Aussie GP 2009 - How many front wings knocked off on 1st lap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

How many front wings knocked off on 1st lap

Poll ended at 29 Mar 2009, 12:31

One
7%
Two
13%
Three
22%
Four
24%
Five
19%
Six
3%
More than 6
10%

Total votes: 67

Ian P.
Ian P.

Re: Aussie GP 2009 - How many front wings knocked off on 1st lap

Well i guess the info can be used in certain ways, but by the time they know it's not like they can do anything about their own starting load. So it just adds a different level of strategy in my view. I can't see how this would add to a race being processional or not, care to elaborate?
If as team manager you know that a car ahead of you has only enough fuel for 20 laps and your boy has 22, then ther is no need to push to pass if you know ahead of timewhen he is due in. Even in Melborne, the commentators were discussing when certain drivers would need to pit and who had to push and who didn't.

As for the count on front wings, Barachello went through two on his own. My count was upwards of 6 in the first half of the race but that wasn't just on the first lap.
Personal motto... "Were it not for the bad.... I would have no luck at all."

ISLAMATRON

Ian P. wrote:
Well i guess the info can be used in certain ways, but by the time they know it's not like they can do anything about their own starting load. So it just adds a different level of strategy in my view. I can't see how this would add to a race being processional or not, care to elaborate?
If as team manager you know that a car ahead of you has only enough fuel for 20 laps and your boy has 22, then ther is no need to push to pass if you know ahead of timewhen he is due in. Even in Melborne, the commentators were discussing when certain drivers would need to pit and who had to push and who didn't.

As for the count on front wings, Barachello went through two on his own. My count was upwards of 6 in the first half of the race but that wasn't just on the first lap.
And what about safety cars? And what if he has to pit before you but in the meantime he is lapping several seconds off the pace? You gonna lose a second or 2 a lap for twenty laps saying "oh well, i'll pass him after 20 laps when he pits" These guys should push hard all the time and take advantage of every oppurtunity... and for the most part they do.

alelanza
alelanza

ISLAMATRON wrote:
Ian P. wrote:

I see your point Ian. Now having watched the race and assuming it's a sign of things to come, it would seem that we can expect drivers to overtake a lot more. Similar to what Islamatron says, if my driver can overtake the guy ahead then he better get on with it as there's a lot to of time to be gained once he gets past. I guess we may see instances where you know the guy in front only has one lap left and it may be better to conserve tyres, but i feel the overall setup for this year works very well
Alejandro L.