[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

LVDH wrote:And yes, you were one of two cars that is responsible for the adjustments in the exhaust area but I have to say it was a smart solution.
Mine could be the other car?

TalnoRacing

LVDH wrote:And yes, you were one of two cars that is responsible for the adjustments in the exhaust area but I have to say it was a smart solution.
Not sure if my car is the other one, but if innovative solutions fall within the regulations, why change the regulations? The last thing we need is a set of regulations that end up with cars that all look the same. Lets leave some scope for innovation and new ideas.

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote: Thank you for the update. So, can I assume that cooling inlet/outlet surfaces will have a free area for the next race?
Yes and no. They will get removed so there is no rule about them anymore.
CAEdevice wrote:Will the pressure drop through the heat exchanger (given a flow rate) will remain unchanged?
I would like to review what I did there but have not found the time. There will be no changes a week in advance of a race.

TalnoRacing wrote: Not sure if my car is the other one, but if innovative solutions fall within the regulations, why change the regulations? The last thing we need is a set of regulations that end up with cars that all look the same. Lets leave some scope for innovation and new ideas.
Yes you are the other car. And yes, I want to see as much innovative stuff here as possible. But when I said innovative about your solution I should have said unrealistic. In my opinion in real live a vital part of your car would fail. But Chris is in charge of the rules and he is not sure yet if this rule has to be modified to outlaw your solution. So your solution might live on.

CAEdevice

I agree, I think that realism should be the guideline

TalnoRacing

LVDH wrote:Yes you are the other car. And yes, I want to see as much innovative stuff here as possible. But when I said innovative about your solution I should have said unrealistic. In my opinion in real live a vital part of your car would fail. But Chris is in charge of the rules and he is not sure yet if this rule has to be modified to outlaw your solution. So your solution might live on.
I had a suspicion that my solution may not be too realistic in real life, but I am sure it can be refined to make it more realistic. There are other ways to achieve a similar solution, but I did not have enough time to investigate them and since I am struggling to get MantiumWFlow to work, I could not confirm if the current solution is effective (I hope it works as I intended to). Anyway, lets see what Chris says.

CAEdevice

I was wondering if the heat exchanger minimim area will be the same (180000mm2) or it could be reduced (considering that we can't rotate them, the original area, 200000mm2, and that they could have an angle around 45° in real applications, I would further reduce the minimum area: 200000mm2×sin45° would be enough).

I am using larger heat exchangers now (190000-200000mm2) but depending on where they are placed (forward or behind the front wheel axle), smaller components could work anyway.

I am modeling the cooling pipes too, to be sure that the car is realistic.

LVDH

Hi guys,
as you are receiving your compliance checks right now, there will be race results as well later today.
From what I see there were some close battles on track and I was right, we have a new winner.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:...we have a new winner.
The going gets tough... =D>

LVDH

Ok, so the moment you have all been waiting for:

I might have to rerun the RicME car as there is a small issue which I only noticed this morning. Tomorrow everyone else get their CFD results.

Big congratulations to JJR. His car is clearly the best one this time. Although the CAEdevice car is not very well balanced it was able to stay close behind. The others have quite some room for improvement. One of the new guys, Pure Power Racing almost manged to beat Variante. This race he once more got a penalty. Without it he would have been two positions higher up the ladder. Chris will soon release an updated rule book. Everyone should make sure to read it properly. And a very big thanks once more to Chris who got everything done in a week so you guys do not have to wait so long for the results.

For completeness here are the naked numbers your cars produced:

Alonso Fan

Congrats to jjr!

I'm a bit closer to the next car. And balance is better. But why is my engine power so low?

I have not yet received my legality check, although looking at the detailed table, I have no penalties' so that's good
Last edited by Alonso Fan on 09 Oct 2016, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

Congratulations JJR, your car is almost perfect.

Also HP-racing efficiency is promising for the next race.

I am quite happy with my 2nd place: I will not use a completely new car at Sepang and I think mine is near to its best possible performance, so the good number of points that I earned in the first two races is important for the final result.

By the way: 0.7s after a lap at Nurburgring is not a big gap.

I hope that Variante can solve the cooling issues soon (but not too soon...).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 09 Oct 2016, 19:33, edited 4 times in total.

CAEdevice

... and thanks to Chris, his detailed reports after the legality check are very useful.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Alonso Fan wrote:I have not yet received my legality check, although looking at the detailed table, I have no penalties' so that's good
Since we're no longer doing resubmissions, the simulations can be started soon after the deadline passes, Andre doesn't have to wait for me to finish all of the checks. In the interest of getting the results out sooner, not every entry will always be checked anymore - I check as many of the entries as I can starting with those at the top of the results.

Alonso Fan

cdsavage wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:I have not yet received my legality check, although looking at the detailed table, I have no penalties' so that's good
Since we're no longer doing resubmissions, the simulations can be started soon after the deadline passes, Andre doesn't have to wait for me to finish all of the checks. In the interest of getting the results out sooner, not every entry will always be checked anymore - I check as many of the entries as I can starting with those at the top of the results.
I see. It's a good way to speed things up.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

I really hope Andre has to run my car again as that is piss poor considering the basis of my car.

Congratulations to JJR.

It's interesting how all but Matteo are struggling with engine power.

Need to sit down and do some proper work on a car once the new rules are out. Haven't put as much time and effort into it as I did over the last KVRC car.