Illegally flexing rear wings

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

It certainly is possible if only the winglet is doing the flexing(most of it), as the center part of the wingler being loaded it bends down, since it does not change its own length it pulls the dowel out of the nose cone....

Spencifer_Murphy

Yeah that right.

In fact that movement is what I noticed on ITV's qualifying coverage. I was watching it with my gf when I saw it and before I could say "er...did you see that?" she already said "Spence, why is that part moving away from the nose" to which I could only say "er....I dunno!" :? :oops:

I didnt think about it being a moveable aerodevice though. Until i saw the news about the protest.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

Sawtooth-spike

the plot thickens

http://www.f1technical.net/news/2260
(thanks Principessa)
So the rear wing is being sorted out but there is nothing on the dodgy Front wing?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Principessa

No problem Sawtooth :P . It's my job to keep you informed :wink:

I already knew that McLaren was one of the other teams who had illegal wing themselfs, but in Malaysia rumours were spread that he other team was Renault. Well now that it appears not to be Renault and Ferrari and McLaren have to adjust their wing, there might be an even bigger difference between Renault and the field. :wink:

zac510
zac510

Scuderia_Russ wrote:McLaren wings are also under investigation but because they are not Ferrari no-one is bothered.
Yeah Montoya's wing was definitely flexing at Malaysia.

allan
allan

fry said there were two other teams using the same tech.
so +Ferrari and Mclaren, it's either Renault or WILLIAMS.
btw, i noticed that renault went back to the old design of the rear wing which was introduced on the R-26 in the early winter tests...
that wing was broken a couple of times, so :idea:

Sawtooth-spike

Principessa wrote: there might be an even bigger difference between Renault and the field. :wink:
and honda They dont seem to have a flexy wing.

BMW are not getting a lot out of there Flexy wing. its still put them just behind redbull.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

tetopelis
tetopelis

just curious, what kinda changes can a team do to thier wing to erradicate the flexing but not hit too much on the performance>?
reconfigure the resin composition of the wings?
" If you want to win, get a Finn" - Hakkinen

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Is it a right term to call these "illegal" though? As even with the Ferrari's rear wing, FIA even re-test them and declared them legal, that is legal within the letter of the rule(which is the best kind of "legalness"...;) ). But perhaps not with the sprit of the rule. But then thats how this game should be played anyway isn't it? Its now rule maker's turn to change the regs so reducing the window in which the team can play with....

Scuderia_Russ

RacingManiac wrote:Is it a right term to call these "illegal" though?
No!

Spencifer_Murphy

One could say that its is a "Bending of the Rules" :lol:

Sorry that was very cheesy :oops:
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

peroa
peroa

McLaren must only change the mounting of this wing.
They will mount it more firm to the engine cover.
Easy on the Appletini!

Principessa

BMW has already changed the thing on their wing. It was only little thing that needed to be changed. McLaren is working on it and Ferrari has the most work I understand from everything I've read about it.

zac510
zac510

Flexible wings for flexible rules :)

peroa, I disagree as I certainly saw the upper element of the front wing moving on Montoya's car. If I hadn't just deleted the race 5 minutes ago I'd capture it!! d'oh.

Principessa

There Front wing they are not changing yet. I read somewhere that Todt is refusing because the FIA hasn't asked them officially to do it. I only read that somewhere don't know if it's true.