2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Seanspeed wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:05
ferkan wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:48
I dont get it, if the floor is updated as well what did anyone expect?
Well so far the floor looks the same.

And it's seriously wild that we've spent the past couple months all talking about the huge B-spec/2.0 version coming, and now that it doesn't turn out to be the case, most people are suggesting that this was always some unrealistic expectation?

Maybe people have a very different idea of what B-spec means or something?

By no means am I claiming this is a disaster and of course I know nothing of what the performance will be, but surely y'all cant just gaslight everybody into pretending people weren't expecting something at least a bit more visually significant than this?
This forum exists for this very reason, for people to discuss the changes. Completely fair to say the visual changes were lesser than expected.

It just gets a lot more pretend voodoo when people start attaching performance numbers to this.

Just last year, we saw how a floor update in Suzuka, with no major visible bodywork changes, led to Leclerc feeling a lot more confident and take multiple pole positions (and almost a win) on merit.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Sphere3758 wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:10
Seanspeed wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:05
ferkan wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:48
I dont get it, if the floor is updated as well what did anyone expect?
Well so far the floor looks the same.

And it's seriously wild that we've spent the past couple months all talking about the huge B-spec/2.0 version coming, and now that it doesn't turn out to be the case, most people are suggesting that this was always some unrealistic expectation?

Maybe people have a very different idea of what B-spec means or something?

By no means am I claiming this is a disaster and of course I know nothing of what the performance will be, but surely y'all cant just gaslight everybody into pretending people weren't expecting something at least a bit more visually significant than this?
This forum exists for this very reason, for people to discuss the changes. Completely fair to say the visual changes were lesser than expected.

It just gets a lot more pretend voodoo when people start attaching performance numbers to this.

Just last year, we saw how a floor update in Suzuka, with no major visible bodywork changes, led to Leclerc feeling a lot more confident and take multiple pole positions (and almost a win) on merit.
One person said anything about performance numbers. We dont need to overexaggerate the extent to which that is happening here.

Xwang
Xwang

Italian press says that upper part of sidepods have been changed too and that the canyons are not there anymore ... Is it true?

bananapeel23

Xwang wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:22
Italian press says that upper part of sidepods have been changed too and that the canyons are not there anymore ... Is it true?
Partially. It appears like the cannons are still there, but a substantial outlet around the midpoint of the engine cover has been added as well. I haven't seen a great rear shot of the new spec though, so it's hard to tell exactly what is going on.

It does appear like the gills have been removed entirely though, or at least for the track conditions at Fiorano, and thus likely at Imola as well.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

We really need more photos to declare whether we could count this as true B-spec or not. We haven't seen the top of the sidepods, nor have we seen the closeup shots from the rear and the beam wing.

Emag
Emag

Xwang wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:22
Couldn't see from pictures posted already, but I am not sure what they mean by that. Teams that had deep gulleys all slowly got rid of them in favor of a flatter top with only some downwash being kept at the end at the coke bottle area.

RedBull and Ferrari started the season with something like that, whereas Aston and McLaren made theirs much shorter through upgrades (McLaren's actually got substantially shorter).

So I don't know what Ferrari could have flattened more on top.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:31
We really need more photos to declare whether we could count this as true B-spec or not. We haven't seen the top of the sidepods, nor have we seen the closeup shots from the rear and the beam wing.
This is a proper B-spec car. It is significantly different in its design.

New rear wing.
Completely new side pod inlets (P-shape like Alpine ad overbite like Red Bull).
Completely new opening in the middle of the engine cover for cooling exit.
The ears next to the Halo
Not-photographed, but new underfloor as reported.

and those are just the obvious changes.

This is significant. I read all the post in here before reviewing the photos fully and I have to say I don't know what people are complaining about? It's a visually significant change. They talk about change in millimeters in F1. This car has completely different shapes from the middle of the car and back in F1 terms.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

AR3-GP wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:36
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

New rear wing.

This is significant. I read all the post in here before reviewing the photos fully and I have to say I don't know what people are complaining about? It's a visually significant change. They talk about change in millimeters in F1. This car has completely different shapes starts from the sidepod inlets both on the upper and lower surfaces.
Oh, I agree that this is a significant change based on what we've seen already. It's just that for those unconvinced I'd suggest to wait until we have all the angles.

Cs98
Cs98

Timtim99 wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:53
Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:59
Put it this way, what we've seen is not worth 3-4 tenths, probably not even worth 2 tenths. Yet to see the floor obviously, that will be the key.
If you know this without seeing the data today, you need to be in a formula 1 team.
Just guesstimating based on how much time successful packages from other teams have brought, based on the scale of the changes. McLaren's 4 tenths package was more substantial than this, and RB's 1-1,5 tenth package at Suzuka was slightly smaller than the changes we have seen so far (without the expected floor). So I'd expect Ferrari to land somewhere in the middle. Could of course be different, maybe a visually small change generates a big benefit, or the package could be a let down. But my expectation is 2-3 tenths based on the visuals.

ferkan
ferkan

AR3-GP wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

New rear wing.

This is significant. I read all the post in here before reviewing the photos fully and I have to say I don't know what people are complaining about? It's a visually significant change. They talk about change in millimeters in F1. This car has completely different shapes from the middle of the car and back in F1 terms.
I agree, I expected less. Its basically Mclaren type of upgrade, I suspect RB will bring smaller one (however they already brought parts in Suzuka)

bananapeel23

AR3-GP wrote:
CouncilorIrissa wrote:

New rear wing.

I'm pretty sure the entire sidepod geometry has been significantly changed as well. They have done some work on the sculpting, especially in the undercut region from what I've seen.

dialtone
dialtone

This is like groundhog day… is this 2024 pre season testing? When Ferrari was too conservative and made no progress in the winter?

bluechris

I don't know what you guys say but except the wings, i see a new car on the track today, changed everywhere. It's v3.0 for me, not v2.0 so i am optimistic.
I just pray for the correlation to be perfect and we will hear the Maranelo Bell's again soon :)

LM10
LM10

Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 17:47
Timtim99 wrote:
10 May 2024, 16:53
Cs98 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:59
Put it this way, what we've seen is not worth 3-4 tenths, probably not even worth 2 tenths. Yet to see the floor obviously, that will be the key.
If you know this without seeing the data today, you need to be in a formula 1 team.
Just guesstimating based on how much time successful packages from other teams have brought, based on the scale of the changes. McLaren's 4 tenths package was more substantial than this, and RB's 1-1,5 tenth package at Suzuka was slightly smaller than the changes we have seen so far (without the expected floor). So I'd expect Ferrari to land somewhere in the middle. Could of course be different, maybe a visually small change generates a big benefit, or the package could be a let down. But my expectation is 2-3 tenths based on the visuals.
The floor generates like what, 80% of the overall downforce? There’s absolutely no way to predict any gains by simply looking at the changes on the outside.

Having said that, the visual upgrades are significant in my opinion. The inlet was never going to turn into a letterbox inlet given the completely different cooling layout of the Ferrari compared to others. Overbite combined with a P-shaped inlet making use of the already existing S-duct is as much as can be expected for a in-season upgrade package.

dia6olo
dia6olo

I don't know if the new floor was used.
However, thinking about it, If you change the floor along with the body shell, surely it becomes a lot more complicated to workout what impact the two individual parts are having.
Surely it makes a lot more sense to try the bodywork update on its own without adding the floor so it becomes an easier measure.

I know it's not as simple as that as in today's F1 cars the various parts rely on each other, but with the floor I think it's separate enough from the shell to make sense to measure the new shell without adding the unknown from the new floor :?:
Last edited by dia6olo on 10 May 2024, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.