Alonso's Crash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RicME85

Re: Alonso's Crash

Fernando Alonso 'woke up in 1995' after F1 crash, having forgotten the past 20 years of his life

Fernando Alonso “woke up in 1995” after his crash during pre-season testing, having forgotten the past 20 years of his life, according to reports in Spain.

The former world champion has already been ruled out of the first Grand Prix of the new season in Australia on doctors' orders after spending nearly a week in hospital, and despite being seemingly back to full health, alarming reports are filtering through about Alonso's confusion when he regained consciousness.

Spanish daily El País has reported that while in a Barcelona hospital after the crash, the Asturias-born driver was asked who he was, what he did for a living and what he wanted to be in the future.

The two-time world champ reportedly replied: "I'm Fernando, I drive go karts and I want to be a Formula 1 driver."

In 1995 Alonso would have been 13 and attending the Holy Guardian Angel school in his hometown of Oviedo. Alonso's father José Luis was an amateur kart racer and had built a kart for Fernando when he was just three years old.

The 33-year-old could not reportedly remember his 2001 debut in Formula 1 with Minardi, his two world championship titles with Renault nor the four European Cups won by his beloved Real Madrid during the period.

A McLaren spokesman refused to comment on Thursday and said answers about his medical condition would have to come from doctors.

“The day after the accident, we issued a press release, the chief purpose of which was urgently to correct a series of erroneous media reports to the effect that Fernando’s accident had been caused by a variety of car-related issues,” said the spokesman.

“As regards answering ongoing questions as to Fernando’s medical situation, McLaren will not and indeed should not take the lead, since his medical care is being handled by the people best equipped for that task, namely his doctors.

“So all we can say is that he is making good progress, and that we hope and expect he will soon be back to his brilliant best.

“We understand the media’s thirst for further information, but, as I say, the remaining unanswered questions will be answered by doctors, not by Formula 1 personnel.”

mertol

timbo wrote:There is a rumor that teams now press for McLaren and FIA for disclosure of info on the crash.
I wonder why McLaren would not release telemetry traces. This may be a coverup but OTOH McLaren may simply protect the info on their car performance.
How much do you think can other teams learn about car performance from that?
It does seem that McLaren is touchy on releasing their telemetry (remember Belgium 2012) while other teams sometime allow some info (Mercedes in Monaco few years ago, Ferrari in Hungary last year).
Depends on what part of the parameters gets released. If they give us just driver inputs and speed of the car only for this turn I don't think it would reveal anything about their performance.

Twaddle
Twaddle

I was looking to see if there was anything available on the importance of rate of change in accelleration as opposed to peak or sustained accelleration in relation to brain injuries and turned up this paper. I haven't had chance to read it yet, so I'm not sure how well it addresses that issue, but from the abstract it sounded like it should be both interesting and relevant in any case.

http://snellfoundation.net/docs/article ... I_2003.pdf

cherok1212

For those hoping for Fred to go to Oz and show support for the team, Marca says it ain't happening.
If consistently being 7/10ths faster than you is a "mind game", then yes Jenson, Lewis was playing "games" with you.

cherok1212

If Alonso is fully cognizant what answer does he give when asked "what do you want to be in the future?" A Wizard? Hard to believe a doctor used that question to check for a concussion. My answer would've been F1 driver also :wink:
If consistently being 7/10ths faster than you is a "mind game", then yes Jenson, Lewis was playing "games" with you.

Mesteño

So, the according to official F1 web MGUK is right in the back of the driver in the Honda PU, and they were having issues with it until Alonso's accident where he (according to rumours) said he had some pain in his spine.

mertol

It's on the back of the tank.

Mesteño

mertol wrote:It's on the back of the tank.
I see. Anyway, more critical position and less distance to his spine. I'm posting the article:

http://blogs.20minutos.es/formula-1-alo ... a-espalda/

turbof1

Oh dear...

Are we going to infer in a moment that the mgu-k shot right through the fuel tank into the monocoque into Alonso's spine, both breaking and shocking it?

It was a side-impact. The forces went sideways. If the mgu-k moved, it was not into the direction of Alonso.
#AeroFrodo

Mesteño

Yeah, thats how conductivity works.

lebesset
lebesset

his blood tests would have revealed if he had suffered an electric shock
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

SectorOne

lebesset wrote:his blood tests would have revealed if he had suffered an electric shock
How? What happens to the blood after a strong electric shock?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Thunder

I read somewhere (i think it was the AMuS Article) that Ron Dennis said you can test the Blood and certain Enzymes (sorry don't know the right English word) would tell you if the Person had an electric Shock. The results in Fernandos Case were negative.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

lebesset
lebesset

Thunders wrote:I read somewhere (i think it was the AMuS Article) that Ron Dennis said you can test the Blood and certain Enzymes (sorry don't know the right English word) would tell you if the Person had an electric Shock.
same word in english
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

GPR-A duplicate2

Interesting development, if true....

TEAMS COULD BOYCOTT MELBOURNE OVER ALONSO CRASH