Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
TRICKLE69
TRICKLE69

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

I think the car looks like it will be very fast this year. Looks much more innovative then the Ferrari which is the only comparison right now. We will see the real versions of the cars at the first test. Then we can also see the diffuser designs.
IT IS WHAT IT IS

PlatinumZealot

This car is Insane..How are they supposed to stop BOSS now?

8) They do not have the power
to stop
Lewis Hamilton 8)

On the front splitter.. I think it's mainly for drag reduction and guiding airflow that comes from the front wing, It also will add some downforce due to the ramped shape. When I say drag reduction I am comparing it to what was previously inline with that position on last years car. There was just a Wall that slopes down into a corner on top of the front splitter, this adds downforce too but it really traps the air. Putting a splitter in now, will deflect this air to the sides instead so we get mostly a drag reduction. well that's how i see it.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

โ˜„๏ธ Myth of the five suns. โ˜„๏ธ

โ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธโ˜€๏ธ
LxVxFxHxN

jamsbong
jamsbong

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to the discussion but this is what came to mind when I first saw the MP4/25 car. The MiG-25 Jet fighter!

The nose and the flat straight vertical fin really makes this car look like the MiG-25.

The MiG-25 is a very fast fighter, well known for its climbing ability. Despite it was used as far back as the 1970s, this baby can climb to the edge of the Earth's atmosphere and you can see the Earth's arc Horizon.

Of course, the weakness of this plane is that it does not have agility. It is just a straight up -> shoot down -> go home aeroplane. Not a dog fight machine.

I'm sure the Mclaren car will be different... :lol:

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

We dont want the car to go up, we want it to stick to the ground.

Missiles would be good though!

PlatinumZealot

Missiles that fire backward. 8)

ANyway.. Diesel, this is what I was saying a few pages ago: The closest thing to Mclarens cooling hole under the airbox was on the williams FW31: http://www.f1-site.com/wallpapers/2009/ ... 2009-2.jpg it had two small inlets on either side of the air intake. This of course is different from Mclaren's version as seen below.

Reposting this image of a Renault to show how much room is around the airbox.

We see ample room around the airbox here.

Maclaren takes advantage of this extra space by making a huge square shaped cooling inlet under the engine air intake hole:

The red shading to the left is the cross sectional area that is between the engine cover and the airbox. The other read areas are the cooling air inlet cross sections.

LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

hmmm??

LxVxFxHxN

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I felt that something about the car was off and it bugged me that I couldn't tell what it was, but it's that it doesn't have the camera mounted on the airbox!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54DoE8T5dmM[/youtube]
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Rรคikkรถnen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeรณn.

djos

I have mixed feelings about the MP4-25 - on one hand the level of detail and creative design is simply stunning, on the other hand imo it is butt ugly (not to the same extent as the R29 tho)! :?
"In downforce we trust"

Fil

djos wrote:I have mixed feelings about the MP4-25 - on one hand the level of detail and creative design is simply stunning, on the other hand imo it is butt ugly (not to the same extent as the R29 tho)! :?
yeah you're right, its not a beauty.. but its acceptable because of the creative concepts used.

but it'll be butt ugly if it ends up in the midfield..
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

CHT
CHT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSLA_2J7QYg

If you look at this video at 1:59 sec you will see that the airbox inlet actually has a top and bottom section. I just curious there is a possibility that the top section air inlet is actually channeling air direct to the rear wing via the hollow air duct what is being molded under the engine cover.

Btw the engine cover "wing" really remind me of the flying dragon in the movie Avatar.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

n smikle wrote:Missiles that fire backward. 8)

ANyway.. Diesel, this is what I was saying a few pages ago: The closest thing to Mclarens cooling hole under the airbox was on the williams FW31: http://www.f1-site.com/wallpapers/2009/ ... 2009-2.jpg it had two small inlets on either side of the air intake. This of course is different from Mclaren's version as seen below.

Reposting this image of a Renault to show how much room is around the airbox.

We see ample room around the airbox here.

Maclaren takes advantage of this extra space by making a huge square shaped cooling inlet under the engine air intake hole:

The red shading to the left is the cross sectional area that is between the engine cover and the airbox. The other read areas are the cooling air inlet cross sections.
Can you see the seperate sections actually inside the airbox? The top one is most certainly for cooling. There is no hole where you are shading, it's just a well molded engine cover to make best use of the space for aero. Brawn also have done this.

Look at the MP4-24 airbox, if there is any hole in there it's going to end up opening in to the airbox channel itself because it's so closely modled. No hole.

thestig84
thestig84

Diesel is spot on. Only one intake, now with a divider towards the top.

ISLAMATRON

conni wrote:
No deadzone, it was just bullsh*t from somebody who wanted to make new friends by being a know-it-all.
WHY would you say somthing as hurtfull as that about someone you dont even know?

I do know goony it was him that told me about this site thats why im here and I can tell you for a fact that he isnt a bullsh*ter, ive worked with him for about 5 years on and off at different teams and companies and he is probably one of the most experianced contractors out there and although he called it the dead zone this was just him using teamspeak they have really wierd names for things such as bingo wings these are attached to the side of the nosecone :wtf: and somthing else he called elvis trousers but i cant remember what they were for and so the deadzone is real but officially it wont be called THE DEADZONE infact i doubt it will be called anything as they wont want to draw attention to it

conni
Conni, thank you for standing up and responding to someone being a complete asshole, Goony came on this site and enriched it with information that many of us appreciated, unfortunatly we have a couple assholes around here who probably because of jealousy or whatever pathetic "reasons" they have in their deluded little brains, mistreated and spoke badly of the man for no apparent reason.

As a friend to Goony please convey our apologies to him for the mistreatment he recieved by the minority of assholes on this site. His posts were informative and very appreciated and we regret his loss as a contributer. He added much more to this forum then the assholes which ridiculed him. Give him our best wishes in regard to his career, and our sympathies regarding his termination. Hopefully he can come back and continue to contribute.

Thank you again.

robbertmd
robbertmd

I have indicated with the red arrow what I do find strange about this, not sure what it is:

ISLAMATRON

As we can see the air path behind the driver's head has clearly changed between the MP24 and the MP25... before the air was directed around the airbox and now it goes into it proving cooling for the exhaust headers and other things such as engine electronics and possibly the gearbox as well.

Thanks for the great close up pics robbertmd

With JB being somewhat taller, will his car have overheating issues with his helmet blocking the new cooling inlet? Remember the old stories of Mansell having to cock his head to the side on the straights to get more air into the engines.