2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

JordanMugen wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 14:25
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Jul 2022, 13:59
I'm not a fan of Albon, to be honest, I'm not sure he can match Lando.
Does he need to? Albon would just be the second driver on a salary of around $1m USD, like what he is paid at Williams.

It is also rumoured that McLaren are interested in Piastri, and may pounce on Piastri's services if Alpine let Piastri's contract lapse by not providing a Formula One drive (be it at Alpine or Williams).
As Mclaren seem to have lots of U.S tie ins, an obvious other driver to consider would be Logan Sargent.
Don't know that he has enough points yet, but as a long term prospect and 'handy' link for 2 US GP's may be?

Edit, I mean after next year of course.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mclaren111

Any news on how Colton Herta did in Portugal ?

continuum16

I think Sargeant would be interesting, but I don't think Williams would release him; IMO he is clearly getting lined up to be either Latifi's direct replacement in 2023 or will follow Piastri if he arrives. Second place in your rookie F2 season (so far) is pretty decent, even if this might not be the greatest F2 crop we've ever seen (there've been worse too).

I have also seen (especially around the Miami GP time, but also other points) that Brown wants to be "America's F1 team." Why? The only thing American about McLaren is the label on Zak Brown's passport. I don't think they'll have an American driver soon unless Herta (or whoever else) has the most incredible F1 test you've ever seen. I doubt that but would love to be proven wrong.

They have an interesting setup with their drivers, as evidenced by the bizarre Rosenqvist announcement; they essentially have seven seats (2x F1, 2x FE, 3x Indy) within which they can maneuver drivers how they want. Lando's not going anywhere. As far as Indy goes, Rossi isn't going anywhere, and probably not O'Ward either. So that's four seats left with ambiguity; and Rosenqvist will be in one of them (not F1).

Why not float the idea of moving Ricciardo to Indy? He seems to have an affinity for America and the season is much shorter; he could have a lot more time to be back in AUS if he wanted. As for who you replace him with? At this point most F1 drivers who aren't Canadian could probably do a similar or better job than RIC. They need to look at driving styles; the McLaren car seems to require attacking the corner with late breaking (very point-and-squirt corners); RIC likes to brake early and roll the car through the center of the corner, something the car doesn't do well. I think Vettel likes his V-shaped corners (late brake, low minimum speed, early throttle), as well as maybe Gasly?
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

BrunoH
BrunoH

Herta looked mighty driving on the wet at Indi, i was very impressed! he wold be a great addition to Mclaren

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Wondering how Palou’s signing place in all of it? Third car in Indy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 01:44

In 2023 McLaren is due to be a 3 car team. The talk was Rossi joining, so don’t know what’s become of that, cause Pato is signed and I think Felix as well. The really weird part in all this is that there was a report earlier that Ginassi has taken up its option on Palou for 2023! So I’m wondering what’s going on, he’s good but surely even he can’t drive 2 cars at once…. :D
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

billamend
billamend

Palou has enough points in the superlicense to race in F1.

MrGapes

hopefully the new parts they are testing bring some good performance for France, races with upgrades always excite me :)

continuum16

Welp; they’ve signed an Indycar driver with enough superlicense points and are giving him an F1 test. They now have 6 drivers under contract for their 7 seats in single seaters: Norris, Ricciardo, Palou, O’Ward, Rossi, Rosenqvist. Plus Herta doing F1 tests and an FP1. Now they will have F1 data from Palou, O’Ward, and Herta in the MCL35M. (Plus I guess Daruvala?) The plot thickens.

Mr. Ricciardo, are you sitting comfortably?
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 01:52
SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 01:44

In 2023 McLaren is due to be a 3 car team. The talk was Rossi joining, so don’t know what’s become of that, cause Pato is signed and I think Felix as well. The really weird part in all this is that there was a report earlier that Ginassi has taken up its option on Palou for 2023! So I’m wondering what’s going on, he’s good but surely even he can’t drive 2 cars at once…. :D
Palou already made an statement that CGR statement was without his consent, that the quotes attributed to him weren’t his and that he will not be racing for them in 2023… Zak has also welcomed him to McLaren, but no statement in regards to in which series he will be racing.

MrGapes

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2022/07 ... -walhalla/

[Green Notebook] [Joe Saward]: ''Another rumour that has popped up in recent days, as the result of a possible road car deal between McLaren and BMW, has been the suggestion that the Munich firm might come back to F1, in order to compete head-on with rivals Mercedes, Porsche and Audi.''

"McLaren and BMW have long history back to the F1 supercar programme in the 1990s. McLaren does not have the money to do its own F1 engine programme, so perhaps falling into bed with BMW might be a good idea."

Once again reiterating these are rumors... but would be pretty cool

djos

Lets hope that if the BMW deal goes ahead, BMW and Mclaren wont waste 3 years testing a great PU for someone else to use.
"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

MrGapes wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 02:58
hopefully the new parts they are testing bring some good performance for France, races with upgrades always excite me :)
Where do they test new parts?

mclaren111

_cerber1 wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 06:45
MrGapes wrote:
13 Jul 2022, 02:58
Where do they test new parts?

FP1 & FP2....

Ben1980
Ben1980

I'm guessing this makes Palou the direct replacement for Ricciardo if they do mutually agree. And would put to bed other rumours.