Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
carisi2k

Re: Toro Rosso STR13 Honda

theriusDR3 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 06:26
so how about the fuel supplier of TORO ROSSO? Repsol?
Mobil 1 / esso

designf1
designf1

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

Morteza wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 14:30
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXCr2_3X0AExXF1.jpg

Via @F1debrief
Clearly the main area they need to work on.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

Franz, it is unusually cold in Barcelona. Why is it so difficult to obtain usable data under such conditions?
First of all, I would like to say that it is a completely wrong decision to test in Europe in February and March. Because these test drives are basically pointless. Even in good weather. Why are they meaningless? Because it is very difficult to bring the tires up to temperature and get a valid statement on the driving behavior of the race car. For years, I've been working to test in Bahrain or Abu Dhabi, but unfortunately there are very few who share the same opinion. Maybe they change their mind now that it's snowing here, we do not come to drive and valuable test time is lost.

The biggest problem is the tires. You just do not bring the rollers to temperature. One has to imagine it this way: If a tire temperature of at least 100 degrees is not reached, then the tire does not build up any liability. If you do not have grip, the car will slip. Driving fast is unthinkable. But testing is actually about understanding the tire's behavior better, using the rollers ideally, working on the tuning, which is absolutely impossible with conditions like today. Imagine a chocolate that you put on a glass, which is turned 70 degrees. If the chocolate is cold, it slips to the floor. If she is warm, then she only slips on very slowly. It's the same with the tires.

Honda has earned a reputation over the last three years for building engines that are unreliable and have too little power. Then Brendon Hartley drives 93 laps here on the first day and keeps up easily. What happened?
Honda was not as bad as it was presented last year. In addition, Honda has worked very hard over the winter months - both in terms of durability and in terms of performance. We see the progress. We could easily have done more than these 93 laps. Without problems. In terms of power, we are very satisfied with the unit. I know Honda, I did not expect anything else from the Japanese. If Honda kicks properly, it's only a matter of time before the results come.

You have been a customer of various engine manufacturers for years, now you are an exclusive partner of Honda. What changed that at Toro Rosso?
That has brought enormous benefits. It starts with the design of the vehicle. Here, our technicians have a good influence on how, for example, an oil tank is placed on the front of the power unit or where the various lines that need to be routed or what the exhaust system should look like. You can work out great advantages in terms of space in the chassis, in the weight distribution, in the aerodynamics. These are significant benefits.

In addition, we are involved in the entire test bench trials, which means our technicians have a direct influence on changes in engine tuning. I can remember a scene two weeks ago when our guys came back from Honda, from a bench test, they told me enthusiastically - they could have done more in one afternoon on engine mapping than in ten years before that. Even during the test on the test bench fine work is done. That's huge.

You spent a year with Ralf Schumacher in Japan. How important is the understanding of Japanese culture for working with Honda?
Let's put it this way - it's always important to understand business partners. No matter what culture they have. But it is true that the Japanese culture differs significantly from the European, if we look at the whole behavior and communication. It was certainly an advantage that I know Japan quite well and the culture there. I like Japan because I like the country and its people.

I then initiated that seminars are held in-house with us. I find it important that technicians who work with Japanese engineers understand their patterns of behavior, can interpret reactions correctly, and then not make wrong decisions on an emotional level. These seminars were very well received by us, we started at the end of November. It's not about the language, no one learns Japanese in such a short time. It's about understanding behaviors and answers, just so you do not get into a faux pas.

What distinguishes the working methodology of Honda and Renault?
(Smiles bittersweet.) At Renault, I have found no working methodology. With Honda, everything is going very well.

How much can be said about the new STR13 after two days of testing?
We still have a largely unknown package because we have a new car and a new engine, plus new tires and two inexperienced pilots. But after the first two days I have to say that the individual limbs overlap quite well. The chassis works well, any changes we've made have a positive impact. I have already mentioned the engine. We are satisfied with the performance and the durability. The drivers are doing a good job so far. Also Pierre Gasly drove a lot on his day, faultless, with good technical feedback. I'm in good spirits.

http://www.speedweek.com/formel1/news/1 ... feige.html

I have yet to see a picture of the leading edge of the floor and how the floor slot/hole is handled. Have I missed it or don't we have a good pic yet? I'm curious to see how they are keeping it from flexing. It looks like they might be using the bargeboards and vanes to keep it from flexing too much.

humble sabot

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
26 Feb 2018, 18:37
First shot of the rear courtesy of AMuS:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201802 ... 6a3745.jpg
I'm not sure why, but it seems this is the only car running 2017 style winglets on the rear uprights, in testing at least.
I wonder if this relates to RedBull's choice to run without the turning vanes the other day. Perhaps Torro Rosso has taken the opposite approach hoping to work the tyres harder by running a higher df setup? Maybe the other teams are running a bit less expecting that the extra slip from a lower df kit will help induce some heat?

Edit: False alarm, I've had a look around and I must have still had the launch pictures in mind. A few teams hadn't had anything mounted there. Though it does appear that Mclaren's are less extensive through testing, so far.

My theory seems a little half baked.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Morteza

Via @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

HPD

Singabule
Singabule

I wondering if STR can clocked 333kmh at the first test with their turbojet sized intake and also Last year STR is well known as draggy chassis, if honda introduce update and turn up the engine with RB sized intake, how fast the car? And is it possible to introduce smaller intake without need to pass crash test again?

Zynerji

Singabule wrote:
02 Mar 2018, 03:10
I wondering if STR can clocked 333kmh at the first test with their turbojet sized intake and also Last year STR is well known as draggy chassis, if honda introduce update and turn up the engine with RB sized intake, how fast the car? And is it possible to introduce smaller intake without need to pass crash test again?
Compared to the Renault, the STR is utterly tiny!

designf1
designf1

Thunder

Post your Performance Predictions (and Wishes) in the Team Thread please: forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&p=743440#p743440
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Mark4211

Toro Rosso changed their steering wheel to a one similar to Mercedes, Ferrari and McLaren, where they removed the bottom support of the wheel which connects to the handgrip.

Quite a few rearrangements of buttons and knobs as well.

2018:

2017:

jagunx51

that floor slots

............!!!!