2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 18-20

Starscreamer wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:What are you trying to say posting that video?
"I'm a team player "
More than Max, yes. But the problem here is the team which must show equality and authority with both drivers.

Vasconia

Starscreamer wrote:
First of all I'am happy everyone is alright [-o<
Will Alonso get also 2 penalty points for the crash?
Same mistake Verstappen made in Monaco :-" but I think FIA maintain double standards
And Schumacher in Barcelona 2012 which runied his chance of starting the race in Monaco from the Pole. :(

ME4ME

WaikeCU wrote:How you want to put it, Thank God Alonso didn't get launched when they collided. Last thing we want is seeing a Mclaren flying towards the catchfence like Villeneuve did back in 2001. The crash would have been less worse if the gravel trap was replaced by tarmac.
The low nose probably helped and made sure the car didn't get launched into the air Webber-style.
About the tarmac i'm not so sure. He would have skidded over the tarmac initially and than crashed into the wall at very high speed. Peak G-force would have been much higher. Although it looks dramatic, the gravel-trap and rolling of the car actually absore some of the energy. I guess you can compare it with jumping from some height and making a landing roll to ease the impact.

Andres125sx

ME4ME wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:How you want to put it, Thank God Alonso didn't get launched when they collided. Last thing we want is seeing a Mclaren flying towards the catchfence like Villeneuve did back in 2001. The crash would have been less worse if the gravel trap was replaced by tarmac.
The low nose probably helped and made sure the car didn't get launched into the air Webber-style.
About the tarmac i'm not so sure. He would have skidded over the tarmac initially and than crashed into the wall at very high speed. Peak G-force would have been much higher. Although it looks dramatic, the gravel-trap and rolling of the car actually absore some of the energy. I guess you can compare it with jumping from some height and making a landing roll to ease the impact.
I´m not a fan of tarmac susbtituding gravel, but the problem here is when the car rolled due to digging into the gravel and took off, then the crash can be at any arbitrary car position, and that´s a lot more dangerous for the driver than slkidding over the tarmac and colliding with tec-pro barriers horizontally. Maybe not some decades back, but nowadays tecpro barriers have proved to be extremely effective (Verstappen st devote, Sainz shochi...) so I think today is safer a tarmac exit with tecpro barriers, than gravel traps wich can cause the car colliding at any dangerous position (driver head in for example, similar to Heidfeld in FE), crashing with a fence (wich does not absorb energy as well as tecpro barriers and causes very high decelerations) or even jumping over the fence and causing a catastrophe

Pany
Pany

Surely Toro Rosso should manage better cars and their pilots. You see the difference with respect to Topteams; they are not ready to score where they want to be. It is really a pity because the have the possibility now to get many many points (and won't last more then 8-9 GPs).
Verstappen is totally right; too many errors and all involving his car and position results. With the right race management Toro Rosso would get easily 4° position with Verstappen and maybe 6° with Sainz. Not to mention the big error to use SS again (where they thinking to be a Top Team like Ferrari?) They just had to save the position acquired and let them go with S tires at least. So a big error once more due to lack of vision and umility!
If they do it again Verstappen may quickly find a new team!!

Phil

When will people realize that cars driving at up to 100m/sec is inherently dangerous? Gravel traps have advantages and disadvantages, so does tarmac run-off areas. The matter of fact is, cars at those speed will always present a risk. Circumstance will show if the safety measures in place will prevent death, but there will never be a guarantee. Instead of searching for the 'perfect safety measure for that one particular incident', maybe people searching for a 100% safe sport should consider F1 becoming a remote-controlled race where drivers sit in a box and remote control their cars? #-o
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

WaikeCU

It's actually quite a similar accident compared to Massa and Perez in Montreal 2014. Cars touched sending them uncontrollable straight off. The cars just skidded on the tarmac towards the tecpro barriers.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

oh dear, can't comment on sainz spanish pride........ugh. fanboyism hating going on. typical.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
Starscreamer wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: Sorry but you´re mistaken, I´m not Max Verstappen :mrgreen:
No you come from Spain so that explains your comment :D
We both have pink glasses for our driver :lol:
Maybe you cannot be objective with drivers you like, but I always try to, and try it hard.
you should try harder, you haven't been objective with Sainz and Verstappen since last year 1st GP.
geesh.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think that Max has kind of lost the right to ask for his team mate to be moved out of the way after having refused to heed the same instruction himself. He's made his own bed in this regard.

dans79

Max is a spoiled little sh.. and he showed it perfectly. He has raw pace for sure, but he also has no brains, or self control.
197 104 103 7

CBeck113
CBeck113

Andres125sx wrote:
Except Grosjean didn´t change direction twice as Esteban did :roll:

BTW, before you start saying I´m spanish and I´m biased, that´s the conclusion they got in Sky, british TV. Gutierrez moved the wheel left when he shouldn´t. They draw a line on the onboard camera over the wheel to notice any movement, and it´s easy to see how he moved the wheel left just before the impact
Esteban was on the inside defending his line, then moved back to the racing line for the corner....where's the problem with that? Should he stay on the inside because an ex-champ is trying to make an impossible move? Even if he doesn't have the F1 experience as Fred does, he didn't expect a move there because it is simply not possible to pass there.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

CBeck113
CBeck113

And for Max vs Carlos: YES!!!!!! Give me more - I want to see egocentric bastards fighting for every inch of the track, and I don't care if he's bi**hing into the mike for more an advantage - he's trying!!!

Edit: spelling - what a surprize....
Last edited by CBeck113 on 21 Mar 2016, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Big Mangalhit

I agree, I love both Sainz and Max. we need pilots like them, I hope both will end up fighting for WDC someday, that would be epic. As for this race I think Sainz did well in not letting pass Max or he would be a forever number 2. But it is also true that Max, although reckless, has an extra capacity of overtaking when risking a bit, just look how fast he took Palmer after Sainz pass him. Maybe this will be a Senna Prost v2 some day.

This weekend I watched the Quali in Movistar F1 and the race in a Belgium TV channel, and it was really funny on how in spanish TV Sainz is a hero and always harmed by the team in detriment to Max and in Belgium TV the opposite stands. Maybe a bit like F1tech

TwanV
TwanV

Manoah2u, I think your summary pretty much covers it from Verstappens perspective, although its hard to point fingers here. I'm rooting for Max, so I felt pretty dissapointed with how to race turned out. STR was a bit foolish regarding the pitstops, but I doubt SAI deliberately tried to destroy VES's race, it was just a poor strategy call, in large degree as a consequence of the new radio-rules IMHO. For sure after the last pitstop it looked a little silly to see SAI battle VES so hard, but thats his call. I doubt the team will be very happy with such poor teamwork, but that's a different story.
Anyway, without the red-flag situation there's a big chance Ferrari would have won and VES would be close to RIC. Yet I didn't hear VET be so gutted over the radio although their dissapointment is probably just as high. It's OK to be angry if things like that happen (ever saw MSC looking like your average psychopath after losing out in the early years?), but no need for the world to join in and listen along. Even although it happens to the best drivers to lose their stature, I think he should've handled that differently and now I'm afraid VES made a little bit of a fool of himself. A bad start of the season, but I guess Tost et al are smart enough to convert this into something good.
Last edited by TwanV on 21 Mar 2016, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.