2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
24 May 2024, 23:31
We were a couple of tenths behind Ferrari at Imola after FP2.
Not that I want to dispute for the sake of disputing, but Norris was fully matching Leclerc on Mediums and Piastri was just a tenth away on Softs in FP2 :) Regardless, Leclerc was furious today and out of sync with the rest of the grid on how much he was pushing and risking. Gaps were exaggerated and will drop tomorrow and McLaren will be fighting at the top. Not the extended top 5, "just" the regular Top 3 :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
24 May 2024, 23:57
mwillems wrote:
We were a couple of tenths behind Ferrari at Imola after FP2.
Not that I want to dispute for the sake of disputing, but Norris was fully matching Leclerc on Mediums and Piastri was just a tenth away on Softs in FP2 :) Regardless, Leclerc was furious today and out of sync with the rest of the grid on how much he was pushing and risking. Gaps were exaggerated and will drop tomorrow and McLaren will be fighting at the top. Not the extended top 5, "just" the regular Top 3 :)
I'm not actually sure what your disputing lol If you're referring to Imola Piastri was 2 tenths behind Leclerc and it was set on softs I think? Checking F1-Tempo and yeah this is correct. As for the longer run pace, looks like we matched them, I don't see Ferrari being ahead on long runs at Monaco. So the parallel stands from what I can see.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Vanja #66

mwillems wrote:
25 May 2024, 00:07
I'm not actually sure what your disputing lol
Couple of tenths is plural, a tenth is singular. And came from a de facto driver #2. McLaren was fully matching Ferrari in Imola on Friday, that's all :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CjC
CjC

Are you discussing a couple of tenths in Imola or Monaco?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
25 May 2024, 00:14
mwillems wrote:
25 May 2024, 00:07
I'm not actually sure what your disputing lol
Couple of tenths is plural, a tenth is singular. And came from a de facto driver #2. McLaren was fully matching Ferrari in Imola on Friday, that's all :)
OK, nobody says a couple of tenth. At all, and this means nothing. We were two tenths down, a couple of tenths so let's put that daftness aside.

Whomever you think is the fastest driver has no bearing on anything but if you look at it from that point of view, you're suggesting there was an even bigger gap that Mclaren got over if we ignore Piastris time?

In any case, the de facto #2 also qualified ahead at Imola having been a couple of tenths down in FP2.
Last edited by mwillems on 25 May 2024, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
25 May 2024, 00:16
Are you discussing a couple of tenths in Imola or Monaco?
I was also confused but he's questioning the Gap Mclaren got over Ferrari at Imola.

my point is just that you can't look at FP2 and think you know where we are in relation to Ferrari. We have shown multiple times this season that it isn't representative and the specific point at Imola is that when we were 2 tenths down after FP2 (Times for each driver set on softs), we were actually more competitive than Ferrari and finished ahead of them in Q with Piastri in P2 and Lando in P3.

So there is a bit of a tendency for people to see what happens in FP2 and use it as confirmation bias when really, what we can see every weekend, is that FP2 isn't telling us how fast we are.

Questioning grammar, or the actual time (I wasn't sure which as it was 2 tenths and I even made the text a link to the FP2 results), or saying it is down to which driver set the fastest time doesn't really have anything to do with it it's just obfuscation or some confusion on Vanja's part.
Last edited by mwillems on 25 May 2024, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

I hope you are right as a fellow McLaren fan [-o< , however during FP1 I changed my fantasy predictions to a Leclerc pole and win :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

I really don't know what will happen, I'm not suggesting we are ahead of Ferrari or that this will be Imola-esque in the turnaround.

I'm just saying wait for Saturday, because everyone in here now should know that FP2 isn't representative, but every blooming weekend here we are lol :wtf: :lol:

p.s. Traitor!

-Bandit

mwillems

Scratch that. FP2 might be representative, but we don't have a clue until after the event because more often than not it isn't and there isn't enough in general for us folks at home to discern.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
Oh, and I think RB have a lot of time left in the car that they have chosen not to show yet and if I had to guess who was fastest after FP2, I'd actually say Red Bull, not Ferrari.
I didn't watch FP2 but in FP1 Verstappen was driving on the edge - he was hugging walls and seemed to have to push the car very hard to get lap time. His comments are also quite negative.

f1rules
f1rules

Leclerc will get this, and with his bad luck so far at this track im ok with that, he was amazing yesterday
Then i hope lando gets silverstone :-)

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
25 May 2024, 08:22
mwillems wrote:
Oh, and I think RB have a lot of time left in the car that they have chosen not to show yet and if I had to guess who was fastest after FP2, I'd actually say Red Bull, not Ferrari.
I didn't watch FP2 but in FP1 Verstappen was driving on the edge - he was hugging walls and seemed to have to push the car very hard to get lap time. His comments are also quite negative.
His speed all over the track was significantly down on his FP2 fast lap, straights, everywhere, so that lap wasn't close to pushing so I'm not going to write Max off just yet. But I hope he has a terrible weekend :lol:

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

f1rules wrote:
25 May 2024, 08:35
Leclerc will get this, and with his bad luck so far at this track im ok with that, he was amazing yesterday
You mean how sharply McLaren drove in qualifying compared to Friday practice. To a certain extent, this will happen. I only considered two times. Yesterday from the second practice and a year ago, but in qualification. The difference was a couple of tenths. And the MCL38B chassis, according to Stella, is now more than a second faster. By the way, Lando's time last year should have been better. Remember, he broke the tie rod coming out of the chicane. They managed to fix it, but Leclerc blocked it on a fast lap. So even the McL60 without upgrades should have been faster than the 1:12.254 shown.

It is clear that, as always, we do not know what adjustments were made to the chassis, to the engine operating mode, to how comfortable Lando and Oscar felt. But what’s interesting is that they both said that overall everything was fine. Therefore, there are no problems in the behavior of the car. I think the balance is fine, our drivers just haven’t attacked yet.

Here everything is decided by 99% qualification, so all that’s left is to wait a little.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
25 May 2024, 08:35
Let's hope he doesn't bin it, actually, no, let's hope he does :lol:

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

Leclerc seems the man for this weekend. Lando P4 in FP1, P5 in FP2 and for the moment, P6 in FP3. Not the progress we were expecting. Oscar has better pace till now.