[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
darkpino
darkpino

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Thanks for the quick reply! When i download the software etc where can i open it in? I Downloaded the FLOW program but i can't load my car/parts in it i designed with the web-racecar-designer

darkpino
darkpino

Thanks for the quick reply! Ive downloaded the FLOW program with the starter car etc. But i don't know how to import the car into the FLOW program, or to make new components?

Alonso Fan

darkpino wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 18:51
Thanks for the quick reply! Ive downloaded the FLOW program with the starter car etc. But i don't know how to import the car into the FLOW program, or to make new components?
Hi, no problem.

As for making new components you can either use the CAESES geometry generating app (recommended) or you can make a car from scratch using a CAD tool. The rulebook and guide files are all available on the challenge page.

As for importing into W flow, I can only say for Windows since that is what I use. Make sure all your files are saved as ASCII stl files, units are metres. The folder structure is mentioned in the readme file of W flow. Make sure you follow this folder structure. Then open the exe gui and click the open case button, select the parent case (eg monaco_car_1) folder and click open. Voila
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 09:59
About revealing more details of the car: this is the car that won in Monaco. I hope TF and JJR will not see it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y8370j754744 ... n.gif?dl=1
That's cool. Your car looks relatively simple, but it just goes to show that a simple, but well refined, car is better than a really complicated car with lots of little details that don't work. Aesthetically I'm not a big fan of the multi-tier front wing, but clearly it works (although others have managed without one...).
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 22:06
CAEdevice wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 09:59
About revealing more details of the car: this is the car that won in Monaco. I hope TF and JJR will not see it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y8370j754744 ... n.gif?dl=1
That's cool. Your car looks relatively simple, but it just goes to show that a simple, but well refined, car is better than a really complicated car with lots of little details that don't work. Aesthetically I'm not a big fan of the multi-tier front wing, but clearly it works (although others have managed without one...).
Yes, I decided to choose the most simple geometry with the intention to know what happens to the flow around each detail: I exclude everything that can give unexplained effects on the flow.

The next car (MP005B, for high efficiency tracks) will be just a bit more complicated.

I also hate that triplane! It worked despite it is not the best solution. I preferred to use it on a well known design of the front diffuser instead of modeling a completely new car, without the time to optimise it.

etsmc
etsmc

With MFlow when you do the post processing it would be nice to have an image of the car either in the background or under the chart for the force development is this even possible?

Alonso Fan

etsmc wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 02:20
With MFlow when you do the post processing it would be nice to have an image of the car either in the background or under the chart for the force development is this even possible?
I also miss this feature from occfd
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

etsmc wrote:
That is something I would also like to see. I do not know who to implement it though. In Linux it would be quite easy but I do not know how to do it in Windows. Keep in mind the software is easy to install as you do not have to make sure about any other requirements on your PC, no additional software needed.
Yesterday I finally implemented to drag per part. Today I will go for streamlines which have also been missing far too long. As soon as that is done I will release this version. Next has to be the rotated radiators.

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 07:17
etsmc wrote:
That is something I would also like to see. I do not know who to implement it though. In Linux it would be quite easy but I do not know how to do it in Windows. Keep in mind the software is easy to install as you do not have to make sure about any other requirements on your PC, no additional software needed.
Yesterday I finally implemented to drag per part. Today I will go for streamlines which have also been missing far too long. As soon as that is done I will release this version. Next has to be the rotated radiators.
Yes I have been waiting for streamlines. Glad to know it's on the way. Don't work yourself too hard
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

RicME85

Something else I would like to see in MFlow....
When you import your geometry it auto colours it based of what is on tab 2. Could we be allowed to change the colours used? At present they are locked. It would save time producing quick renders, would save having to use Kerkythea/VRay/3D Builder/whatever other solution when MFlow already displays the geometry.

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
etsmc wrote:
Great news!

Will you have time to look at the cross platform reports?

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 14:37
LVDH wrote:
etsmc wrote:
Great news!

Will you have time to look at the cross platform reports?
This is next on my list. I want to come up with an elegant solution where the software detects this issue by itself.
The forces per part and streamlines are done and work! The only problem is that I am one USB stick short of being able to package it up on Windows so you might have to wait until tomorrow morning. If I find the time this evening, you might get lucky today already.

Alonso Fan

Great news! I can wait till tomorrow easily because my car is at the body shop getting a new... well almost everything
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

The new version is up. You can download it here:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-rules-files-2017/
I hope we will see some nice images of the cars with the new streamlines.

RicME85 wrote:
01 Sep 2017, 11:43
Something else I would like to see in MFlow....
When you import your geometry it auto colours it based of what is on tab 2. Could we be allowed to change the colours used? At present they are locked. It would save time producing quick renders, would save having to use Kerkythea/VRay/3D Builder/whatever other solution when MFlow already displays the geometry.
I am not sure. As I did not make the GUI it is sometimes a bit hard for me to modify it. I can take a look next week.

rjsa
rjsa

I logged on but can't see the download link for MFlow...

And I'll try your cross platform pp suggestion.

Tks ;)