British GP 2011 - Silverstone

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
alvinkhorfire
alvinkhorfire

Re: British GP 2011 - Silverstone

Kriss wrote:All about Silverston 2011 GP, :))

This car should the one belonged to Jose Froilan Gonzalez.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula ... 099870.stm
Alonso's victory came exactly 60 years after Ferrari recorded their first win in Britain thanks to a drive from Jose Froilan Gonzalez.

"The British Grand Prix is a special event for every driver competing in F1, we know the history of this race, a special grand prix and I had the privilege to drive the Froilan car that was the first Ferrari win in F1," said Alonso.

"Today we won in the same circuit with the same passion, the same group of people who work for this fantastic team.
I don't suppose that Alonso had received some luck charm from driving that car, indirectly contributing to his win at British GP. :wink: It was definitely very coincidental.

myurr
myurr

Caito wrote:And on Button, isn't the jack guy fault? The lolipop man releases the car but the guy with jack had lowered it first.

This is my opinion of how the sequence goes.

Car arrives, jack guys lift the car.

The gun man releases the nut, wheel goes out, wheel comes in, gunman tightens the wheel, he lift his hand. jack man checks two raised hands(each one on its axle), lowers the car. Car lowered lolipop man checks no one coming and releases the car.
Wheel gun man guy didn't raise his hand as far as I can remember. He was too busy throwing the gun away and reaching for the other one. The jack man dropped the car because he saw both wheels go on, lollipop man took that as a sign that all four wheels were on.

In the heat of the moment it's pretty silly to seek to blame someone, but if it has to be someone then it would either be the jack man (if he isn't supposed to drop the front of the car until both wheel gun guys say the wheels are on), or the lollipop man (if he's supposed to check all four wheel gun guys are giving the signal).

JMN
JMN

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

When interviewed by the pundits Gary Paffett stated the miscalculation of fuel was due lack of calibration time on friday due to the weather. I can't remember his exact words, but apparently they'd gone into fuel saving mode fairly early. Hard to say how "fairly early" compares to Alonso's re-pass of Hamilton on lap 25. Dunno, Jenson seemed to progress while Hamilton's pace seemed to drop off, hinting at a setup difference, but surely they'd put just about equal amounts of fuel in the two cars?

Miguel
Miguel

One of the things this GP did was showing how cars heated up their tyres. After the first pitstop, it was clear it took ferrari about 1-2 laps more than McLaren to warm up the tyres... and that McLaren was putting a tad too much heat into them.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

WhiteBlue wrote:Those are not the facts according to me. You are making up this BS and everybody here can see its not by me.

Those are the facts as I see them:

Fact1: Webber gets into accidents more than any other Red Bull driver
Of course, and it's not like Vettel has ever got himself involved in any accidents during his time at Red Bull :lol:

Fact2: Webber does not take team orders although they are now legal
Whether its legal or illegal is not really relevant. When they were "illegal" from 2003-2010 they were still widely practiced and never punished.
Fact3: Webber is 80 points behind Vettel by his own making and three points less make no substantial difference justifying the risk of another crash. He is extremely unlikely to win the 2011 championship according to the vast majority of the fans and pundits
3 points would make a difference between him getting 2nd or 3rd/4th/5th in the championship.
Fact4: The second half of the season can still see a return of Ferrari, although I would hate to see it. So the team management at Red Bull have a valid reason to play it safe.
So Webber is extremely unlikely to win the championship despite having a better car and more points than Alonso, whilst Alonso could still realistically win it despite not having the best car and being further behind than Webber? :?

Red Bull have no valid reason for it - Vettel has this title sewn up. If Horner was so certain they wolud crash, then it shows a complete lack of faith in his drivers' abilities.

sAx
sAx

SiLo wrote:It was a shame that they miscalculated the fuel levels, I think Hamilton could of held on to second if he wasn't in a fuel saving mode for so long and could really push on. The car actually looked pretty good tbh, just awful in qualifying for some reason.
Surely weight 'miscalculation' was what gave Lewis an advantage in the early part of the race (i.e. running lighter), no? Then as his progress was far better than 'Mission Control' had anticipated, into fuel saving mode as his pace could not be sustained against the rate of burn.

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Richard
Richard

I can't believe the lack of dry practice led to a miscalculation. They have data from running on the same track last year. They have data from other tracks from previous races to know how this year's car uses fuel to last years car. So there should be no excuse for getting the fuel wrong.

I this error, plus Buttons pit stop, a sign of a lack of confidence leading to momentary doubt, and hence hesitation over decision making.

Richard
Richard

It was an impressive race due to the changeable conditions and I'm starting to like the new track. Di Resta and Perez are doing very well, nice to see new drivers have an impact.

As for technical matters, the tyres and DRS gave us some good racing moves, so thank you Charlie Whiting & Pirelli.

White Blue, Gerhard Berger, Ray, djos ... wrote: petty quibble

#-o

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

richard_leeds wrote:It was an impressive race due to the changeable conditions and I'm starting to like the new track. Di Resta and Perez are doing very well, nice to see new drivers have an impact.

As for technical matters, the tyres and DRS gave us some good racing moves, so thank you Charlie Whiting & Pirelli.
I wasn't too keen on the layout last year, but must admit this year with the relocated pit complex it seemed to work really well. I think I will always miss the bridge corner, that was the biggest loss from the new layout, but I wouldn't trade the new pit complex to get it back.

raymondu999

Gerhard Berger wrote:So Webber is extremely unlikely to win the championship despite having a better car and more points than Alonso, whilst Alonso could still realistically win it despite not having the best car and being further behind than Webber? :?
To be fair, on Sunday it looked to me in the race as if the Ferrari was an extremely good racecar. It reminded me of the RB5 in Silverstone and Suzuka 2009 where it utterly dominated, pulling out a second a lap over anyone and everyone else. I'm not saying over the season the F150 would be the better car, just saying that it looked to me that on Silverstone Sunday the F150 was a much better car.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:I can't believe the lack of dry practice led to a miscalculation. They have data from running on the same track last year. They have data from other tracks from previous races to know how this year's car uses fuel to last years car. So there should be no excuse for getting the fuel wrong.

I this error, plus Buttons pit stop, a sign of a lack of confidence leading to momentary doubt, and hence hesitation over decision making.
What they didn't have data for was well setup the car was. The assertion was that they had much better race pace than they expected, the result of that was that they were getting higher top speeds at more points on the track, and the result of that was that they were burning more fuel than they expected.

Even if you have data for how much fuel a lap costs at a certain speed, you still need to calibrate that against "how fast can we actually lap". Not forgetting that this year's car will have different characteristics to last year's.

Richard
Richard

I agree with your points, but this isn't a new car at a new circuit. They have enough data from running this year's car at other circuits, plus enough data for this circuit to feed into their race simulators.

I suspect human error, either a bit of doubt/hesitation in decision making or perhaps they trying too hard. Decide in haste and repent at leisure is an emerging theme for McLaren in 2011.

aral
aral

Caito wrote:
And on Button, isn't the jack guy fault? The lolipop man releases the car but the guy with jack had lowered it first.

This is my opinion of how the sequence goes.

Car arrives, jack guys lift the car.

The gun man releases the nut, wheel goes out, wheel comes in, gunman tightens the wheel, he lift his hand. jack man checks two raised hands(each one on its axle), lowers the car. Car lowered lolipop man checks no one coming and releases the car.
The problem was that the nut fell out of the wheel gun. The wheelman turned to pick up a spare nut, and the lollipop man took this as being that the wheel was secured. There was NEVER a nut on the wheel.

Boost
Boost

sAx wrote:
SiLo wrote:It was a shame that they miscalculated the fuel levels, I think Hamilton could of held on to second if he wasn't in a fuel saving mode for so long and could really push on. The car actually looked pretty good tbh, just awful in qualifying for some reason.
Surely weight 'miscalculation' was what gave Lewis an advantage in the early part of the race (i.e. running lighter), no? Then as his progress was far better than 'Mission Control' had anticipated, into fuel saving mode as his pace could not be sustained against the rate of burn.

sAx
Lewis's gain in position came from some excellent driving during the first lap and then a setup which allowed him to go quicker than the Fezzas during the damp early stages.

Hangaku

What I found impressive about the whole affair, was that;

a) Massa was faster than Hamilton, by a MARGIN
b) Hamilton made it incredibly hard for Vettel to pass him on the track
c) Vettel overtook Massa like he was standing still
d) Hamilton made it incredibly hard for Massa to pass him on the track

It's not just overtaking that makes you a great driver, it's also about making yourself un-overtakable.

That was horrendous use of English. I'm sorry.
Yer.