2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

iotar__ wrote:- Perez - simply brilliant pace, nice statement overtake on the last lap, pity he got a penalty,
Well he caused it himself. And I see nothing which might have been different. He did not have the pace to hold off Vettel on the SS and it is questionable if he would have had a chance to catch him on S as he was not really held off on his SS stint with a start from P2.
iotar__ wrote:- Raikkonen - perfect record of messing up every single race apart from Australia, this time a penalty,
Yes, stupid move...slip stream of a backmarker...but did not change a lot. The fault was in the strategy...they should have put him on Meds or stop him later.
iotar__ wrote:- Hamilton was lucky it was a track where Red Bulls were slow. What happened to their race pace? Tyre pressure transitional period :? ? It's easier to manage it on one lap so they are OK in Q. I don't know of course, maybe just the tracks. Gap still rather big.
The Bull was eating the tire from the beginning. Also the SS was gone much too early. I assume they had no usable data from Friday and just gambled on a setup. I think with a first stop to Meds they would have had a chance for the podium as they were really fast on these tires.
iotar__ wrote:- pure racer Hamilton doesn't like radio ban, didn't mind it when it affected others like Rosberg last race with fuel
:D :D
Same as Ves before Monaco: If you talk a lot, you need to deliver. If you talk too much it is harder to deliver.
iotar__ wrote:- Ferrari fairly quick, must be all those slow corners. Why would they be quick in China and Canada and not here?
No idea....same as RedBull: I guess they had to gamble on the setup and got it right by pure luck.
Don`t russel the hamster!

FoxHound

Red Bull seemed ok overtaking the Mercedes powered Force India....twice.

As an aside, what was everyone's thoughts on the track itself? Seems apart from the straight, it's dull as dishwater!
JET set

PlatinumZealot

Track is awesome and most of the drivers agreed. I don't see how this is supposed to be a dull track? Mega high speed straight, massive elevation changes, high speed downhill double left hand, walls to crash into, lilmited run off... The race itself was Ok, maybe an 8/10 but was I watching the same track as you?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Racer X

Perez to Ferrar'!
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

jknights
jknights

Phil wrote:
GrayGreat wrote:Lol. One race where Hamilton can't figure out how to correct his engine settings, and everyone on the sky team whining how silly these radio ban rules are. It's the same for everyone.
My issue is that this "issue" came out of no where. I am assuming he did not change the setting himself into a wrong mode, so the car must of ended up by itself. How in gods name is he supposed to figure it out if according to the wheel everything should be fine? Also bear in mind this is not the first time he is racing this car... and yet it must be something more complex than just "turning a switch".

I'm assuming there was a genuine problem on the car.

Evenso, i am doubtful he would have made the podium. Perez seemed genuinly quick and hard to pass. 4th should have been doable though.

Congrats to Ros, but i cant help but feel this one was handed to him on a platter. Not his fault though - entirely Hamiltons --- up in QF. Pitty.

We still have not had a genuine race between the two. Imagine if they noth had been 1 & 2 throughout the race.
Got to agree.
Some drivers are in favour of getting help from the pits others are not.
I guess if you have a problem then you want help if not then you dont care. Who said racing drivers were considerate or caring. They just want to win!

Personally I see no reason why a driver cant be told how to fix an electronics problem. This is probably a problem in the software/hardware where it can go into an incorrect mode.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

For 'modern' F1 this is one of the better circuits on the calendar.

I've posted enough messages about kerbs already, but they could make this track faster by allowing the drivers to hug the walls more, especially through 15 and 16. This would allow them to run lower wing angles, more speed, less compromised setups, more of a test of skill.

I think this race also showed how 'managed' these races currently are with the fuel limit. Everyone looked to be well inside the limits of their ability, very few wheels out of place, let alone actual incidents. Unlike qualifying, unlike practice sessions even.

These engines are feats of efficiency , but they clearly don't function at close to 100% throughout the race. Why would F1 management actively enforce a regulation that makes the show worse?

Also, I know the tarmac is fresh, but Pirelli really are not delivering on their stated mandate with respect to tyre stops. Haryanto drove practically the entire race distance on the Softs!

FoxHound

PlatinumZealot wrote:Track is awesome and most of the drivers agreed. I don't see how this is supposed to be a dull track? Mega high speed straight, massive elevation changes, high speed downhill double left hand, walls to crash into, lilmited run off... The race itself was Ok, maybe an 8/10 but was I watching the same track as you?
That's why I'm asking... only caught glimpses of the track and race this weekend, and it appears to have too many 90 degree turns and some silly kerb placements.
JET set

Phil

I am simply bewildered of the people slamming Hamilton for whinging. If i'd be in his position and seemingly not able to get the most out of the car because the car went into some mode he couldnt anticpate or understand. It's more annoying because this ultimately just robbed us of a battle that could have made the race that bit more interesting.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ripper
ripper

Re: RE: Re: 2016 European Grand Prix - Baku City Circuit, Fri 17 – Sun 19 Jun

Basti313 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:- Ferrari fairly quick, must be all those slow corners. Why would they be quick in China and Canada and not here?
No idea....same as RedBull: I guess they had to gamble on the setup and got it right by pure luck.
My guess is that RBR compromised their setup by removing DF to the rear, that gave more "one lap speed" and caused problems after few laps (RIC told that problems started at third lap) and they underestimated the track temperature rise.

FER from Friday to Saturday increased DF on the front wing, probably because the pilots told by radio that they had problems in warming front tyres on FP1&2

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

FoxHound wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Track is awesome and most of the drivers agreed. I don't see how this is supposed to be a dull track? Mega high speed straight, massive elevation changes, high speed downhill double left hand, walls to crash into, lilmited run off... The race itself was Ok, maybe an 8/10 but was I watching the same track as you?
That's why I'm asking... only caught glimpses of the track and race this weekend, and it appears to have too many 90 degree turns and some silly kerb placements.
You weren't asking how the track was, you very explicitly said it was a dull track.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Phil wrote:I am simply bewildered of the people slamming Hamilton for whinging. If i'd be in his position and seemingly not able to get the most out of the car because the car went into some mode he couldnt anticpate or understand. It's more annoying because this ultimately just robbed us of a battle that could have made the race that bit more interesting.
I think hamilton is getting slammed because of his comments about drivers moaning earlier this week followed by wrecking in Q3 followed by his moaning on the teams radio during the race.
He deserves it IMHO.
Karma i suppose

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Sonador wrote:
dans79 wrote:
GrayGreat wrote: So I should stop being happy for my favourite driver because you like Hamilton? GTFO.
Lol, why does not that surprise me. Nico definitely seems to attract a certain type of fan....
So does Lewis ....

I find your remark a bit silly :wtf:
A large portion of fans who support any specific driver/team are simply terrible people. Sport often brings out the worst in people.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

giantfan10 wrote:
Phil wrote:I am simply bewildered of the people slamming Hamilton for whinging. If i'd be in his position and seemingly not able to get the most out of the car because the car went into some mode he couldnt anticpate or understand. It's more annoying because this ultimately just robbed us of a battle that could have made the race that bit more interesting.
I think hamilton is getting slammed because of his comments about drivers moaning earlier this week followed by wrecking in Q3 followed by his moaning on the teams radio during the race.
He deserves it IMHO.
Karma i suppose
He was talking about people moaning about the track. He hasn't moaned about the track at all.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

alc59
alc59

Xwang wrote:According to me they should ban all radio and remote connection between cars and box (radio, telemetry and so on).
Then the pilot has to manage the car and the engineers have to create a steering wheel with the data and commands needed by the pilot to manage the car.
Couldn't agree more. I expect the man in the driving seat to understand and manage everything that his car is doing.

giantfan10
giantfan10

3jawchuck wrote:
Sonador wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Lol, why does not that surprise me. Nico definitely seems to attract a certain type of fan....
So does Lewis ....

I find your remark a bit silly :wtf:
A large portion of fans who support any specific driver/team are simply terrible people. Sport often brings out the worst in people.
I wouldnt go that far ,lol my take is being a fan of any team puts blinders on and reality seems to take a back seat to whatever favours that team or fans perspective of said team.
Mercedes fans: its not the engine its aero.( its an engine formula )
Red Bull fans: best car and best aero ever.(too bad its an engine formula)
Ferrari fans: the engine is on par with mercedes cause Toto said so.( Baku should put this to rest)