Button signs for Mclaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Re: Button signs for Mclaren

Whitmarsh might not be so pro Hamilton. Its his team now and you cant really use this year as an example because they needed to pull out all the stops to get the car back on course.

Giving the upgrades to Hammy was a no-brainer, but it will be interesting to see what happens next year, but I dont expect McLaren to be doing upgrades like that again because they seem to be better prepared for next season.

I'm happy for Button, McLaren is like the British Ferrari, so in my opinion I think he had a little feeling like Fisichella did, and who wouldn't turn down that opportunity whoever your team mate was. The Brawn team lost its family and closeness when Barrichello moved to Williams.

ringo

Ray wrote:Button is going to get his clock cleaned at McLaren. His cajones are huge going to McLaren thinking they'll give him equality with Lewis. He's never going to get equal equipment as long as Lewis is there, and he'll have to massively outdrive Lewis to get it. (which he'll never ever do!) Can't wait to see the melt down that's gonna happen next year.
How can he out drive the fastest man on the grid in a lesser car? Why would Mclaren toy with button's trust and career by putting him in such a trap?
I believe they have been equal all the time. Last year was the exception with the constant flow of new parts. But most of the time Heiki was comfortable with the older parts, and either way he would crash out. Next year like 2008 and 2007 Mclaren wont be on their back foot, no experimental parts will be coming in for 1 driver alone.
This inequality thing is a media myth.
The preseason testing should show us what's really up.
For Sure!!

ISLAMATRON

lkocev wrote:How can he have number 1 and yellow camera mount, the camera mount is based off who finished the previous season with more points, exactly the same way the numbering system is. The orange camera mount doesn't go to the 'spiritual' team number 1, but to the actual number 1.
I may be wrong, but I doubt it- Charles Barkley

tk421

Ray wrote:Button is going to get his clock cleaned at McLaren. His cajones are huge going to McLaren thinking they'll give him equality with Lewis. He's never going to get equal equipment as long as Lewis is there, and he'll have to massively outdrive Lewis to get it. (which he'll never ever do!) Can't wait to see the melt down that's gonna happen next year.
lkocev wrote:How can he have number 1 and yellow camera mount, the camera mount is based off who finished the previous season with more points, exactly the same way the numbering system is. The orange camera mount doesn't go to the 'spiritual' team number 1, but to the actual number 1.
yawn..... :roll: to both of you.
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

CHT
CHT

Confused_Andy wrote:Whitmarsh might not be so pro Hamilton. Its his team now and you cant really use this year as an example because they needed to pull out all the stops to get the car back on course.

Giving the upgrades to Hammy was a no-brainer, but it will be interesting to see what happens next year, but I dont expect McLaren to be doing upgrades like that again because they seem to be better prepared for next season.

I'm happy for Button, McLaren is like the British Ferrari, so in my opinion I think he had a little feeling like Fisichella did, and who wouldn't turn down that opportunity whoever your team mate was. The Brawn team lost its family and closeness when Barrichello moved to Williams.
With Merc out of the picture, I am sure Ron Dennis will be more involve in Mclaren F1 program next year, hence Button will always be a "2nd class" WDC as long as Lewis is still in Mclaren. One can easily confirm that ranking order by the extra salary Lewis is getting over Button.

The only thing that might change the standing order at Mclaren is if Lewis is planning to switch team after 2010 season.

Giblet
Giblet

Lewis needs one more championship so he can drive off in his Orange GTR.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Raptor22
Raptor22

Eeeer No, Lewis needs 2 more championships to drive off with his F1 GTR.

Ron prmised him the car when he equals Senna's number of WDC with McLaren.

My Money is on Vettel and Hamilton to fight out 2010 WDC.
Next yeards RedBull is going to less compromised therefore more consistent from circuit to circuit. vettel will be more polished.

I can;t see Button handling HAmilton very well. Lewis has shown he can drive a bad car well, while Button has only demonstrated that he can drive a brilliant car badly. Once the other teams caught up to Brawn button could not extract the best from it. Lewis is not going to help Button in anyway.

McLAren have clearly made the coup of the year by getting the Number 1 on their car. That carries significant marketing kudo's and camera always tends to seek out the number 1 car if it is running 18th.

gibells
gibells

My money is on Lewis storming off into the distance, and then Jenson- slowly slowly chatchy monkey reeling him in once his 'hopefully crap'* tyres have worn to the canvas and Jenson is able to pull 2 secs a lap just before the pitstops. It will a very interesting season make.

* My belief (you gotta have faith afaith afaitha) is that the FOM will get Bridgestone to fab up some mingers (think Oz '09) in order to keep things interesting, post refueling days.

axle
axle

gibells wrote:My money is on Lewis storming off into the distance, and then Jenson- slowly slowly chatchy monkey reeling him in once his 'hopefully crap'* tyres have worn to the canvas and Jenson is able to pull 2 secs a lap just before the pitstops. It will a very interesting season make.

* My belief (you gotta have faith afaith afaitha) is that the FOM will get Bridgestone to fab up some mingers (think Oz '09) in order to keep things interesting, post refueling days.
LOL - Todt or a henchman will secretly slash the tyres of the leader to ensure Mansell levels of fireworks :)

I agree though - I expect Lewis to be fast at the start of races and Button to finish faster, which strategy wins may just be down to luck...
- Axle

WhiteBlue

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/f1/story/0, ... 84,00.html?

There are now reports that Button rejected a substantially higher offer by Brawn when he made his decision to see McLaren. He might have earned twice what he is going to make now in his old team.

The decision is even less understandable if this is true. It really sounds like Buttons management made a decision that cannot be explained logically. From what I read in the German press Mercedes must have been extremely confident that Button would sign with Ross Brawn again. I never understood why some British tabloids and Eddie Jordan kept saying that Merc did not want Button. That was clearly not the case.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

There are other stories suggesting that Brawn/Mercedes withdrew that offer when they learned about Jensons visit to Woking.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.autotrader.co.uk/f1/story/0, ... 84,00.html?

There are now reports that Button rejected a substantially higher offer by Brawn when he made his decision to see McLaren. He might have earned twice what he is going to make now in his old team.

The decision is even less understandable if this is true. It really sounds like Buttons management made a decision that cannot be explained logically. From what I read in the German press Mercedes must have been extremely confident that Button would sign with Ross Brawn again. I never understood why some British tabloids and Eddie Jordan kept saying that Merc did not want Button. That was clearly not the case.
From what i can gleen, its all about a year, not money. Brawn/Mercedes were offering a 2yr £7M per year contract, McLaren offered a 3yr £6M per year contract. Both teams had simmilar terms and conditions. As Button was getting more personal sponsor control, as he has sponsorship with Monstor Energy drinks, and the ability to do a couple of Triathalons every year.

Thats where i think his head was turned, over a single year. And the fact his management team wanted to put him up against the out-going champion.

One thing i hope thats in his contract at McLaren is equiptment parity with Hamilton. As it could turn out to be another 2007 season at McLaren simmilar to what Alonso/Hamilton was. But not only for one season, for all three of his tenure.

Fil

xpensive wrote:There are other stories suggesting that Brawn/Mercedes withdrew that offer when they learned about Jensons visit to Woking.
i think Ross Brawn watches these forums, and found out about the seat fitting due to goony confirming it. Soon after the offer was withdrawn.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

sunny1304
sunny1304

i dont see any hamilto-alonso situation again in mclaren because button dont have the personality like alonso.

does anyone believe that button can block hamilton like alosno did in hungary qualify 2007 ?????

and taking wrong decision is nothing new for button....just remember his benetton move....

mclaren have gain a lot by signing button...2 british driver + 1 gentleman driver who also may win a race when leiws will be out of chance to win.

button is a better replacement of hekki.....thats what mclaren thought before signing him.

WhiteBlue

sunny1304 wrote:button is a better replacement of hekki.....thats what mclaren thought before signing him.
That seems to be a very probable conclusion from what happened. The question is what did McLaren do to spook Jenson so badly?

I can imagine they served a tale of the big bad wolf who wants a German winner at all cost in that team and Haug's procrastinations helped them to sell the story to Jenson. Obviously they sold it to Jordan as well. Another fairy tale by Mr. Bishop?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)