Renault R31

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Renault R31

Lurk wrote:@imightbewrong : I did the same mistake on F150 until my brother said : "it's just the tie rod..." #-o :lol:
Ok, I see it on the F150 now.. my bad :P

manchild
manchild

TURU wrote:I'm sure it's just reflection :D
What makes it strange is that if it was just a reflection, how come it has a symmetrical shadow dropped on the floor?

BTW, these calipers seam unusual, as they seam to cover almost 50% of the disc.

Last edited by manchild on 31 Jan 2011, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

myurr
myurr

myurr wrote:What if that hole was an inlet and used in combination with what looks like exhaust ports in front of the side pods - the 3 holes. If the inlet was used in combination with the exhaust could it be used to control the air flow and get the exhaust to energise more air? Alternatively that inlet could be used to provide cooling air past the exhaust.
Also that 'exhaust' is a reflection - I think it's of the inside of the rear wheel, as you can see Petrov reflected above it.

If that was an exhaust I think you'd see it on this image:

Lukasss
Lukasss

TURU wrote:I'm sure it's just reflection :D
Well you are right, so I hope i'm not wrong but the exhaust pipe AIN'T THERE!

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-photos/66 ... 75/#168827 =P~

spaman

OK... Sorry for the confusion. Just saw those other pictures.

Florio
Florio

Maybe it's just part of the KERS recovery part?

Raptor22
Raptor22

I am struggling to understand why its hard to imagine exhausts exiting at the front of the side pod. Heating issues??!! Huh. Give me a break. Heat shielding can be applied under the side pod too on the stepped bottom. In fact it is perfectly feasible that the exhausts exit under the car from the vetical edge of the step and blow rear wards right into the diffusor inlet.

Consider what is defined as an opening and what is defined as a continuous surface. An exit joined to an exhaust is not an opening, it is a continuous surface since there the overlap of material.

no apply this thinking to a diffusor built to fit the ends of the exhaust pipe onto the diffusor so th exhaust end and the diffusor are one continuous surface.

There is going to be controversy but I am sure that there will be at least 4 teams with a similar interpretation of the rules

mith

I'm starting to wait for Petrov crashing this babe ;) It'd be good to see the underside of the car.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

manchild wrote:BTW, these calipers seam unusual, as they seam to cover almost 50% of the disc.

[img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5476/new14c.jpg[img]
The calipers are surrounded by cf molding, as per the usual brake system cover but just extended out that far. IMO.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

TURU
TURU

spaman wrote:OK... Sorry for the confusion. Just saw those other pictures.
Yeah, this livery looks almost as if it was designed to wreak confusion. :D

On a slightly different topic does anyone know how much did the Magneti Marelli KERS used by Renault weight in 2009? Apparently it's 10kg lighter now. http://www.confidential-renault.fr/KERS ... -ami-i1521

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

luca wrote:So apparently there's no rule that says there must be just two exhaust pipes. They only limit the number of exits.
It wouldn't be much of an exhaust if you could only connect it to two of your eight cylinders. 8)

Raptor22
Raptor22

:lol:

beat me to it

SLC
SLC

mx_tifosi wrote:
manchild wrote:
BTW, these calipers seam unusual, as they seam to cover almost 50% of the disc.

[img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5476/new14c.jpg[img]
The calipers are surrounded by cf molding, as per the usual brake system cover but just extended out that far. IMO.
They are coolings ducts which bring air from the drum plenum on the inboard side of the disc out and over the disc onto the outboard side of the caliper.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Right, lets stall the ball on this forward exhaust thing for a second folks and consider the effects of introducing the exhaust gases in various places pointed various directions.

If you point them forward through the dark patch of the splitter (not debating whether it is a hole or not, for the purposes of this discussion I assume it is) then; you are introducing two fluidic stagnation points (from each exhaust) upstream of the splitter and beneath the nose. The coefficient of pressure at a stagnation point is pretty high. (1) if that pressure is acting mostly on the underside of the nose of the car = upforce = not desireable, (2) if that pressure is acting mostly on the splitter plate = downforce = desireable. The drag effects of it would be no big deal on an open wheeled racing car, but you do not want too much hot exhaust air to be going back through your radiators, it would kill efficiency.

Another possibility is pointing the exhausts outboard at around the splitter location, in an attempt to better "seal" off the floor of the car; think fluidic sideskirts. That would also correlate with the re-introduction of the positive camber "wing" ahead of the sidepod at floor level. But you want that (exhaust) air to be very high energy to induce a strong longitudinal vortex down the side of the car.

There are reasons why they may look into implementing such exhaust layouts. Whether they actually have or not I do not know and am in no position to speculate.

Of course, if you do introduce exhaust gases so far upstream of your rear tyres, you need to be very careful the plume does not spread so much as to "boil" the tyres. That is not something that would be apparent in a windtunnel, and given the known limitations of 2 eqn turbulence models and jets, not something that I would feel comfortable relying solely on CFD for. But I'm quite sure Renault would have considered all that (if they did go with a weird location)...

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Why is the caliper not at the bottom? :?