correct guys to engineer the team forward and I would personally keep either Bottas/Massa in the team depending on the finance and results ratio. This point about personnel is just my personal opinion, but to me those lads always exhume negativity or fake positivity. It's just my view.

2) I think Rosberg has been quite unlucky with reliability this year. It's a bit like Hamilton last year. But, I think there's no doubt who's the better driver on every front. I don't think the result this year lies. He's been that far off Hamilton. I would also say that there was a LOT of rubbish written last year by the media that he was more in the mould of Prost, while Hamilton in the mould of Senna. While the latter is comparable, I think it was lunacy to even put Prost in the same bracket as Rosberg. I don't think Rosberg is half as intelligent as Hamilton and Prost could sell the Eiffel tower to Bernie. So, I'm glad that this one I've got off my chest. The problem with Rosberg is that he concentrates way too much on what the others are doing (in particular Hamilton) and not much on himself. What Prost and Senna did astoundingly well when they had a dominant car was that they looked to win grand prix. The moment you start focussing all your energy towards that single goal, the points, the championship, the rivalry and everything else takes care of itself. You don't need to devour an ounce of energy to that sort of stuff or the media propaganda. Rosberg in 2015 in particular has been making quite a mockery of himself. He came up second best against Vettel with his media banter before Malaysia. He then chose to take it to the next level while in Malaysia and Vettel ended up beating the pair of the Mercedes. Hamilton in the mean time was simply driving. He accused Hamilton of intentionally putting him in Vettel's traps in China? I mean really? If you're so fast why don't you overtake him? Then after qualifying he said that he wasn't worried about the Ferrari's when it was pretty clear that they were a threat and I think, 3/4th of the F1 fraternity would have put money on Vettel to finish ahead of Rosberg after qualifying at Monza. In Hungary, he could have bolted the options on and gone for the win but he copy pasted Hamilton's strategy. Unfortunately, when you're so mentally destroyed like Rosberg is by Hamilton, you don't win championships and I will not in the least be surprised if Vettel manages to finish runner up in 2015.

3) While Hamilton has driven well this year, 2015 hasn't been one of his flawless seasons. I think, he was incredibly incredibly lucky in Silverstone where he made a couple of errors and he basically gambled on a pit stop when Rosberg was 2.5-3 seconds a lap faster. I think, Rosberg deserved a victory that day and that was basically the equaliser for Monaco. I also think Hamilton was awful @ Hungary. The championship is well and truly over and it would be a travesty if Rosberg lucked into it. I don't see a hope in high hell of him beating Hamilton. I think, Lewis is in his prime, driving quite superbly as Vettel attributed yesterday, but a solid driver who could win grand prix when his competition screwed up would be in the vicinity of 25-30 within Hamilton. Rosberg has just had a poor poor season and one that I don't think he will recover from. On the flip side, there's no shame in losing to Hamilton as I feel he's going to end up as an all time legend. But, there's a way you can lose and I'm afraid Rosberg fails there as well.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

If I could just ask everyone that follows the technicalities of F1.

So Mercedes have used their tokens while Ferrari have 4 left. Is it safe to say that the Mercedes cars are now 0.7-1 second a lap faster in race trim? At least, Hamilton seemed to be when he was asked to push the button in the closing stages?

What do you guys feel the relative gap is? I think the Ferrari struggles in the high speed stuff like hell, they're 0.5 seconds down on power circuits in races while 0.3-0.4 down in quail and their strength seems to be circuits with slower corners? Relative to the Mercedes.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

ripper
ripper

That's why I'm looking for HAM, VET and ROS last 5 laps time. I would like to know an approximate gap between new Merc PU, old Merc PU (at the end of its life) and new Ferrari PU while they were pushing as hard as possible with similar tyres and similar fuel weight

Schuttelberg

ripper wrote:That's why I'm looking for HAM, VET and ROS last 5 laps time. I would like to know an approximate gap between new Merc PU, old Merc PU (at the end of its life) and new Ferrari PU while they were pushing as hard as possible with similar tyres and similar fuel weight
Rosberg's lap times are a bit irrelevant as he was using an older spec of the Mercedes engine.

ripper
ripper

I wounldn't mind to know an estimate between Merc old spec and Merc new spec.

Schuttelberg

ripper wrote:I wounldn't mind to know an estimate between Merc old spec and Merc new spec.
You also have to factor in the driver. I get your point though.

Phil

Schuttelberg wrote:While I think that's an excellent post and agree with a lot of it, there are some points of my own that are slightly different from yours.

1) On the Williams subject- I think, for a change, they weren't late to react. I don't remember precisely, but I think Rosberg boxed on Lap 19 for a one stopper and I think teams were looking for a window from Lap 21.
You are probably right; Mercedes did pit quite early (lap 19 is correct). On lap 18, the gap to Bottas was <1 second and Bottas was ~1.2-1.5s behind Massa. So 2.5s tops was well within reach with an undercut in a car that was clearly significantly quicker (Rosberg dropped back to cool his brakes and then closed up behind Bottas extremely quick). Also the pit-stops of the Williams were quite a bit slower too.

Anyway, Monza at 53 laps and a pretty clear one-stop race puts the half sint at 26 laps. They started on options on heavy cars, so as you say, 21 might be the ideal window for optimal stints. I think lap 19 would have been well within reach for Williams to pit, or go super aggressive on lap 18. It would have been great to at least see them attempt *something*. Or, they could have pitted Bottas early and foce Mercedes into an early pitstop. I would have rather see them fail trying, then failing doing nothing. Having that said, the Mercedes clearly has better tire deg, so they do have more options in regards to pitting more aggressive. Perhaps Williams is still psychologically in "survival mode" (maximizing points), rather than actually with the mindset of a front-running team fighting for wins.
Schuttelberg wrote:I think Rosberg has been quite unlucky with reliability this year. It's a bit like Hamilton last year.
Really?! How so? With the exception of this race, I can't remember any technical glitches, burning engines, failing brakes or anything that had an influence anything like last year. Only driver errors, perhaps set-up related, but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe you need to refresh my memory?
Schuttelberg wrote:While Hamilton has driven well this year, 2015 hasn't been one of his flawless seasons. I think, he was incredibly incredibly lucky in Silverstone where he made a couple of errors and he basically gambled on a pit stop when Rosberg was 2.5-3 seconds a lap faster. I think, Rosberg deserved a victory that day and that was basically the equaliser for Monaco. I also think Hamilton was awful @ Hungary.
I don't. I think Hungary is exaggerated to a degree. He was racing his team-mate and especially on a track like Hungary, passing is extremely difficult. You see an opportunity, you take it - especially when you are racing the sister car. Brazil last year showed nicely that on certain tracks, overtaking a similar paced car becomes nigh on impossible. Passing your team-mate is even more difficult, because you can't use strategy as a differentiator. He was never going to pass him on the straights, so he took a risk and ended up in the gravel. Tough luck. He came through the field again. The later crash he had on cold tires perhaps was unfortunate, but he did pay for that with the drive-through too. He was perhaps 'lucky' that Rosberg clashed with Ricciardo, but I am having a hard time feeling sorry for him given that it was his driving that put him into that path of collision (a bit like Spa 2011 when Hamilton dived back onto the racing line and into Kobayashi's front wing). Extremely unlucky, but, it didn't cost him that much point wise (only a handful of points).

Now Silverstone. Some call it luck, some call it perfect timing. I see no reason how that could be any sort of equalizer, not even close, with a race where Hamilton lead the race by what 20+ seconds and then came in for a set of tires that were never needed and gave up one of the most dominant wins with it as it propelled him back to 3rd and promoted Rosberg for the win that was never his. Sorry, I really don't. Also considering Rosberg was only quicker when the conditions changed and he was in a car with much better grip (as a result of aggressive driving to pass the Williams that lead to much higher tire temperatures). I agree Hamilton was lucky to come in the right time - but I don't believe in being masters of changeable conditions like Button is always hyped up to be - as there is no way to predict how the weather will turn out - you take a gamble, it either works out or it doesn't. Hamilton did, and it worked out. Changeable conditions is always a thing of luck to a degree. Worst case scenario; he would have came 2nd to Rosbergs first which would have been 7 points. How can his win and lead by another 7 points be considered any sort of equalizer from a race that lost him 17 points?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A duplicate2

f1316 wrote:Changing tack a bit, there seems to be a lot of speculation that Ferrari now have a qualifying mode - and the result seems to indicate that we're looking at something a bit like Mercedes pre Canada, I.e. Something that can't be used throughout the race.

Still, it takes on a bit more signifance somewhere like Singapore, the place where the field were anomalously close in qualifying last year. If - and it's a huge if - the 0.23 gap from monza can somehow turn into a pole in Singapore, you'd say it'll be very hard to make a pass anywhere other than the pits, even with better race pace.
Phil wrote:I agree, though I'm convinced Hamilton's engine wasn't turned up in Q3 for Monza as they usually do. As others have pointed out, his Q2 lap was quicker than the pole lap and I'm not sure it was because the track got significantly cooler. So perhaps the gap was closer than usual also because of that.
I have a different feeling about this. If you would have listened to Nico's radio from his engineer, it said, Vettel's tyres were gone before anyone's in first stint and they were sure it would be case with Mediums too and hence be prepared to attack Vettel at later stages and a P2 was possible. It was indeed the case and although Nico had clad mediums 7 laps earlier than Vettel, he was still able to close the gap. So my conclusion is, Ferrari probably went with very aggressive tyre setup to gain in qualifying. No doubt they have an improved PU, which is obvious compared to Spa, but the tyre situation is entirely different. Ferrari were supposed to have best tyre life situation, but here it was not. As for qualifying itself, I had provided the times from FP1 to Q3 and it was evident in the first 2 laps when Lewis opened a gap of 2.2 seconds. 1.5 seconds in one lap alone, before stabilizing and going half a second faster in subsequent laps.
When Vettel pitted at lap 24, he was doing a 1:29.430 and Lewis was doing 1:28.122. So to me, the tyre setup was very aggressive on Ferraris.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Meanwhile, Michelin's latest research (picked up today) is on an interesting subject haha

http://fleetworld.co.uk/news/2015/Sep/3 ... 0434021410

WaikeCU

Reports were in that Mercedes were testing the '2016' engine this weekend. So from what I understand is that either:

- Mercedes used all of its tokens on an engine upgrade which they branded '2016' and tested on Friday?
- Mercedes raced with unchanged engines from earlier in the season.

or

- Mercedes tested a totally new '2016' engine on Friday
- Mercedes raced with engines that were upgraded with all of the tokens.

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

I thought it was option 3, and that they tested the "2016" as you call it on Friday, then Lewis raced it, Nico used the 2015 due to water contamination.

Schuttelberg

Phil wrote: I would have rather see them fail trying, then failing doing nothing. Having that said, the Mercedes clearly has better tire deg, so they do have more options in regards to pitting more aggressive. Perhaps Williams is still psychologically in "survival mode" (maximizing points), rather than actually with the mindset of a front-running team fighting for wins.
Amen.
Phil wrote:I think Hungary is exaggerated to a degree. He was racing his team-mate and especially on a track like Hungary, passing is extremely difficult. You see an opportunity, you take it - especially when you are racing the sister car. Brazil last year showed nicely that on certain tracks, overtaking a similar paced car becomes nigh on impossible. Passing your team-mate is even more difficult, because you can't use strategy as a differentiator. He was never going to pass him on the straights, so he took a risk and ended up in the gravel. Tough luck. He came through the field again. The later crash he had on cold tires perhaps was unfortunate, but he did pay for that with the drive-through too.
I don't think it's exaggerated. I think Hamilton has always had Rosberg in his back pocket at wheel to wheel racing and in their time together if he's had the pace, he's passed Rosberg on track. I thought he made a desperate lunge and in my opinion if he had bided his time he would have got him. At least, he wouldn't have put himself out of sync in terms of a race win. Sometimes, on somedays you rather lose 3 points than 18 which Hamilton was on course for at Hungary. I'm all for overtaking and aggressive driving but what separates a Hamilton from your average driver is his judgement to complete the pass 'cleanly.' His judgement was off that day and I feel it wasn't down to luck.
Phil wrote:He was perhaps 'lucky' that Rosberg clashed with Ricciardo, but I am having a hard time feeling sorry for him given that it was his driving that put him into that path of collision (a bit like Spa 2011 when Hamilton dived back onto the racing line and into Kobayashi's front wing). Extremely unlucky, but, it didn't cost him that much point wise (only a handful of points).
Okay, again, I don't feel Hamilton was lucky that day. I've always believed that Rosberg is very clumsy at racing against drivers of repute. His hesitation, haste and desperation is all too evident. In my mind, Ricciardo did nothing wrong and the blame completely lay with Rosberg for feeling the need to close the door so vehemently without being spatially aware of where his car was relative to Ricciardo's. Again, before I rub some people reading this the wrong way, this is my opinion and I also have some consideration for the people who feel that Ricciardo was being over optimistic there.
Phil wrote: Silverstone. Some call it luck, some call it perfect timing. I see no reason how that could be any sort of equalizer, not even close, with a race where Hamilton lead the race by what 20+ seconds and then came in for a set of tires that were never needed and gave up one of the most dominant wins with it as it propelled him back to 3rd and promoted Rosberg for the win that was never his. Sorry, I really don't. Also considering Rosberg was only quicker when the conditions changed and he was in a car with much better grip (as a result of aggressive driving to pass the Williams that lead to much higher tire temperatures). I agree Hamilton was lucky to come in the right time - but I don't believe in being masters of changeable conditions like Button is always hyped up to be - as there is no way to predict how the weather will turn out - you take a gamble, it either works out or it doesn't. Hamilton did, and it worked out. Changeable conditions is always a thing of luck to a degree. Worst case scenario; he would have came 2nd to Rosbergs first which would have been 7 points. How can his win and lead by another 7 points be considered any sort of equalizer from a race that lost him 17 points?
Okay, first of all, Hamilton at the start made an uncharacteristic mistake against Bottas at the restart if I remember correctly. Because the Mercedes is so much faster than anyone else, it masked his shortcomings that day. Secondly Phil, you're a very knowledgable poster and you know it's not a big deal for a driver of Hamilton's calibre to maintain a 20+ gap when the likes of Rosberg and Vettel were floundering around in the mid field and like you and I have discussed, his only threat in the dry conditions that day were the toothless Williams. Again, on pure pace without any weather randomness, Hamilton would have eaten them alive. The race was split wide open when the weather changed and I'm sorry but a driver of Hamilton's ability is expected to keep temperatures in the tires. If he couldn't adapt to that on that day and in that moment, then it's more to do with driver than luck.

Unlike you, I feel it requires enormous skill to drive in those slippery conditions. It also requires a lot of intelligence and along with Button, Alonso and Vettel I feel Hamilton too drives the best when it's most difficult. My point is that when he boxed on Lap 43 (I know this precisely because I've seen the race four times, liked it a lot), it was still dry. After he crossed the line having put inters, it started to pour. It was very different from another driver who boxed on lap 43, because when Hamilton boxed he was half a lap behind. When he fitted the tyres it was already raining. When Hamilton did, it wasn't. Had it not poured at that precise moment or say for another one minute, god knows where Hamilton would have ended up. It's for this reason I felt Rosberg was in that moment of the race stronger.

Changeable conditions do have an element of luck, but also a lot of skill and intelligence. While Hamilton on all counts is a better driver than Rosberg, at Silverstone Rosberg was better, just like Hamilton at Monaco.

Also, when I say that Hamilton hasn't had a flawless season, I'm simply comparing Hamilton to Hamilton and not Rosberg. Errors at Silverstone, Hungary and Spain (crossed the white line while exiting the pits but in effect took no penalty) would have been far more punishing against a closely contested field or a better team mate.

I'll also like to say that I stand corrected on the reliability front when comparing Hamilton and Rosberg. Hamilton had far many more issues last year.

To conclude, I respect your opinion greatly, but disagree on some fronts. :)

iotar__

WaikeCU wrote:Reports were in that Mercedes were testing the '2016' engine this weekend. So from what I understand is that either:
- Mercedes used all of its tokens on an engine upgrade which they branded '2016' and tested on Friday?
- Mercedes raced with unchanged engines from earlier in the season.
or
- Mercedes tested a totally new '2016' engine on Friday
- Mercedes raced with engines that were upgraded with all of the tokens.
I think that's impossible (physical changes and elements count) and when they say 2016 they don't mean it literally. They admitted it was risky, imagine that, but they love the results anyway who cares about Rosberg and pretended competition (Autosport):
"We brought that phase four engine because we wanted to understand if that direction of development was the right one," said Wolff. "It was a bit of a risky call and we saw what happened to Nico. "That was the result of that engine - the reliability runs were on quite a high mileage but they weren't finished yet."

"In hindsight, yes we lost a car and Nico lost valuable points, but this is a competitive championship, it's going to be one next year," Wolff said. "We don't know yet whether it is terminally damaged." "To make the point, it wasn't an engine failure we had, it was a leak in the cooling system which led the engine to fail."
Oh yeah, not an engine failure but engine failure. Was he channelling Ron Dennis?