Silly Season 2012/2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Re: Silly Season 2012/2013

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... rrari-move
F1's 'silly season' has started in earnest with a fresh wave of speculation in the Monaco paddock claiming that Sebastian Vettel has signed a pre-contract agreement with Ferrari.

Hot on the heels of the fevered talk on Thursday night that McLaren were poised to offer Lewis Hamilton a deal which, with bonuses included, would make him the highest-paid driver in the sport, speculation is rife that reigning World Champion Vettel has committed to leaving Red Bull for Ferrari if the Italian team can maintain competiveness.

'Insiders are adamant that the German has signed an option with Ferrari for 2014, subject to competitive form from the Prancing Horse stable for the rest of 2012,' reports The Independent on Sunday.

The claims are also repeated in The Sunday Times, with the newspaper proceeding to suggest that any such agreement would likely result in Vettel's current team-mate, Mark Webber, also leaving Red Bull for Ferrari, albeit a year in advance and for just a single season.

'With Fernando Alonso's Ferrari contract running until 2016, there would appear to be a Ferrari vacancy for only one year, should it choose to replace Felipe Massa. It is not known whether the Vettel option is binding on either side, but if there is a one-year Ferrari vacancy for 2013, it strengthens the case for Webber being the man to fill it,' declares the broadsheet. 'Thirty-six years old in August, the Australian realises the end of his F1 career is approaching - and a final year at the most iconic team alongside his friend Alonso would conclude an illustrious career'.

The speculation - and indeed any truth the reports may contain - could also have a dramatic bearing on the future of Hamilton, whose current contract with McLaren expires at the end of this season.

Although it is still expected that Hamilton will stay with the team that he has driven for throughout his motor-racing career, The Independent notes that, were Webber to join Alonso at Ferrari, it would 'open the way for Hamilton to jump into the Adrian Newey-designed car that he is said to crave.'

Darknight
Darknight

I see a lot of potential in the Mercedes AMG team. I sense an opening at the end of the year with the departure of MSC. Surely this seat would attract a top driver. Who could it be?

ced381

Di Resta? Sutil maybe? Massa if Ferrari ditch him?
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

nacho
nacho

Now that Schumacher had tasted being on top again I don't think he will be going anywhere.

Red Schneider
Red Schneider

Exactly. He would have to be high on crack to leave now. He's just getting his teeth into it.

I predict he will get very very close to 100 career wins - and probably finish top 3 in at least one championship - before he quits. It will take some luck to win an 8th title but it could happen. If his performance keeps improving I would not be shocked at all if he signs another 3 year deal.

Mafia

Red Schneider wrote:Exactly. He would have to be high on crack to leave now. He's just getting his teeth into it.

I predict he will get very very close to 100 career wins - and probably finish top 3 in at least one championship - before he quits. It will take some luck to win an 8th title but it could happen. If his performance keeps improving I would not be shocked at all if he signs another 3 year deal.
Knowing schumacher, he WILL leave but only on a high, may be after winning a race or two this year, just to prove he is as good as the other drivers today.
Fuel Minimum, Engine power Maximum, Comittement Off the scane

FrukostScones

quotes from Massa: "Sometimes I have the feeling, that I fight against everyone." ... "My future is the next race." "I have no fear."
the Article states that Massa is already history for Ferrari. MAybe in the summer, but definitely after the season he will be fired.

"Williams fears Ferrari." Nicholas Todt manages Maldonado, Williams thinks that he could take away Pastor to Ferrari (after the dismissing of Massa(NT is his manager), Ferrari would hire the NT protege to please Jean Todt(sic) !

Interview with Hamilton ABMS: ...(Hamilton praises Alonso), next question:
ABMS:So you two at Ferrari would be a dream-duo? HAM: ... Steve Cooper(MCL-PR): Now you have had enough questions about Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari. ABMS: So we are not allowed to ask the questions our readers want to have answered regarding LH? Steve Cooper: No questions anymore regarding this topic. ABMS: quits the interview, LH: seems to be embarrassed, apologises with a pat on the shoulder and leaves.

source AutoBildMotorsport (German). Credible: Interview with HAM yes, article regarding Massa and Pastor 50/50 to rubbish inmho.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

bhall
bhall

I'd say the assumption that Maldonado is on Ferrari's radar is entirely the result of a journalist's overzealous imagination. F1 "insiders" always seem put the latest flavor of the moment in a Ferrari seat at some point or another.

raceman

bhallg2k wrote:F1 "insiders" always seem put the latest flavor of the moment in a Ferrari seat at some point or another.
+1

Exactly.

dan
dan

if perez goes to ferrari next year
why not alguersari to sauber?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

"Ferrari will need eight cars next year to fit all the drivers who are going to replace Felipe."
Mark Webber said that to a Brazilian newspaper. :lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

astracrazy
astracrazy

Posted this in the Mclaren team topic, but think it had some relevance here as its to do with Hamilton contract talks
just seen interview with Hamilton on Sky. Interesting comment regarding his contract and Ron Dennis' comments in Canada

"I'm in a good position at the moment, Ron loves to put him self in a tactical position and so often doesn't say the smartest of things"

Can anything be read into that?

Morteza

mx_tifoso wrote:
"Ferrari will need eight cars next year to fit all the drivers who are going to replace Felipe."
Mark Webber said that to a Brazilian newspaper. :lol:
:lol: Webber can be funnier than Seb sometimes =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

astracrazy
astracrazy

I see reports now that Lewis is going to demand he keeps the trophies he wins (mclaren have always kept the real and given drivers replica's). I see his point but Its a bold move considering past drivers at Mclaren (who were more successful at the moment) didn't get the above.

To me what with the money talk in Canada and now this, perhaps Lewis (or his management team) are trying to play Mclaren out of the game? Making demands they know Mclaren can't/won't match as a reason for going elsewhere?

FrukostScones

astracrazy wrote:I see reports now that Lewis is going to demand he keeps the trophies he wins (mclaren have always kept the real and given drivers replica's). I see his point but Its a bold move considering past drivers at Mclaren (who were more successful at the moment) didn't get the above.

To me what with the money talk in Canada and now this, perhaps Lewis (or his management team) are trying to play Mclaren out of the game? Making demands they know Mclaren can't/won't match as a reason for going elsewhere?
If Lewis leaves McLaren (highly unllikley for me) than Heikki Kovalainen to McLaren and Sutil to Caterham?
Who could pay Hamilton? Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren... Mercedes maybe? apparently they drown MSC in money, so maybe yes!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.