Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

Re: Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

WilliamsF1 wrote:
timbo wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Flat out corners where if the driver if understeers, there is only little grass between the road and barrier.
Now you're talking. Do you think there's need to add run-off?
No just put a SAFAR barrier at those 4 bends 8) and lets go racing
Only four? And with a track this narrow, a crash would most probably result in red flag because of debris.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

How narrow is Suzuka and how close are the barriers there, very simmilar to how close the barriers are at the Nordshelife.

timbo
timbo

ESPImperium wrote:How narrow is Suzuka and how close are the barriers there, very simmilar to how close the barriers are at the Nordshelife.
Only ses and Degner2 are comparable. There's quite a big runoff for 130R and first corner. A decent runoff for Degner1.
Also, the track is much shorter and easier for safety operations.

beelsebob
beelsebob

timbo wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:How narrow is Suzuka and how close are the barriers there, very simmilar to how close the barriers are at the Nordshelife.
Only ses and Degner2 are comparable. There's quite a big runoff for 130R and first corner. A decent runoff for Degner1.
Also, the track is much shorter and easier for safety operations.
Also, even though it's so tiny, there were several comments about recovery being extremely difficult at Suzuka over the weekend.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

How many of you guys have driven or ridden at the Nordschleife?

I've done both..it is never going to host F1. It is run down, dangerous and the ongoing financial troubles of the Nurburgring company that built the hotels/theme parks where no-one stays is in big trouble.

The track could even close to the public yet...let alone afford to improve medical facilities, run-off, bumps and overall tarmac quality.

We can all dream..it would be awesome..but there would be more chance of a GP around my local streets..or yours!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ CMSMJ1 I have, and as I posted... it needs new tarmac throughout.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

CMSMJ1 wrote:How many of you guys have driven or ridden at the Nordschleife?

I've done both..it is never going to host F1. It is run down, dangerous and the ongoing financial troubles of the Nurburgring company that built the hotels/theme parks where no-one stays is in big trouble.

The track could even close to the public yet...let alone afford to improve medical facilities, run-off, bumps and overall tarmac quality.

We can all dream..it would be awesome..but there would be more chance of a GP around my local streets..or yours!
I have done some 100+ laps there and can underwrite this without hesitation.

Mandrake
Mandrake

Driven there several times. I do feel very safe with the barriers close to the track. Much safer than at places like Metzgesfeld where you take the left hander at very high speeds.
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ CMSMJ1 I have, and as I posted... it needs new tarmac throughout.
When have you been there? I've done 48 Laps this year and it's perfectly fine.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

August 08 in my old Honda S2000.

The main straights are fine, but I dont think flugplatz is acceptable in a 200mph car set up with a few mm suspension travel.

Can you also imagine fuchsrohre/Adenaur Forst at race speed? Hmm I dont think manty drivers in F1 can....
I dread to thing what they would make of the jump and the Carousel / schwalbensSchwanz....

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k61 ... ifesvg.png

To look at this in perspective, Heidfeld was travelling with a raised suspension setting, and was driving like miss daisy.
In my S2000 it felt ok, but then it would as it has production car suspension.

Im not trying to be condescending as you have done far more laps than me...What car did you drive if I may ask???

If you want to see how manic it can be, check this video out:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtyZosuPNE[/youtube]

Im of the opinion an F1 car would struggle on this surface, just my view. The bumps that radical was taking flat out may not be taken so easily in an F1 car....
More could have been done.
David Purley

Giblet
Giblet

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

marcush.
marcush.

that lap of Heidfeld was sooo slow he just coasted through all the key areas ...

beelsebob
beelsebob

marcush. wrote:that lap of Heidfeld was sooo slow he just coasted through all the key areas ...
Yep, it wasn't even one lap – it was a cut together bunch of press video.

Billzilla
Billzilla

I did the 24 Hour race there in 2007, driving unofficially-officially for Toyota Australia.
http://www.billzilla.org/nurburgring.htm

I reckon just ask the teams and drivers if they want to run a single race there, and accept that there will be some parts of the track where if they have an accident it'll be longer than normal to get a safety crew there.
I'd say that 100% of them will say they'd love to run there.

There's a few bits of the track which aren't F1- friendly, such as the Flugplatz, etc, but maybe a quick chicane added before them to slow the cars would do the trick. The Karussell isn't a problem, they can just go around the upper bitumen section which is quite smooth.

Webber2011
Webber2011

WilliamsF1 wrote:
When street circuits such as Singapore are being sanctioned why cannot Nordschleife, Mount Panorama, Imola etc. ?
A F1 race at Bathurst.
My dream come true :)

I had an access all areas for the Lowndes and Button swap back in march, and got to talk to Craig for a few minutes afterwards.
He reckons the biggest problem wasn't the run off areas or anything like that, it was more to do with the track surface, i.e. how bumpy it was and the crown of the road dragging him left or right at high speed.
He seriously had to try to lift his bum out of the seat due to the battering his back was taking, and he only did 4 laps :shock:
I was very close to Jenson when he stepped out of the car as well and he said the same.

The Mount Panorama circuit is very well maintained, and by V8 standards the surface is quite smooth.

I can only imagine how tough it would be to drive a modern F1 car at the Nordschleife.

It would most likely need a resurfacing at the least.
Let alone all the cost involved with safety etc.

As much as we'd all love to see it, I doubt it would ever be possible :(

FW17

Webber2011 wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:
When street circuits such as Singapore are being sanctioned why cannot Nordschleife, Mount Panorama, Imola etc. ?
A F1 race at Bathurst.
My dream come true :)

I had an access all areas for the Lowndes and Button swap back in march, and got to talk to Craig for a few minutes afterwards.
He reckons the biggest problem wasn't the run off areas or anything like that, it was more to do with the track surface, i.e. how bumpy it was and the crown of the road dragging him left or right at high speed.
He seriously had to try to lift his bum out of the seat due to the battering his back was taking, and he only did 4 laps :shock:
I was very close to Jenson when he stepped out of the car as well and he said the same.

The Mount Panorama circuit is very well maintained, and by V8 standards the surface is quite smooth.

I can only imagine how tough it would be to drive a modern F1 car at the Nordschleife.

It would most likely need a resurfacing at the least.
Let alone all the cost involved with safety etc.

As much as we'd all love to see it, I doubt it would ever be possible :(
A new surface at mount panorama will be cheaper than what is spent on Albert Park every year in converting the park to a GP circuit