HRT F112 Cosworth

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will HRT be in Q2 in 2012?

Yes - at the start of the Season
5%
Yes - by Germany
7%
No - not in 2012
54%
Never!
34%

Total votes: 307

Muulka
Muulka

Re: HRT F112 Cosworth (pre-launch speculation)

beelsebob wrote:Congrats to HRT for beating my prediction of building the car in the pit lane – this is the first year it's been ready before the first race, so we have some progress! The livery is beautiful.

I find it odd that they have a high nose concept, and then such a low monocoque by the time it reaches the splitter – any ideas why you might want that?

Not the tightest side pods, but at least progress from past years.
I believe that they wanted to re-use last year's chassis design (Hence the rules- at least a few smaller teams didn't want to have to pay to design a completely new chassis)
I'd imagine that it was just a smidgen too high to fit the rules- it even looks like last year's nose, just positioned a bit lower and therefore thinner. But to andwer your question, maybe it's to force air under the sidepods and floor? It looks to me like the gradual lowering would catch air and then move it downwards.

Of course, I'm no aerodynamicist (yet- I want to do something with aero when I'm older), but that's the only logical reason I could think of.

Good on HRT for finally running a car before the first race!

jordangp

Noticable differences (In comparison to Brazilian GP F111):

-Cascades gone from front wing
-Bargeboards gone
-New nosecone (looks in fact higher than last year)
- Cockpit in fact looks almost the same as last year, but I believe they have a new one this year (Correct me if I'm wrong :D)
- Thinner and wider mirrors?
-New splitter and floor
- Smoother sidepods
- New exhausts (Obviously)
- Bigger roll hoop struts
- New rear end packaging (Looks more Williams-a-like)
- New engine cover fin
- New rear wing (Smaller flap & New endplates)

Havn't seen any diffuser shots yet though.

Oneshortplanck
Oneshortplanck

correct me if im wrong, but are they the only team opting to blow the rear wing?
Do not argue with an idiot. She will drag you down to her level and beat you with experience.

Roland Ehnström

Polishboy808 wrote:It acually looks a lot like the new GP2 cars
...and it's probably about as fast. ;)

bosanac1
bosanac1

Oneshortplanck wrote:correct me if im wrong, but are they the only team opting to blow the rear wing?
seems like it

there is bulge right before exhaust plume would go down

................the livery is really strange

also where is the DRS actuator?
Last edited by bosanac1 on 05 Mar 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

N12ck

Budding F1 Engineer

jordangp

The resemblance to GP2 car, because the car is an evolution of the Dallara car.

wesley123
wesley123

okay so I will be the one to ask it; Where is the new tub? It looks exactly the same as last years, and the years before
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

jordangp

wesley123 wrote:okay so I will be the one to ask it; Where is the new tub? It looks exactly the same as last years, and the years before
What I said, I looked at High-Res of this car and Brazil 2011, and really struggle to notice a difference.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Looks like a good little motor there. Livery is nice.

Id recon this car will be decent out the box, however the speed may take a while to dial in.

It looks as if its sort of half ready, the front wing looks as if it needs alot more parts,almost as if this is a half way house till they get their first update package.

With the average car having 4,105Km on the clock already, ill give the team untill then to get the car propperly set up and developed to a point. Given the new tyre regulations, id suspect they, and Marussia, will probably pound the milage on Fridays and get the cars up to speed. Im giving the team untill the Spanish GP for both teams to have a propper and decent baseline.

The rear wing looks as if the exhaust is blowing it, however the DRS could be more powerful this way i feel as there will be more drag brushed off when it is used.

As soon as they have their base line, id recon that Hispania will bolt on the KERS. Id recon that the team will bolt this in about Silverstone.

At least they have got a car shaken before they go to AUS this year.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

wesley123 wrote:okay so I will be the one to ask it; Where is the new tub? It looks exactly the same as last years, and the years before
I was waiting wesley...

http://s13.postimage.org/mt3d3c107/hrt_comparacion.jpg

Clearly is higher at the front and slimmer..

306xt
306xt

So they can't even afford to pay Daniel Simon to design them a new livery... That was probably the only good thing they had with the car, to us layman anyways. I could have done a better job over a weekend. I take it the colour scheme is suppose to reflect the Coat of arms colours of Murcia???

Gridlock

I had a pair of Gola trainers in the 90s that looked a lot like that.... Also getting a bit of a Super Aguri vibe.

If you were HRT would you really be focussing on making your DRS extra effective? I suppose shake and bake is a strategy of sorts...

Still, good luck to 'em. Can't be fun being the pauper of the pack - although there's still that pesky 13th entry going spare..

scuderiafan

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just got home, saw the news on Autosport...and the F112 looks like what I imagine a F111B would look like.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Its all in the detail though :D