Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

Big Mangalhit

Last edited by Big Mangalhit on 27 Feb 2019, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

hurril
hurril

Link doesn't work. (It's just a missing [/ before the last url.)

Big Mangalhit

hurril wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 11:34
Link doesn't work. (It's just a missing [/ before the last url.)
It was not that the problem but it is fixed now (first time doing those fancy links :oops: )

MtthsMlw

Still single Wastgate and Merc style rims once again.
via Motor Lat

McDrake
McDrake

Is ferrari still running with the same engine since the beginning of the tests?

wesley123
wesley123

Considering the third brake paddle that McLaren had years ago, I really doubt that the tiny lever would be a brake of some sort
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MtthsMlw

McDrake wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 12:11
Is ferrari still running with the same engine since the beginning of the tests?
Maybe or maybe not, the teams and especially Ferrari aren't communication details like this.
So far Ferrari has done around 3500km in testing, these engines are build to handle more than double of that.

Big Mangalhit

wesley123 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 13:05
Considering the third brake paddle that McLaren had years ago, I really doubt that the tiny lever would be a brake of some sort
You are right,
It true that the brake force can't be assisted so to make any kind of significant force you need a lot of leverage or vettel is very very strong. Or could it be just a small fine tune on the breaking mid corner or something? Also could it be use to change brake characteristics mid corner? like brake bias?

MuseF1
MuseF1

Big Mangalhit wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 13:14
wesley123 wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 13:05
You are right,
It true that the brake force can't be assisted so to make any kind of significant force you need a lot of leverage or vettel is very very strong. Or could it be just a small fine tune on the breaking mid corner or something? Also could it be use to change brake characteristics mid corner? like brake bias?
I don't think that's strictly true now that we have Brake-By-Wire. Maybe that is what the paddle is for, changing the balance between energy recovery braking and real braking on the rear whilst in the braking phase? A bit like brake bias I suppose but between the brakes and energy harvesting.

Sieper

Or maybe they don't want the brake bias simply to be preset going in to the corner, but want "analogue" control over the bias, adjusting it on the fly as you are braking?

Zynerji

Sieper wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 14:40
Or maybe they don't want the brake bias simply to be preset going in to the corner, but want "analogue" control over the bias, adjusting it on the fly as you are braking?
If this is the case, i love it!

More real- time driver adjustments/ control please!

Sieper

It would be a very high workload for the driver, but who knows, maybe Vettel prefers such controlability (if that is indeed how this lever works, which is just a uninformed guess by me). I am already impressed when I see Lewis etc. changing the bias lightening quick before important corners.

roon
roon

Brake bias seems like a good guess (per Big Mangalhit & Sieper). In conjunction with the foot pedal, the system could operate like a fore-aft version of the banned fiddle-brake. When modulating such a lever, would you want the car to have a tendency to straighten out (front bias for understeer), or rotate (rear bias, oversteeer)? Intuitively I'd say set it to shift bias rearward so that turn in is enhanced when needed. Additionally, would there be any advantage to engaging extreme bias ratios with such a lever? As in, 100% forward or rearward.

If it's harvesting bias (per MuseF1), Vettel would have finer control over MGUK activity.

Third option: wastegate actuator? Engagement of electrical-supercharger/full-power/quali mode as needed.

Relevant regs:
11.1 Brake circuits and pressure distribution :
11.1.1 With the exception of a power unit, all cars must be equipped with only one brake system. This
system must comprise solely of two separate hydraulic circuits operated by one pedal, one
circuit operating on the two front wheels and the other on the two rear wheels. This system
must be designed so that if a failure occurs in one circuit the pedal will still operate the brakes
in the other.
The diameters of the master cylinders acting on the two rear wheels and the two front wheels
must be within 2mm of each other and have the same available travel. The same principle
must be applied in multi-stage master cylinder designs.
11.1.2 The brake system must be designed in order that the force exerted on the brake pads within
each circuit are the same at all times.
11.1.3 Any powered device, other than the system referred to in Article 11.9, which is capable of
altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of the brake system is
forbidden.
11.1.4 Any change to, or modulation of, the brake system, other than any movement of the minimal
flexible parts described in Article 11.4 to 11.6 [Brake ducts.], whilst the car is on the track must be made by the driver's direct physical input or by the system referred to in Article 11.9, and may not be pre-set.

11.7 Brake pressure modulation :
11.7.2 No braking system may be designed to increase the pressure in the brake calipers above that
achieved by the driver applying pressure to the pedal under all conditions.

11.9 Rear brake control system :
The pressure in the rear braking circuit may be provided by a powered control system provided
that :
a) The driver brake pedal is connected to a hydraulic master cylinder that generates a
pressure source that can be applied to the rear braking circuit if the powered system is
disabled.
b) The powered system is controlled by the control electronics described in Article 8.2. [a.k.a the ECU and associated wiring and sensors.]

zibby43
zibby43