2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

bauc wrote:
23 May 2024, 13:33
FittingMechanics wrote:
23 May 2024, 13:32
I was hyped to see cars on track and only now I realized they don't run on Thursday? I thought they did that in Monaco.
Yes, this was the case always, I haven't realized that they have changed this as well.
You guys are from the Stone Age too :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:08
bauc wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
I was hyped to see cars on track and only now I realized they don't run on Thursday? I thought they did that in Monaco.
Yes, this was the case always, I haven't realized that they have changed this as well.
A couple of years ago they got rid of this rule, when the first two practices took place on Thursday.

I think everything here is from the Stone Age. :D

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

bauc wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:
I think it was changed after it returned to the calender after COVID
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I googled a bit and apparently it is because the season schedule is tight:
"However, in 2022, the Thursday was scrapped, with action running from Friday to Sunday. The reason given is to make the race weekend more compact in a sprawling 24-race season."
https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/for ... -thursday/

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:30
"However, in 2022, the Thursday was scrapped, with action running from Friday to Sunday. The reason given is to make the race weekend more compact in a sprawling 24-race season."
Thanks. I was wondering it too
Just a fan's point of view

SilviuAgo

LionsHeart wrote:
23 May 2024, 13:38
SilviuAgo wrote:
23 May 2024, 12:33
LionsHeart wrote:
23 May 2024, 12:27
The weather forecast so far shows 21 degrees for Friday and Saturday and 21-22 for Sunday. Some chance of rain on Saturday. In general, the temperature is very good for McLaren; it will be easier to warm up the tires and keep them in the operating range than for Ferrari.
If weather forecast maintain that will be good. If I remember correct Lando said in Imola he had some tire issues due to the fact that they set up the car for a race in cooler conditions. But due to the fact that the temperature was hotter he had to gently bring in the tire both in Medium stint and also in Hard stint. And after he passed the critical point of loosing the tire, we saw what he did, chasing down Max till last corner.
It wasn't quite like that. Lando experienced problems on medium tires. The main problem was oversteer in Turn 3, and when the Medium tires started to fade there was also an issue with understeer exiting Turn 12. In general, the balance was such that there was a lot of grip in the front, but the rear sometimes lacked stability and grip. Max, in turn, experienced problems on Medium tires, but his front end did not turn, he went off the track a couple of times, all because of understeer in 6, 17 turns. On Hard tires he failed to get to the apex of Turn 7 a couple of times. Max also had an oversteer a couple of times at the exit of Turn 3, and a disadvantage entering Turn 2.

I looked at the full race onboard of Ham, Pia, Lec, Nor and Ver. Lewis had the biggest problems with balance. Lando is a little better. Next are Max, Oscar and Charles. Charles and Oscar's chassis behavior was very stable. It’s even surprising that, taking into account all the problems with balance, Lando was the fastest if we take the entire racing segment. I can only imagine how much faster Lando could have been if the angle of attack on the front wing had been lower in the race, giving him more optimal balance.

I don’t remember if the angle of attack of the wing on Lando’s car was changed on the pit, but Max asked the engineer to add two clicks. And during the pit, his wing settings were changed. Lando, in turn, changed the balance of the brakes and differential to make life easier for himself. On the whole, he succeeded. True, the front end still had a lot of grip. So far, this is the second race where Lando does not experience critical problems with the understeer in the race. Therefore, the handling and balance of the chassis have changed a lot after the big updates in Miami.
I found the article I was referring to:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/05/ ... gp-set-up/

“We were expecting it to be a little bit colder today than what it was, so we kind of set up the car more for colder conditions rather than hot,” said Norris post-race.
“I think I paid the price in general. So that’s why I had to do so much of an introduction to the tires and kind of bring them up so gently and look after them. Because if I didn’t, I just would have fallen off a cliff like the others did. But as soon as I kind of cleared the traffic and got back into my own rhythm, then I felt good with the car."

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SilviuAgo wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:46
LionsHeart wrote:
23 May 2024, 13:38
SilviuAgo wrote:
23 May 2024, 12:33

If weather forecast maintain that will be good. If I remember correct Lando said in Imola he had some tire issues due to the fact that they set up the car for a race in cooler conditions. But due to the fact that the temperature was hotter he had to gently bring in the tire both in Medium stint and also in Hard stint. And after he passed the critical point of loosing the tire, we saw what he did, chasing down Max till last corner.
It wasn't quite like that. Lando experienced problems on medium tires. The main problem was oversteer in Turn 3, and when the Medium tires started to fade there was also an issue with understeer exiting Turn 12. In general, the balance was such that there was a lot of grip in the front, but the rear sometimes lacked stability and grip. Max, in turn, experienced problems on Medium tires, but his front end did not turn, he went off the track a couple of times, all because of understeer in 6, 17 turns. On Hard tires he failed to get to the apex of Turn 7 a couple of times. Max also had an oversteer a couple of times at the exit of Turn 3, and a disadvantage entering Turn 2.

I looked at the full race onboard of Ham, Pia, Lec, Nor and Ver. Lewis had the biggest problems with balance. Lando is a little better. Next are Max, Oscar and Charles. Charles and Oscar's chassis behavior was very stable. It’s even surprising that, taking into account all the problems with balance, Lando was the fastest if we take the entire racing segment. I can only imagine how much faster Lando could have been if the angle of attack on the front wing had been lower in the race, giving him more optimal balance.

I don’t remember if the angle of attack of the wing on Lando’s car was changed on the pit, but Max asked the engineer to add two clicks. And during the pit, his wing settings were changed. Lando, in turn, changed the balance of the brakes and differential to make life easier for himself. On the whole, he succeeded. True, the front end still had a lot of grip. So far, this is the second race where Lando does not experience critical problems with the understeer in the race. Therefore, the handling and balance of the chassis have changed a lot after the big updates in Miami.
I found the article I was referring to:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/05/ ... gp-set-up/

“We were expecting it to be a little bit colder today than what it was, so we kind of set up the car more for colder conditions rather than hot,” said Norris post-race.
“I think I paid the price in general. So that’s why I had to do so much of an introduction to the tires and kind of bring them up so gently and look after them. Because if I didn’t, I just would have fallen off a cliff like the others did. But as soon as I kind of cleared the traffic and got back into my own rhythm, then I felt good with the car."
I read this after the race and remember these comments. I just wrote to you what I saw on the onboard. My words do not contradict what Lando said. There was a lot of downforce at the front. You wrote only a small part of what he said in general. He also noted that if possible, he would reduce the angle of the front wing so as not to struggle with oversteer.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:14
CjC wrote:
23 May 2024, 14:08
bauc wrote:

A couple of years ago they got rid of this rule, when the first two practices took place on Thursday.

I think everything here is from the Stone Age. :D
Lando is in the spirit of it turning up in dark blue Lamborghini Miura!

chrstphrln

FittingMechanics wrote:
Yes, also. The reason given was indeed that F1 wanted to relieve the teams logistically, as Monaco was a back-to-back race. In addition, however, the historical justification for the format had also become obsolete, as the Monaco Grand Prix no longer necessarily falls on the weekend of Ascension Day and Friday is now used by the Formula 1 support series. As a result, Friday no longer existed as a rest day in practice.

I think that's a shame.
Monaco's exceptional position would have definitely deserved it.

BTW: 2022 is Stone Age?? :shock: :D

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

chrstphrln wrote:
23 May 2024, 15:59
FittingMechanics wrote:
Yes, also. The reason given was indeed that F1 wanted to relieve the teams logistically, as Monaco was a back-to-back race. In addition, however, the historical justification for the format had also become obsolete, as the Monaco Grand Prix no longer necessarily falls on the weekend of Ascension Day and Friday is now used by the Formula 1 support series. As a result, Friday no longer existed as a rest day in practice.

I think that's a shame.
Monaco's exceptional position would have definitely deserved it.

BTW: 2022 is Stone Age?? :shock: :D
This is not just the Stone Age, this is already the Paleolithic. :D and this is even older.

enkidu1978
enkidu1978

FittingMechanics wrote:
Same here, I was all set to watch it on my phone today and realised it's now tomorrow 😂

mwillems

Is there a Grand Prix this weekend?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
23 May 2024, 18:52
😡 not for me… wife’s making me go away with in-laws

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

the EDGE wrote:
23 May 2024, 19:13
mwillems wrote:
Surprise trip to Monaco and problem solved :)

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
23 May 2024, 19:13
mwillems wrote:
Hopefully she's not staying at home whilst you keep them company :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit