W wing rumours

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
dumrick
dumrick

Re: W wing rumours

The trick on that Tyrrell is not on the shape of the wing itself. Notice that the wing supports being ahead of the rear wheel axis, the width of the wing is bigger than if they were on their normal position, because the "box" where the wings should fit could be larger.

Exploring this possibility gave us very interesting designs in 1983 (from when I figure that Tyrrell is) and 1984, before a rules change made the wings return to more conventional forms. This came after the ban on full underbody ground effects, when the F1 engineers faced a substantial reduction in downforce and started looking seriously at wings to compensate.

In the end, spectacular at it may be, that Tyrrell design was a flop. This was the solution most teams adopted:

The "winglets" outside the main wing provided the extra downforce.

Being a Rory Byrne fan, this Toleman solution was my favourite:

The most forward wing is effectively detached from the main one and is placed in a higher position not to mask the main one. However, this limited the incidence possible in the additional wing and Toleman eventually reverted to the more conventional solution.

Keir

teecof1fan wrote:A picture says a thousand words, Manchild! :) On a not entirely related note, is there much difference between mounting your rear wing on the endplates (BMW,Honda) v pylons (Renault, McLaren, Ferrari etc.)?? Do the pylons have any aero effect? Or does the wing-mounting decision have more to do with the concept of the car as a whole? Thanks in advance, and if it's been discussed in another thread a link would be appreciated! :D
I believe the pylon or endplate philosophy heavily affects the freedom you have with the diffusor, which as we all know is where most of an F1 car's downforce is produced.

dumrick
dumrick

Keir wrote:
teecof1fan wrote:A picture says a thousand words, Manchild! :) On a not entirely related note, is there much difference between mounting your rear wing on the endplates (BMW,Honda) v pylons (Renault, McLaren, Ferrari etc.)?? Do the pylons have any aero effect? Or does the wing-mounting decision have more to do with the concept of the car as a whole? Thanks in advance, and if it's been discussed in another thread a link would be appreciated! :D
I believe the pylon or endplate philosophy heavily affects the freedom you have with the diffusor, which as we all know is where most of an F1 car's downforce is produced.
Also, from what I understood from an article in Racecar Engineering, it has an influence on the so important nowadays "flex modes" from the rear wing.

teecof1fan

"Keir: I believe the pylon or endplate philosophy heavily affects the freedom you have with the diffusor, which as we all know is where most of an F1 car's downforce is produced."

That's a very vague description and it doesn't really answer my question. In the first photo, we can see that the pylons sweep forward, and in the second photo you can see that the pylons are well forward of the diffuser. (I could, of course, be wrong)

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=1478
http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/photolarge.ph ... catID=1478

I agree with dumrick that it probably has a lot to do with the flex of the wing. But does anyone have a more specific answer? Thanks very much! :D And yes, all of us do know that the diffuser produces around 40% of the downforce on the car, but I guess a reminder now and again is helpful...

jaho101

The new wings on the Ferrari and Honda have been testing recently are basically what the W-wing will probably end up as, just a subtle W.

dr_cooke
dr_cooke

johny

it has been tested before in catalunya, also I can't see the "revolutionary" design anywhere

Sawtooth-spike

if that is classed a Radical, then there front wing could only be discribed as Bizzar.

What a let down.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!