Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

TPMS sensor or just a valve for rapid pressurising or depresurrising air.

Mr.G

Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 15:53
what are those big fat "inbus" bolts in the rims?
Sensor for pirelli?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Sieper

thanks guys! yes likely in test extra sensor monitoring to see how the tires heat up (pressure increase) etc.

I was just wondering as you never see these on normal race rims.

Tzk
Tzk

Maybe they use smaller sensors in the regular season? Or this is a sensor upgrade for 2019...

joetoml1n

Sieper wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 17:05
thanks guys! yes likely in test extra sensor monitoring to see how the tires heat up (pressure increase) etc.

I was just wondering as you never see these on normal race rims.
Both Ferrari and Haas with teh very similar rims have had those larger sensors on the rims for a few years now. The hole is usually filled with the TPMS and IR sensor but sometimes can be filled with a bung if needed. Some other teams mount the TPMS exactly opposite the valve to balance weight, or put the TPMS with the valve. The benefit of a Ferrari style sensor is that it can be replaced with a tyre mounted.

roon
roon

Some images to exand on joetoml1n's post. TPMS on valve:

The photo below implies a relief valve is sometimes fitted to the wheels when stationary. For rapid/repeated inflation & deflation?

Valve and plug, evenly spaced:

This photo from the SF71H shows them arranged unevenly (not 180* apart):

GPR-A

Look at the blue lines that I have drawn, Ferrari seems to be using as much floor area as they can, whereas Mercedes isn't.
Look at the green line and Ferrari seems to have kept the side pod opening as far back as they can and Mercedes is quite far forward.
Ferrari's front wing seems to be much wider (the box drawn).

Click to Enlarge

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

Hi. Your analysis is interesting, but be careful, the pictures were taken with a different angle relative to the floor, so there's a parallax error to be accounted for.

OO7
OO7

GPR -A wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 11:44
Look at the blue lines that I have drawn, Ferrari seems to be using as much floor area as they can, whereas Mercedes isn't.
Look at the green line and Ferrari seems to have kept the side pod opening as far back as they can and Mercedes is quite far forward.

Click to Enlarge

https://i.imgur.com/Mi2Md8S.jpg
The Ferrari side-pod opening is a little misleading. It starts about as far forward as on the Mercedes, but the opening above presents a bit of a false picture.

GPR-A

Blaze1 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 15:10
GPR -A wrote:

Click to Enlarge

The Ferrari side-pod opening is a little misleading. It starts about as far forward as on the Mercedes, but the opening above presents a bit of a false picture.
The actual side pod opening is steel backward, but the guiding vanes are covering and protroding forward.

OO7
OO7

The airflow 'sees' that area of undercut as being further forward than it actually looks. It does 'see' part of the outer section of the cooling duct as an open route around the side-pod however:

ringo

GPR -A wrote:

Click to Enlarge

It could be that Mercedes wheels are further from the sidepods, and not necessarily that Ferrari have more floor area. Correct me if i am wrong regarding the regulations dealing with front wheel centre line distance. In fact one of the big problems mclaren had aerodynamically last year was that the front wheels were too close to the sidepods, which resulted in too much turbulence near the body of the car. They could not fix this issue during the season. This is where it pays to have a longer car. There is less aero interference with objects on the car.
Redbull has been doing this from 2009? with the long gearboxes, to keep the rear wheels as far as possible from the sidepods to encourage cleaner flow to the diffuser around the coke bottle area.
For Sure!!

jaba.hut

Vettel lap from last day. Car looks rally railed.

https://www.motorsportitalia.net/video- ... qCKBl6aT5w

jumpingfish

Rear suspension in action =D>

gambler
gambler

It is interesting with rake change how much the nose rises and falls. Wonder if there are different height front wings for different ride angles?