2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

geogate wrote:
25 May 2024, 22:12
dont think (and more importantly Pirelli dont think) Medium/soft is viable. It can be soft and hard or medium and hard for a 2 stop.
edit, sorry, i meant for a 1 stop
Maybe so. I was just going by last season, when the starting set medium completed 50-55 laps, then intermediate laps. Perhaps there were cool conditions then, which made it possible to limit the service life of the tires. I personally am not sure whether medium hard or soft hard is the fastest option.

I checked. The start of the race was with an asphalt temperature of 44 degrees Celsius. Further cloudiness, rain and the temperature dropped to 29 degrees.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
25 May 2024, 22:48
Marc.W wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:20
Sucks about the Sainz no-penalty, we get screwed over again I guess
Y'all are seriously complaining after Piastri got away with running Sainz off the track in Miami?

There wasn't even a Mclaren involved in the incident here and you're claiming you're the victim? lol
The Miami incident is a completely different case and stewards have shown that they are more inclined to give right to the car which takes the inside line (within reasonable bounds). And it's not like in the McLaren-Ferrari battle they won anything with that since Carlos barged his way through and Oscar got 0 points in Miami.

But anyway,

The decision here in Monaco displays pure inconsistency since Oscar got penalized for the same thing last weekend. But once again they show that they don't really care what you do as long as there's no consequences for the other car.

Oscar got penalized because Magnussen's lap was aborted after T1 and he was out in Q1. Carlos doesn't get a penalty because Albon had time to get another lap in and got through all the way to Q3.

I guarantee you, if Albon was on a critical lap to get through to Q2 and he doesn't make it because of that incident, Carlos gets a penalty ...

Elite
Elite

Great work by Oscar Piastri-Leclerc today! Norris seemed a bit off today, there was a few nail biting moments in q1 and q2 as he was the driver at risk. But Norris has seemed a bit anonymous all weekend tbh. McLaren will need to think outside of the box in order to win here :)

Macklaren
Macklaren

Norris was probably most impacted by the unraveling ad banner in Q1 getting trapped in his car. That put him in a tough spot to make it through to Q2

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Let's not let Oscar's penalty last week distract us from the fact that he out qualified Norris for 2 straight GPs.
Highly impressive, yet I expect more from Lando tbh.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
25 May 2024, 23:07
Seanspeed wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
25 May 2024, 20:20
Sucks about the Sainz no-penalty, we get screwed over again I guess
Y'all are seriously complaining after Piastri got away with running Sainz off the track in Miami?

There wasn't even a Mclaren involved in the incident here and you're claiming you're the victim? lol
The Miami incident is a completely different case and stewards have shown that they are more inclined to give right to the car which takes the inside line (within reasonable bounds). And it's not like in the McLaren-Ferrari battle they won anything with that since Carlos barged his way through and Oscar got 0 points in Miami.
It's actually worse, cuz Sainz not only had to deal with Piastri running him off when Sainz had a dead to rights overtaking chance(that he likely would have pulled off), but then got penalized later for some admittedly hard overtaking while being angry about even having to battle for a position he'd basically already won.

I hate all this 'oh but that was different' arguing when it's convenient. It's literally illegal to push others off-track. Point is, stewards should have punished him for that, but didn't. So please dont go pretending y'all are some victims here, especially in an incident you literally weren't even involved in.

Argue that weren't fortunate here or something, but you're not 'victims'.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ok bro, your bias is showing... But we're all biased ones way or another. This is sport, after all. Ultimately these penalties are subjective but most objective observers would agree that SAI impeding ALB was more "slam dunk" than SAI-PIA in Imola. Anyways water under the proverbial bridge.
Last edited by Macklaren on 26 May 2024, 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:49
Emag wrote:
25 May 2024, 23:07
Seanspeed wrote:

It's actually worse, cuz Sainz not only had to deal with Piastri running him off when Sainz had a dead to rights overtaking chance(that he likely would have pulled off), but then got penalized later for some admittedly hard overtaking while being angry about even having to battle for a position he'd basically already won.

I hate all this 'oh but that was different' arguing when it's convenient. It's literally illegal to push others off-track. Point is, stewards should have punished him for that, but didn't. So please dont go pretending y'all are some victims here, especially in an incident you literally weren't even involved in.

Argue that weren't fortunate here or something, but you're not 'victims'.
I like how you fixated on this incident which happened races ago and it's in a completely different context, but refuse to acknowledge anything about the incident today, which has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in Miami. Completely different.

The fact is, they just dished out contrasting rulings for the same action, just because the consequences were different when it happened with Oscar at Imola and different when it happened with Carlos here. And by the rules, you're supposed to be punished for the action, not for the consequences of that action.

I am not gonna bother arguing with you though, because it seems like you're still triggered by what happened in Miami for some reason, even though it changed absolutely nothing in Carlos' race.

I don't even know why someone would bring up a random unrelated instance when a driver didn't get a "presumably" deserved penalty.

Its like saying Carlos didnt deserve a grid drop here because what about Max pushing Charles off track in Austria, 2019 and getting nothing for it?

???

Darth-Piekus

Did we just trigger a Ferrari fan? Anyways regarding that matter Piastri did nothing wrong in Miami when he defended his position. On the contrary Sainz should have been penalized with a grid drop because his divebomb ended Piastris race. Combine it with double standards between two similar situations. In the end lets not pretend that both teams are equally victimised.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 00:55
I like how you fixated on this incident which happened races ago and it's in a completely different context, but refuse to acknowledge anything about the incident today, which has absolutely nothing to do with what happened in Miami. Completely different.
The audacity of talking about relevance when you guys are whining about being victims of an incident you weren't even involved in. lol

Good lord.

And no, Piastri getting away with an incredibly consequential and textbook illegal move is not irrelevant and completely different when the argument is about ref consistency. That is in fact a WORSE situation than Sainz getting away with impeding somebody on a track super hard to get out of the way, and who ultimately still gets through to the next session anyways, meaning it was ultimately inconsequential.

Emag
Emag

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:47
Emag wrote:
The audacity of talking about relevance when you guys are whining about being victims of an incident you weren't even involved in. lol

Good lord.

And no, Piastri getting away with an incredibly consequential and textbook illegal move is not irrelevant and completely different when the argument is about ref consistency. That is in fact a WORSE situation than Sainz getting away with impeding somebody on a track super hard to get out of the way, and who ultimately still gets through to the next session anyways, meaning it was ultimately inconsequential.
Alright, I'll ignore the first part again since you're fixated on that Miami incident, which again, it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened here, but you're so butthurt over that you can't see straight for some reason.

But thank you for proving my point with your last sentence :)

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Emag wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:52
Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 01:47
Emag wrote:

Good lord.

Alright, I'll ignore the first part again since you're fixated on that Miami incident, which again, it has absolutely nothing to do with what happened here, but you're so butthurt over that you can't see straight for some reason.

But thank you for proving my point with your last sentence :)
Mclaren had nothing to do with what happened here, yet you guys are still VERY fixated on it. lol

The irony really is insane. You guys are trying to act like victims and I'm merely pointing out an extremely recent example of where Mclaren/Piastri got away with murder in an even more consequential situation, proving beyond all doubt that y'all aren't victims.

Y'all only wanted a penalty for Sainz cuz it would help Norris. If Sainz was P8, and Norris stood nothing to gain from it, y'all wouldn't be talking about it whatsoever. Stop pretending you care about the quality of stewarding only when you think you can benefit from it.

kentonspr
kentonspr

There is no use in discussing Miami with Seanspeed. You can see in the Miami race thread that any arguments to be made about how the rules don't support a penalty for Piastri will be ignored and goal posts moved.

Sainz isn't in front - He will say it doesn't matter even though the driving standards clarifications specifically say it.

Not comparable to other penalties - He insists that KMag was penalized in Miami for running Lewis off. Ignoring the fact that KMag was penalized for leaving the track and gaining a lasting advantage, not running Lewis off.

Etc...

You're all wasting your key strokes.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

kentonspr wrote:
26 May 2024, 02:17
There is no use in discussing Miami with Seanspeed. You can see in the Miami race thread that any arguments to be made about how the rules don't support a penalty for Piastri will be ignored and goal posts moved.

Sainz isn't in front - He will say it doesn't matter even though the driving standards clarifications specifically say it.

Not comparable to other penalties - He insists that KMag was penalized in Miami for running Lewis off. Ignoring the fact that KMag was penalized for leaving the track and gaining a lasting advantage, not running Lewis off.

Etc...

Sainz was very literally in front going into the corner.

The only reason he stopped being in front was cuz he was pushed off-track. Crazy how that works, eh? It's almost like that's exactly why such moves are illegal.

It's crazy man, I wouldn't support my own drivers to the death like this. I think Sainz could well and easily have been given a penalty here, by the law of the land. I'm thankful he didn't cuz Albon still got through and so the situation was inconsequential and I think that should absolutely matter in deliberations, not to mention that I think extra leniency should be given on a track like this where it's super hard to stay out of anybody's way. I'd be arguing the same for anybody, even if it wasn't Sainz.

I'm merely here cuz of the hilarity of y'all trying to act like Mclaren/Piastri were a victim of an incident they weren't even involved in. Absolutely none of y'all are going to ever address that part of things, which was really my main argument the entire time, because you know it's so much easier to try and nitpick the other details.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Seanspeed wrote:
26 May 2024, 02:24
kentonspr wrote:
26 May 2024, 02:17

Etc...

Sainz was very literally in front going into the corner.

The only reason he stopped being in front was cuz he was pushed off-track. Crazy how that works, eh? It's almost like that's exactly why such moves are illegal.

It's crazy man, I wouldn't support my own drivers to the death like this. I think Sainz could well and easily have been given a penalty here, by the law of the land. I'm thankful he didn't cuz Albon still got through and so the situation was inconsequential and I think that should absolutely matter in deliberations, not to mention that I think extra leniency should be given on a track like this where it's super hard to stay out of anybody's way. I'd be arguing the same for anybody, even if it wasn't Sainz.

I'm merely here cuz of the hilarity of y'all trying to act like Mclaren/Piastri were a victim of an incident they weren't even involved in. Absolutely none of y'all are going to ever address that part of things, which was really my main argument the entire time, because you know it's so much easier to try and nitpick the other details.
Consequences have no bearing on penalties… That’s the problem… Impeding is impeding, regardless if the other driver qualifies or doesn’t… That’s the problem in this situation.